Whoa, check out tobacco reviews

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackhorse":5874rrhh said:
So...the only way you can browse now is via brand? Not by blend name or rating as you used to be able to do? I don't like THAT.
Use "search" to browse tobaccos. The following terms can be used:
Name of Tobacco
Brand
Blended By
Manufactured By
Country
Blend Type
Contents
Exclude Contents
Flavors
Cut
Packaging
Avg. Strength
Avg. Flavoring
Avg. Taste
Avg. Room Note
Rating
Min. # Reviews
Reviewed By Favorites
Review Text
Production
List

If you use none of the fields you'll get a list of every tobacco. Specify any item in the list and it will reduce the results to all tobaccos with those descriptors. You can search by flavoring and rating, for example, and get a list of all highly-recommended apricot-flavored tobaccos (if any exist). Any permutation is possible.

First post for perhaps our newest member. Welcome.

------------------

Yeah, yeah...got it figured out.

If I want to "browse" by blend name as before I just enter the first letter of the blend as the search perameter and it pulls up all those starting with that letter. Etc., etc., etc.

I'm liking the new format a lot. Glad to see the change. :) 

AJ

I really don't like the "rate this review" option. Too much chance for corruption. I've seen some blend reviews get lots of unhelpful" hits on most of their four star reviews. I've seen the reverse happen, too. Some of people pushing buttons are trying to justify their low or high reviews by doing this. I think they should let the reviews - for good or ill - speak for themselves.

JimInks":gf3mlyl6 said:
I really don't like the "rate this review" option. Too much chance for corruption. I've seen some blend reviews get lots of unhelpful" hits on most of their four star reviews. I've seen the reverse happen, too.
I've seen that, too. Fortunately, you can still sort by date. I hope that setting is the default for new users.

The only purpose I see in the rating option is linked to the whole badge system. You know, kind of like earning gamer points on XBOX live? When applied to the art enjoying tobacco this is absolutely ridiculous & hilarious, but some folks love when there's some sort of incentive feature installed. I tend to agree that the rating system (at least rating reviews down) doesn't seem to have much of a purpose, unless you enjoy being able to chip on the truly lousy one to two word reviews like -  "Ghastly Stuff!" or "The Best".

Rating up reviews, seems to be a bit of a popularity contest. And of course there are reviewers who are legendary, but some of those guys are/were cranking out reviews for the sake of cranking them out, and there's very little substance to their writing or the information they give, other than just I like this blend or I don't. Oh well.

The search and sort features are improved and I enjoy that. It looks a little better as well.

DrumsAndBeer":1mri9xr0 said:
The only purpose I see in the rating option is linked to the whole badge system. You know, kind of like earning gamer points on XBOX live? When applied to the art enjoying tobacco this is absolutely ridiculous & hilarious, but some folks love when there's some sort of incentive feature installed. I tend to agree that the rating system (at least rating reviews down) doesn't seem to have much of a purpose, unless you enjoy being able to chip on the truly lousy one to two word reviews like -  "Ghastly Stuff!" or "The Best".

Rating up reviews, seems to be a bit of a popularity contest. And of course there are reviewers who are legendary, but some of those guys are/were cranking out reviews for the sake of cranking them out, and there's very little substance to their writing or the information they give, other than just I like this blend or I don't. Oh well.

The search and sort features are improved and I enjoy that. It looks a little better as well.
I agree with your first paragraph on all counts. I also think there's people who have grudges against some tobaccos, and will downgrade anyone who positively reviews something they hate. I've seen a couple of tobaccos where all the 3 and 4 reviews are given an "unhelpful" nod, but the two or three one star reviews were given positive nods. I've seen the reverse, too. Childish! Unnecessary! And awarding badges... well, who needs them except for those lacking in self esteem?

I totally agree with your second and third paragraphs, too. I write reviews because I enjoy it, and like to compare/contrast my impressions with others. Writing helpful reviews gives back to the community, and we both have seen numerous people who care more about racking up a review total than they care about being honest. Well, maybe I'm taking it a little too seriously, but only because I want good info out there without the stain of popularity contests.

JimInks":oi21v5d8 said:
I agree with your first paragraph on all counts. I also think there's people who have grudges against some tobaccos, and will downgrade anyone who positively reviews something they hate. I've seen a couple of tobaccos where all the 3 and 4 reviews are given an "unhelpful" nod, but the two or three one star reviews were given positive reviews. I've seen the reverse, too. Childish! Unnecessary! And awarding badges... well, who needs them except for those lacking in self esteem?

I totally agree with your second and third paragraphs, too. i write reviews because I enjoy it, and like to compare/contrast my impressions with others. Writing helpful reviews gives back to the community, and we both have seen numerous people who care more about racking up a review total than they care about being honest. Well, maybe I'm taking it a little too seriously, but only because I want good info out there without the stain of popularity contests.
Very true. Looking at the downed reviews that I have racked up, upon thorough inspection someone really hates Haddo's Delight and FVF. Both four star smokes in my book, not so much in someone else's.  :lol: 

I enjoy reviewing tobaccos for the same reasons, plus I have always enjoyed writing. Having an automatic topic that I am passionate about is a double win. If only I could get more piping in.

DrumsAndBeer":xsck6sl3 said:
Very true. Looking at the downed reviews that I have racked up, upon thorough inspection someone really hates Haddo's Delight and FVF. Both four star smokes in my book, not so much in someone else's.  :lol:
Yep. Several other GLP blends as well, I noticed.