Who still polishes shoes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAL

Reaction score
Today, I decided, would be a good day to deep-clean, de-oxidize, polish and shine some of the more neglected members of my rotation.

As I'm workin' along, putting a bit of carnuba on a bowl that need just a touch of shine, I thought of being a kid and how Saturday mornings included "shoe polishing chores". This was always done on Saturday so that things would be all spiffy for church and the following school week.

If I wanted a little extra allowance, Dad would have a pair or two of his wing-tips that might need attention too!

Does that take anybody else back "in the day"? (I can't even think of the last time I polished a pair of shoes!)

Yours,
--DAL

Odd you should ask. I just got a new tube of polish today from Allen-Edmonds, so yeah, I still polish shoes. Guess it depends on what type of shoes you wear; I haven't owned sneakers or the like since school days, loathe sandals, espadrilles, moccassins, etc. I'll make a small concession for deck shoes, but cowboy boots, wing-tips, cap toes, and penny loafers work for me, and they all require some degree of polish, even if half-assed.

My Sunday go'en ta meet'en boots but, the ones I wear every day.....hardly. :fpalm:

Had to polish my own shoes and boots since I was old enough to put them on by myself but. not much anymore cause the Sunday best don't get worn much anymore.

Gents, you're making me feel better. I was feeling a bit like a dinosaur! :D

DAL":xp80bmb7 said:
Naw! Dinosaur's are much younger. ;)

Cartaphilus":1bnmnw67 said:
DAL":1bnmnw67 said:
<he he he> Takes one to... :D

Doing a bit of laundry tonight and noticed my ancient, metal toe, Red Wing work boots in the corner. It's not quite "polishing" but me thinks I'm gonna giv'em a once over.

You know, on the theory that if you treat them right; the'll last forever.

Yours,
--DAL

DAL":m3icngdw said:
Cartaphilus":m3icngdw said:
DAL":m3icngdw said:
<he he he> Takes one to... :D

Doing a bit of laundry tonight and noticed my ancient, metal toe, Red Wing work boots in the corner. It's not quite "polishing" but me thinks I'm gonna giv'em a once over.

You know, on the theory that if you treat them right; the'll last forever.

Yours,
--DAL
I had to wear steel toes when I was with the railroad, and I think your feet, mainly your toes will wear out before they ever will no matter how there taken care of. I hated them then and still hate'em. And no, I didn't have cheap ones, I don't remember the brand but, I think it started with a "W"? :scratch:

My Horse hauling boots were saddle soaped and polished weekly.
My chemical hauling boots were never so much as wiped off from cradle to grave. Latex, emulsion, Oil, and basically anything else you can stick in a 407 or a damnable rubber lined 412 will pretty much wreck your new boots "those are nice" in one haul. Lol

Now that I'm retired, boots? Nope. I may put tennis shoes on but it's usually Nike Slides.

I always remember my father telling me that you can learn a lot about a man by the way his shoes look. I took it to mean attention to detail and the desire to have the "complete package." When you walk around, look at the shoes of men/women in business attire. I would say well over half of them are wearing shoes they have had since their high school graduation and wore through a mud slide. Not that it means anything about the person, it just looks like they couldn't bother to put a little extra effort in their appearance.

So yes, I polish my shoes regularly (even my golf shoes). On an other note, I find it to be very therapeutic. I know that sounds weird, but I kinda lose my self in thought while I shine my shoes.

Me!  I polish my shoes, a lot!

My earliest memories of shoe polishing is with my father who, every morning, used to pull out the shoe shine kit so he, my brother and I could shine our work and school shoes.  I can remember that dad's shoe shine kit was kept in a wooden box that contained egg powder from WWII; eggs of course were rationed so powdered eggs were the closest most folks got to the real thing.  I've never forgotten that box.

In a former, fairly recent role, I used 'spit and polish' every day.  Now that I've 'retired' and taken on another work role I bought a good pair of brogues and derbys.  Perhaps due to my spit and polish days I take great pride in polishing these almost on a daily basis.  As per Mo's comments I find the whole experience therapeutic and each time it reminds me of those early days with father.  I've no idea where the egg box went, but I now use an old ammo tin to keep my shoe shine kit in.  Works a treat!

