Who Likes Aromatics?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you primarily smoke aromatics. If so, which ones?

I do, though not primarily. Recently infatuated with SWR Aromatic for sweet cravings, most notably after something like Dunhill's Royal Yacht--to me, a nico-bomb that requires gentle withdrawal. Another is C&D's Autumn Evening. Most taste like perfumed air when first lit, but the good ones redeem themselves in the lower half of the bowl. Gotta give 'em a chance. They start to percolate and actually start to taste like tobacco. I like the progression. Call me eclectic.

Like I could tell you anything, Sir Inks. :lol:

Occasionally if I am feeling nostalgic. Grandpa usually smoked Rum&Maple or Paladin (Cherry). Haven’t found Rum&Maple in awhile but will load up a Grabow or the Kirsten with a cherry blend from time to time. All my other pipes are dedicated to Virginia’s or English/Balkan blends.

I will leave the RY to you guys to fight over. That’s all I’ve got to say about that. :no:

Blackhorse":ats6q6ki said:
I wouldn't call Royal Yacht an Aro...but if YOU want to...fine with me. I love RY but never thought of it that way.
Nor do I. Tastes like plain tobacco to me. I get a sweet tooth AFTER smoking it. Hope I've made myself clear on this crucial issue. ;)

Blackhorse":cqac9e8h said:
Does that include the stinky Brit stuff...or just the American blends?
All's fair in love, war, and aromatics!! :D

Richard Burley":l0u1f7yn said:
Blackhorse":l0u1f7yn said:
I wouldn't call Royal Yacht an Aro...but if YOU want to...fine with me. I love RY but never thought of it that way.
Nor do I. Tastes like plain tobacco to me. I get a sweet tooth AFTER smoking it. Hope I've made myself clear on this crucial issue. ;)
OK - my bad - clear on the re-read.

I enjoy an aro or two Jim.

In no paticular order, I've got these open at the moment; Firedance flake, Petersons Connoisseur's Choice, PS kentucky nougat, MacBaren vanilla flake.

I still smoke a bit of aromatics. Not nearly as much as I used to. Since I've become obsessed with burleys I don't have the taste for them as I once did. But occasionally... especially on special days, holidays, etc. To me, they are the perfect treat for special occasions.

Always liked Cap'n Black White, but its been a long time. The Boswell aromatics are good, too. Christmas Cookie was one I especially enjoyed.

In addition to the Lakelands, I enjoy GH's Rum Flake. In the 70s-90s, I mostly smoked Captain Black and other US OTC aros, but they disagree with my tongue since I've returned, even if I keep trying one now and again.

Peritti's Thanksgiving blend is pretty much my only aro. Tried the GLP Virginia Cream but it got strident.

Oh wait, Uhle's #255 figures into the equation occasionally. It's what my late Pap smoked exclusively, and I always figured if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me.

Sammy G's Fire Dance has also been known as an occasional dalliance, when I want a change of pace. Also their Chocolate Flake. But these are very occasional.

Never found a Vanilla or Cherry I could get on with. Like tasting chemicals or soapy.

Forget about the dreaded L-factor!

:monkey:

Cheers,

RR

Yah, I like aromatics just fine. They just don't figure prominently in my rotation.

Years ago I smoked far more aromatics than I've done in the past 12 plus years. Years ago my go to blend was Captain Black & White original. Now a days I'm very much into some of Dan's tobacco aromatics. Especially Dan tobacco's Blue Note. I use Lane BC-A for blending. I've smoked the number ONE aromatic sold today...1-Q, don't care for it at all. Dries out my mouth.... :scratch:  I never enjoyed SWR but I've tried and have some SWR-A in a Mason jar and find myself smoking it once in a while. 

Almost forgot one of my favorite aromatics... I R Three Star Blue...try this fine aromatic for yourself!!

KEEP ON PUFFING WHATEVER YOU ENJOY!!!

I'll enjoy some Bob's Chocolate Flake or The Mayor's Chocolate Flake on occasion. Other than that/them, I'm not an aro person!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Back when I started smoking, I smoked a lot of different Aro's as most of us do when starting out. The one I used to smoke the most of was IR's Three-Star Blue. Then I was introduced to 759 and straight Va's and no more Aro's for me !! I haven't had a bowl of an Aro in probably 30 years !! :twisted: :twisted:

I'm new to this, and haven't been able to appreciate an aromatic blend yet.

The very first tobacco I smoked was Captain Black White from a cob, and I of course butchered it horribly and it bit me fierce. I went back to it with more experience, and while it didn't bite this time, I couldn't enjoy it. There's a real artificial sweetener flavor there for me that I don't like. Same with Lane 1Q. I appreciated the 1Q being dryer, but the flavor was still, to me, weird. There was no blend, if that makes sense. It was as if the flavor of the vanilla was somehow sitting on top of the tobacco, like a slick of oil on some water. There was no happy marriage of tastes.

My great uncle was an avid piper, but gave it up later in life. I only took up the hobby myself this year, after he passed, so I can't ask him anything, sadly. Whatever it was he smoked smelled great, but it wasn't fruity, or even vanilla, really. Maybe a rum. What were the big aros in the 50s-80s?