Why are McC Orientals so unique?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowroll

Reaction score
As you might  have noticed from some of my recent posts, I've become pretty damn obsessed with mixing McC Yenice Agonya and Smyrna #1 with various latakias. These beauties have a floral, herby kind of flavor that reminds me of the components of the revered old Sobranie. They really stand out when mixed in a blend, and make them very reminiscent of the blends of old.  

However, no other Smynas or yenidje tobac that I've  bought are anywhere as distinctive. Is McC sitting on some really rare stuff or are they alchemists with some undisclosed toppings? I'd love to know.

I'll say this...

Whoever grades and buys their crops, have a great eye and better knowledge of their craft. And yes, they have a distinct casing... Not to mention they have 'the knack'...

Slowroll":2lw7k4b8 said:
As you might  have noticed from some of my recent posts, I've become pretty damn obsessed with mixing McC Yenice Agonya and Smyrna #1 with various latakias. These beauties have a floral, herby kind of flavor that reminds me of the components of the revered old Sobranie. They really stand out when mixed in a blend, and make them very reminiscent of the blends of old.  

However, no other Smynas or yenidje tobac that I've  bought are anywhere as distinctive. Is McC sitting on some really rare stuff or are they alchemists with some undisclosed toppings? I'd love to know.
Can't answer your question unfortunately!! However, your observation/s have piqued my curiosity as I have quite a few of these 'baccy's stashed away in the cellar and (disclaimer here!!) have never smoked any of them!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Well, one can only speculate on McClelland's process.

But I would say it's a combination of Mike McNeil's experience with sourcing tobaccos and his connections. The Pipes Magazine Radio Show had a 2 part interview with him and he discusses a lot interesting things about McClelland. For some years they floundered in a tiny niche and the business was helped by Mike's big tobacco connections. I believe there's also a segment where he discusses how he grades tobaccos and when he finds a tobacco he thinks will make the grade, he buys a bit of it, tastes it, blends with it, but if it doesn't turn out well in a blend it's a no go & he's not left with a bunch of leaf to use that doesn't work. I guess he's had several experiences where he's gotten a hold of tobacco that he thinks is absolutely primo, only to find that it doesn't hold in their recipes. If it does work though, obviously he buys it up. For the Orientals, I can only assume that he's got some very old, well established connections.

Hey Ozark and DrumsAndBeer, good observations and thanks. They surely have the knack indeed. Some of their tobaccos  must be sourced from some   old, remote location known only to Rod Sirling in a time warp.  They create some tobaccos with truly unique flavors that aren't aromatics (or artificial aros, anyway).  Too bad some of their best isn't in bulk. I'd like a couple lbs of the ones I've mentioned. Guess I'll have bite the bullet and buy a case of tins. I've tried every supplier's blending oriental tobac, and none of them resemble  these.

ftrplt":jlvv326d said:
Slowroll":jlvv326d said:

Can't answer your question unfortunately!! However, your observation/s have piqued my curiosity as I have quite a few of these 'baccy's stashed away in the cellar and (disclaimer here!!) have never smoked any of them!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Well, smoke'em  already, you'll like them, especially mixed with the Balkan blends. They're as satisfying as a nice barrel roll on a CAVU  day.

I have always thought that McClelland tobaccos were the highest quality available, ever since I discovered them in the '70s. Doesn't surprise me that their orientals would be "unique." I have this subconscious image of them carefully placing each strand of tobacco in the tin individually--an image only compromised by finding the occasional stem. Seriously, they know what they're doing, them there McNiels, big time.

Don’t get me wrong. McClelland was one of my first great loves. I still consider some of their blends to be among the very best of their kind...Honeydew in the 221b series among them. And certainly they have been a positive force in the development of the industry. An important company in many regards.

I have assumed that it is Mary, who has strong connections in Greece and Macedonia, who provides the link to the small farmers who grow the varietals.

hp
les

lestrout":0nuok7o9 said:
I have assumed that it is Mary, who has strong connections in Greece and Macedonia, who provides the link to the small farmers who grow the varietals.

hp
les
That would explain it. She knows who has those donkey carts full of tobacco grown in old forest loam tended by balksn gnomes.

I'm glad to see the love being shown The Grand Oriental Series, and especially Yenice Agonya. I've been a big fan of them ever since they came out ten years ago. My only wish is that they would release some without having virginias mixed in the tin.

I know that they were released after the February '07 cutoff Deeming date. But I had read in one of the forums about a year ago that the Grand Oriental Series was going to be discontinued. I've not been able to find the original post and I've never heard it mentioned again. I sent an email to the Mcneils but haven't heard back. Who knows, but I'll keep enjoying it and stocking up just the same.

I hope that isn't the case, I'll  need to  buy a lifetime supply.   :affraid:

No one's said it but we all know it's the ketchup they use in all their blends!! :pig: :pig:

I know what you mean. It's hard enough trying to stock up on post '07 blends that I love. Then again it's third hand info off the internet. Let's hope that it's just some bad information....but better safe than sorry.

monbla256":9vlyknzu said:
No one's said it but we all know it's the ketchup they use in all their blends!! :pig: :pig:
WOW!! I just LOVE that ketchup aroma when I open a fresh tin, I really do! It proofs it's the real McCoy

Now all you Mc C ballbusters out there have just demonstrated your burned out sniffers. The ones I'm talking about smell  like olives and Jasmine ! And my sniffer isn't  that good. :p

Slowroll":qm4zcs3r said:
Now all you Mc C ballbusters out there have just demonstrated your burned out sniffers. The ones I'm talking about smell  like olives and Jasmine ! And my sniffer isn't  that good. :p
:cheers: :bounce: :cheers: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: