Who Likes Aromatics?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dorchester":euqsm7fv said:
I'm new to this, and haven't been able to appreciate an aromatic blend yet.

The very first tobacco I smoked was Captain Black White from a cob, and I of course butchered it horribly and it bit me fierce. I went back to it with more experience, and while it didn't bite this time, I couldn't enjoy it. There's a real artificial sweetener flavor there for me that I don't like. Same with Lane 1Q. I appreciated the 1Q being dryer, but the flavor was still, to me, weird. There was no blend, if that makes sense. It was as if the flavor of the vanilla was somehow sitting on top of the tobacco, like a slick of oil on some water. There was no happy marriage of tastes.

My great uncle was an avid piper, but gave it up later in life. I only took up the hobby myself this year, after he passed, so I can't ask him anything, sadly. Whatever it was he smoked smelled great, but it wasn't fruity, or even vanilla, really. Maybe a rum. What were the big aros in the 50s-80s?
60s-80s, the various Captain Black blends, the Amphora blends, and the various Borkum Riffs, along side the various earlier hold-overs (Rum & Maple, Field & Stream etc.). There would also be the less-flavored 'Codger Blends' -- whereas the American & Scandinavian aro blends had a lot of (or were mostly) Cavendish, the Codger blends were generally more Burley-based (I know, vast over-simplifications), blends like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Kentucky Club, Edgeworth, Sir Walter Raleigh, Briggs, et al. A few also had touches of Latakia (Walnut, Revelation, Country Doctor etc.) with or without bits of VA and/or Perique, and some could be placed in any of the above (flavored Cavendish & Burley, a touch of Perique), like Bourbon Street, London Dock, Barking Dog, and so forth.

DrT999":fcaeoq9l said:
..60s-80s, the various Captain Black blends, the Amphora blends, and the various Borkum Riffs, along side the various earlier hold-overs (Rum & Maple, Field & Stream etc.). There would also be the less-flavored 'Codger Blends' -- whereas the American & Scandinavian aro blends had a lot of (or were mostly) Cavendish, the Codger blends were generally more Burley-based (I know, vast over-simplifications), blends like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Kentucky Club, Edgeworth, Sir Walter Raleigh, Briggs, et al.  A few also had touches of Latakia (Walnut, Revelation, Country Doctor etc.) with or without bits of VA and/or Perique, and some could be placed in any of the above (flavored Cavendish & Burley, a touch of Perique), like Bourbon Street, London Dock, Barking Dog, and so forth.
:lol: Great response, Doc. I can remember when Borkum Riff was hot, in more ways than one. And Bourbon Street was Bond Street before they got sued. I can't remember disliking any of those mentioned, once you got used to the taste, which could be horrible at first light. I loved Kentucky Club Mixture, hardly a "natural" taste. The only one I could never tolerate was Paladin Black Cherry, even though some pipesters swore by it if mixed in proper proportions with Granger or something. I've never quite understood the "chemical taste" epithet. What chemical are people alluding to? Often it's just booze, like the liqueurs in SWR Aro. I have a list somewhere (I think it's in an old Pipesmoker's Ephemeris) of all the stuff they used for pipe tobacco flavorings. Wish I could reproduce it here. I don't remember anything alarming. Exotic, sometimes, but not alarming.

Richard Burley":7q9qtsbj said:
DrT999":7q9qtsbj said:
..60s-80s, the various Captain Black blends, the Amphora blends, and the various Borkum Riffs, along side the various earlier hold-overs (Rum & Maple, Field & Stream etc.). There would also be the less-flavored 'Codger Blends' -- whereas the American & Scandinavian aro blends had a lot of (or were mostly) Cavendish, the Codger blends were generally more Burley-based (I know, vast over-simplifications), blends like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Kentucky Club, Edgeworth, Sir Walter Raleigh, Briggs, et al.  A few also had touches of Latakia (Walnut, Revelation, Country Doctor etc.) with or without bits of VA and/or Perique, and some could be placed in any of the above (flavored Cavendish & Burley, a touch of Perique), like Bourbon Street, London Dock, Barking Dog, and so forth.
:lol: Great response, Doc. I can remember when Borkum Riff was hot, in more ways than one. And Bourbon Street was Bond Street before they got sued. I can't remember disliking any of those mentioned, once you got used to the taste, which could be horrible at first light. I loved Kentucky Club Mixture, hardly a "natural" taste. The only one I could never tolerate was Paladin Black Cherry, even though some pipesters swore by it if mixed in proper proportions with Granger or something. I've never quite understood the "chemical taste" epithet. What chemical are people alluding to? Often it's just booze, like the liqueurs in SWR Aro. I have a list somewhere (I think it's in an old Pipesmoker's Ephemeris) of all the stuff they used for pipe tobacco flavorings. Wish I could reproduce it here. I don't remember anything alarming. Exotic, sometimes, but not alarming.
Richard,

For me, the best comparison is Sweet and Low. It just strikes my brain as "wrong" tasting. I have come to this thread, however, to absorb the wisdom of my pipe elders. I might also be puffing too hard. Do you guys smoke aromatics differently?

Richard Burley":4spayjy1 said:
DrT999":4spayjy1 said:
I've heard that about Bourbon/Bond Street, but I also see that Bourbon Street is listed on Tobacco Reviews as having Latakia & Perique and Bond Street doesn't list them. Of course, brands switched producers a few times, so maybe the version that was renamed had dropped Latakia & Perique by then.

Dorchester":67qtemwv said:
Richard Burley":67qtemwv said:
DrT999":67qtemwv said:
Richard,

For me, the best comparison is Sweet and Low. It just strikes my brain as "wrong" tasting. I have come to this thread, however, to absorb the wisdom of my pipe elders. I might also be puffing too hard. Do you guys smoke aromatics differently?
That depends on what you call an aromatic. I think Cavendish-based blends (as most American & Scandinavian aros are) burn hotter, and so must be puffed more gently. Tongue-burn comes from puffing too hard, and any blend be over-puffed and burn you. I think (others may disagree) that Cavendish-based blends are just easier to get that hot. There is also tongue-bite, which is your mouth's chemistry having a poor interaction with something in the blend, and puffing slower doesn't help much -- maybe a bit, but not much -- you'll just need to learn what works for you. (And, of course, sometimes any blend might bite, especially if you're dehydrated or after certain foods/drinks).

Sweet and very-flavored British blends (not limited to the floral Gawith Hoggarth Lakelands and herbal and sometimes also floral Sam Gawith Lakelands) are usually VA or VA/Burley blends and are smoked accordingly. I would recommend SG's Firedance (blackberry, brandy, vanilla) or GH Scotch Flake (chocolate/vanilla) as good examples or the non-Lakelands, GH Ennerdale or #7 Broken Flake for the GH-style, and SG's Grousemoor (Lemon Grass) or either Kendal Cream Flake (Tonquin -- a floral/vanilla taste to me) or Westmoreland (Tonquin + Latakia) for that style.

Dorchester":u3bje6wi said:
I'm new to this, and haven't been able to appreciate an aromatic blend yet.

The very first tobacco I smoked was Captain Black White from a cob, and I of course butchered it horribly and it bit me fierce. I went back to it with more experience, and while it didn't bite this time, I couldn't enjoy it. There's a real artificial sweetener flavor there for me that I don't like. Same with Lane 1Q. I appreciated the 1Q being dryer, but the flavor was still, to me, weird. There was no blend, if that makes sense. It was as if the flavor of the vanilla was somehow sitting on top of the tobacco, like a slick of oil on some water. There was no happy marriage of tastes.

My great uncle was an avid piper, but gave it up later in life. I only took up the hobby myself this year, after he passed, so I can't ask him anything, sadly. Whatever it was he smoked smelled great, but it wasn't fruity, or even vanilla, really. Maybe a rum. What were the big aros in the 50s-80s?
Looks to me like you've just written your first review!

And so the quest begins to find what blends float your boat. I think it's realistic to expect a few casualties during your first forays into piping. Review your packing technique and then make sure you're taking it steady when you're supping. Once you're happy you're getting consistently 'stable' smokes start to venture out into new territory. Rande provided me with this link when I was starting out and it proved most useful:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t19560-suggested-blends-etc-for-newer-pipe-smokers

Change just one thing at a time and repeat that single change several times so that you can draw some clear conclusions. You'll soon find a niche and remember, the journey is part of the intrigue.

Pip pip,

Stick.

Definitely not "primarily" an aromatic smoker, but there are a few I quite enjoy--Top Black Cherry, Autumn Evening, and Vanilla Cream Flake come to mind.

I enjoy a few aromatics from time to time. Nothing that I smoke specifically, or order over and over again. But recently I enjoyed smoking through a small sample of Country Squire's Parson's Blend. Peretti Ebony is good. I do like G&H Top Black Cherry as well. McClelland lists Greyhavens as an aromatic, but it also gets listed as having no flavoring added. :?:  Smells nice in my garage, and I do like smoking that one quite a bit. One of the only tinned McClellands that I can think of that contains quality burley. Greyhavens had kind of a rich chocolatey tin note that Mike McNeil claims is from age & fermentation and not a topping.

I don't smoke very many aromatics but I do enjoy a few that might be considered by some as an aro. University Flake, SG Brown Sugar Flake and Stonehaven come to mind.