Back in the day when we would interview prof/tech level folks for employment.. we always checked shoe care or lack off. You wouldn't believe some of the messes we ran into.

You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes.  And don't even get me started on seeing a guy in a suit without a shoeshine :evil: !

Idlefellow":afjydkmt said:
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his shoes.  And don't even get me started on seeing a guy in a suit without a shoeshine :evil: !
These guys would show up in expensive suits wearing expensive watches but their shoes looked like crap.. poor polish jobs and worn down heels and soles. Not to mention couldnt they watch a video about how to tie a tie?

I still have Grandpa's shoe shine box. Has the foot rest and all the goodies. I still have four or five pairs of shoes I shine when they need it. They all have their own boxes I keep them in so it keeps them dust free. I've got a couple of pairs of jump boots that take polish as well, they however reside in the back of the closet in the bug out bags.

used to find polishing shoes and bulling boots to a high gloss quite therapeutic, especially my parade boots, it felt like an achievement to have a shine on them that you could use to shave lol.

these days I hardly wear shoes at all, had an accident that left me with nasty sciatica and now I cant wear anything that has a heel.

wear the dreaded crocs in work mostly because they weigh nothing, and if the sciatica bites I can just kick em off for a few hrs until it subsides again.

saves taking tons of drugs to supress the pain that turn me into a zombie.

kitobi":tddwc6vv said:
used to find polishing shoes and bulling boots to a high gloss quite therapeutic, especially my parade boots, it felt like an achievement to have a shine on them that you could use to shave lol.

these days I hardly wear shoes at all, had an accident that left me with nasty sciatica and now I cant wear anything that has a heel.

wear the dreaded crocs in work mostly because they weigh nothing, and if the sciatica bites I can just kick em off for a few hrs until it subsides again.

saves taking tons of drugs to supress the pain that turn me into a zombie.
What Service were you in mate?

As an Army brat and son of a retired SGM, my brother and I were well acquainted with shining shoes. In our house, Saturday was "shoe day" when all of his and our shoes were shined and then inspected. If they met his approval and chores were completed, the rest of the day was ours.

I'm still a wing-tip guy for work and while I shine my shoes and boots, it's not with the same frequency. My father is now legally blind, but sometimes I'm still embarrassed by my shoes even though I know he can't see them any longer. Of course I still shine his Sunday shoes for him.

I mentioned how therapeutic and nostalgic it felt to polish up my leather footwear to a good friend of mine. He's about 15 years my junior. (Saddly, he isn't a piper.)

His reaction was one of amusement. When asked what tickled him about it, he replied it was how my having "Saturday chores" reminded him of our age difference.  :D

Now, about a week later, he reported that after a trip to Walmart, followed by a couple of YouTube searches, he had proudly produced a few pair of nicely shined shoes!

Then the remarkable thing. "I dunno. I think my shoes seem happier." It was my turn to be amused.

I had to tell him that it wasn't just his imagination. They ARE happier. Just like when your car seems happier after a day at the spa (oil change, wash, vacuum, and wax).

Just had to share that.
--DAL

What Service were you in mate?[/quote]

Hiya Stick

been in the NHS since '98
I joined as TA and the Devon and Dorset's from 2001 til 2007 and they were disbanded and became "The Rifles" luckily enough I was present at Exeter cathedral when the colours were laid down.

I "retired" in 2013 approx. 5 years after completing my sergeants exams and moved onto teaching pre services cohorts and university OTC until I hit my 40's,
then it was time to bow out gracefully, there's only so long you can keep up with a fresh group of 17 year olds every 16 weeks lol.
plus holding down a full time job as well.

Having grown up with a father who had been in the 82nd Airborne and myself having been in the Marines shining shoes and boots was standard procedure in my house though I don't do it as much these days ! :twisted: :twisted: When I was growing up, Saturday was "shine day" and I still find myself shining my few pairs of shoes and boots then today !! Since I'm retired now, a good saddle soaping with a buff is pretty much all I do now. KISS it !! :twisted: :twisted: