Why such a Slow down on this site?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip48

Reaction score
This place use to be hoppin' pretty good, but now it's just here and some post, but nothing like when I joined. Hope I didn't jinx it here.

Is there something with time of year or just what? I know on my fishing boards they get slow, but usually is linked to less fishing and tying going on. Surely there is not a slow time on a pipe smoking site huh?

Where is everyone that use to be so active?

Skip

It goes in cycles. Some times the season, some times issue that arise on the board. I've been working a lot and when off I've hardly been home at all but I seem to be getting back to normal now.

No Skip, it's you!!! :lol: The words out you joined and the BoB's are bailing left and right!

Or it could just be a slow period, as Jason indicated. Just post a message like "free tobacco to the first 10,000 respondents" and I'll bet you could get things hopping? :lol:

Natch

Probably the season. However, I know that some have bailed after some recent exchanges that went sideways.......... :shock:

Skip: It's my fault, it usually is, so I'll fess up even if it isn't :p

Some of you guys are just too funny!

Hate to hear there was some issues, but I also know that stuff happens. I was a mod on a football board for a long time starting about 1997 and the board didn't have great controls so problems happened a lot. Now I have been a mod on Crappie.com for a good while and we have our little issues too, but there are so many active members that you hardly notice when stuff happens.

Hopefully some will come back if they are welcome and if not so be it. Also tis the season isn't it when everyone's busy.

Skip

do you pronounce it crappie or croppie?

Northerners usually pronounce it croppie, Southerners crappie :|

People come and go I guess. I know I do go in cycles, depending on how much time I have and how ravenous my interest in the hobby is at the time. It's a shame people left, but what can you do.

hobie1dog":etxo1mta said:
do you pronounce it crappie or croppie?

Northerners usually pronounce it croppie, Southerners crappie :|
I have a tendency to call them croppie, but as a kid it was white perch. Now just across the state line it's Sac-a-lait (pronounced sock a ley) and in Florida is's Speck's. So they are called a lot of things, but always good to eat, LOL!

Skip

Skip --

The middle of October (which is when you arrived) was the anomaly, not now. There were several newcomers with lots of passion and excitement who asked a lot of questions and posted 10X per day or more. Then they got their fill and moved on, and/or burned out on the whole forum thing. If you stay around long enough you'll see the pattern repeat many times.

From what I've seen that tends to happen on most hobby related forums from time to time. Game sites tend to be similar.

Myself I tend to go through phases of interest also, but rarely do I abandon something altogether once I get into it...some people just move on completely though.

Personally I've been busy as all hell at work, which is often when I spend time on BoB when it's slower (shhh...don't tell my boss. He thinks I am researching Insurance stuff).

My wife decided she wants to be a speech therapist so has started going to school for that part time, plus working 60+ hours a week herself. This of course means more housework for me...which of course means even less "me" time to spend on the interwebz. On top of that, it's getting cold so my long evenings in the sun with a pipe on the back porch are over for this year and have become a couple hours in the basement before bed until spring rolls around again.

Add that to a serious lack of money for PAD/TAD at the current moment and...well, you get the point. Not much new in my racks to talk about, and the smoking time I do have I spend on stuff I know I like rather than trying and exploring new blends so no exciting discoveries to share.

PS - The best thing to do for a slow forum is to post something in it yourself! Well done! :cheers:

Skip48":k302ymzb said:
Some of you guys are just too funny!

Hate to hear there was some issues, but I also know that stuff happens. I was a mod on a football board for a long time starting about 1997 and the board didn't have great controls so problems happened a lot. Now I have been a mod on Crappie.com for a good while and we have our little issues too, but there are so many active members that you hardly notice when stuff happens.

Hopefully some will come back if they are welcome and if not so be it. Also tis the season isn't it when everyone's busy.

Skip

How the heck can anyone argue about crappies? :shock:

While I don't post a lot most of the time, I usually check the board every day or at least once a week. I've noticed the waxing and waning of activity several times, it's just how it goes. Several new members join, lots of enthusiasm, some stay, some go, it's a lot like life, things change.. I know I've gotten into some hobbies/friendships that seemed awesome for a while, but died down or completely after a while.. pipes always seem to stay in one form or another for me.. I think because I value the folks here and in the pipe world in general.. anyway, off my little soapbox now lol.