Depends. I don’t care for the wet-smoking, heavily cased aros, but sometimes enjoy aros that have a tobacco taste plus, oh, a hint of vanilla or chocolate. The leaf has to be good to pull this off. Lanes RLP-6 provides an enjoyable, dry, no-bite smoke with an especially nice aftertaste. I also enjoyed the late, sorely missed Gallahers Condor, not straight, but a few cube cut bits from a flake mixed with a bowl of a nice Va or a Lat. Erinmore Flake is nice on occasion. I’m also fond of Plumcake, which I’d classify as light English, but I’ve seen described as an aro.

JimInks":mpcgjfrh said:
I was wondering how many of you primarily smoke aromatics. If so, which ones?
I would guess I smoke aromatics about 75% of the time. When it comes to which ones, I've tried a significant number of wonderful blends over time. I've enjoyed blends from Lane Limited, Peter Stokkebye, Sutliff, MacBaren, McClelland, Captain Black, etc. I'm especially fond of blends from 4Noggins, Uhles, Milan Tobacconists, Boswell, & Pipeworks and Wilke. It's fun trying new blends.

Here's what I currently have open & am really enjoying:
Boswell's Pipes & Tobacco Piper's Pleasure
Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew
Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Brown Flake Vanilla
MacBaren Vanilla Cream
McClelland M40 - Rum Toddy
Pipes&Cigars Hearth & Home Landmark - Latham Circle
Rattray's Exotic Orange
Sutliff Tobacco Co. No. 19 Coconut Almond
Uhle's Hunt Club
Watch City Cigar Company Deluxe Crumb Cut

These are all terrific!

Most of the time I have some kind of aromatic open. Not really that I smoke it that much, but more to have a crowd pleaser open and ready to grab should I go somewhere where there will be lots of people.
MacB 7 Seas, Black Ambrosia or something similar. A bit of cavendish after a heavy meal does go down a treat. I don't like any cherry flavoured baccy, but for some reason the women love that smell.

I'm with CharlG - I keep a few aros around to please "delicate company".

Brought some C&D Sweet English to our family Thanksgiving brouhaha this weekend and got no complaints. I've had similar good luck with Frog Morton and a couple other American English blends. Best of both worlds IMO - the crowd gets a pleasant aroma and I still get my Latakia. :D

There are a couple I enjoy. Bobs Chocolate flake always pleases and has some strength to it, as does GH & co Black and Brown which has a nice heavy molasses element to it. McClelland 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake is excellent. Rich, strong enough and has a bit of a maple thing going on that works wonderfully with the tobaccos used. All of these are built on good tobacco, no airy marshmallow thin flavored steamed to death 'Was once tobacco' bases.

There is one aromatic that surprised me. It should have been a failure because the tobacco is black cavendish and is quite light. This usually spells 'Throw it in the bin' for me, but I opened the tin, jarred most of it and left some in the tin and forgot about it. When I came back to the tin weeks later the tobacco was quite dry and smelled wonderfully spicy. Lighting up a bowl in a Falcon produced a lovely flavorful experience that has since been successfully repeated over and over, so long as the tobacco is sufficiently dry. I now have several Falcon bowls dedicated to it and smoke it fairly regularly. Mac Baren 7 Seas Black. Smoked fresh from the tin it's a swampy dull mess but when the tobacco is dry it's lovely and spicy if you have the patience to sip it very slowly and let the bowl go out often. It demands a very slow soft smolder. Not that it bites, it won't bite at all, but it's secrets are revealed when it barely burns and it tastes outstanding smoked thusly. I highly recommend it, if you have the patience to smoke it properly.

Besides some of the GH&Co. blends there are three that I like. Two are from the Russ's Monthly Blends series, Candy Corn, and Cinnamon Roll, and then there's Trout Stream. I can smoke all three as a stand alone blend but with the exception Cinnamon Roll I use them to mix with other blends for some extra sweetness. Cinnamon Roll doesn't have enough sweetness to be of much use as a mixing blend. However I haven't smoked much of either blend in the last couple of years. :)

AJ

I really enjoy the smell of several aromatics, but taste wise they don't really do too much for me. I got my dad into pipes and he enjoys his aros but I tend to smoke anything but. 1972 flake (Lakelands are aros, yeah? They're strange) I've smoked once before and enjoyed, and I intend to check that out some more.

I have primarily only smoked aromatics, and cigars

I think I have been trying to replicate the sweetness and flavour from shisha that I smoked primarily for several years before anything else. but only a few blends have come even close to the pure flavour that shisha can give.

ill keep going though a few have come really close, especially some of the Christmas blends each year.

next time I fly to turkey/morocco I will replace my broken shisha pipe from my last house move. and the world will become pure again :)