Will we see tinned Amphora? Seems expensive for pouched

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
Amphora costs $68 a pound. Man, that's expensive for a pouch packaged tobacco. Seems like for that money we should be getting tins. St Bruno ready rubbed is even worse at almost $150 a pound which makes it by far the most expensive non-tinned tobacco as far as I can find (Tabac Manil comes in at $113 per pound.)

No way am I going to pay those prices especially with so many excellent blends available for much less. I won't miss what I've never had. :)

AJ

Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs is more expensive than St. Bruno. I think that's the most expensive pouch tobacco in the USA.

JimInks":necwb07h said:
Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs is more expensive than St. Bruno. I think that's the most expensive pouch tobacco in the USA.
I have to agree!

Yeah at $167 a pound for the Salty Dogs wins. Seems wrong to have such an expensive tobacco in such crappy packaging.

Amphora used to be available in big tins. I'm no sure about the quantity, though, if it was 7oz or 12oz...And I don't think it was vacuum sealed either.
It sure would be nice to see them reintroduced, for sure.

I can't see any Amphora blend being sold in tins again. The trend for bigger size tins is down ward. People prefer to buy the small size packages, even though the value is in bigger tins and tubs. Why this is, I don't know, but I've heard this from two e-tailers.

I don't see why they wouldn't do either 1.75-2oz or 3.5oz tins. Since it's made by MacBaren now.

Lord Guyrox":g1y92si0 said:
Amphora used to be available in big tins. I'm no sure about the quantity, though, if it was 7oz or 12oz...And I don't think it was vacuum sealed either.
It sure would be nice to see them reintroduced, for sure.
I had a 10 oz vacuum sealed tin of Amphora Red given to me in the form of a bomb in 2014. Back in the day when you could pick up a tin at the grocery store or pharmacy, they were 12 oz, and had a screw top with a heavy plastic bag inside that was held closed with a fancy bread tie essentially. These tins were NOT even pretending to be vacuum sealed.

ZeroContent":drwghrbj said:
I don't see why they wouldn't do either 1.75-2oz or 3.5oz tins.  Since it's made by MacBaren now.
I suspect it has something to do with profit. I'm pretty sure that the metal tins cost more than the materials they are using now for packaging. This is just my opinion. I don't have any data to support my claims. :)

AJ

I would think even if they raised the price for the cost of the tin from say the current 7.50 to 8.50 people would still buy it, and might buy more. Of course look at the St Bruno example. The flake is tinned and cost the same for the same weight of the pouched ready-rubbed.

ZeroContent":xde55tbg said:
I would think even if they raised the price for the cost of the tin from say the current 7.50 to 8.50 people would still buy it, and might buy more.  Of course look at the St Bruno example.  The flake is tinned and cost the same for the same weight of the pouched ready-rubbed.
You complained about the price, but are willing to spend more so you can have it in a tin the same size? Help me understand that. These blends aren't going to improve with age if that's what you have in mind.

I explained earlier that pipe smokers on the whole (especially overseas and Canada where Amphora blends have always been popular) prefer the smaller packaging for tobacco, which is why you won't see Amphora in a bigger size. It's expensive enough in other countries as it is, and bigger packaging would result in very, very low sales, especially in Canada where a pouch costs about $30. These companies have to think about all their markets, not just ours.

It's expensive enough in other countries as it is, and bigger packaging would result in very, very low sales, especially in Canada where a pouch costs about $30. These companies have to think about all their markets, not just ours.
You hit the nail on the head with this one. A pouch is 40 bucks in BC which is pretty bad. Hilariously Mac Baren tries to sell 100 gram tins up here which go for 80 bucks a tin. I suspect if a 12 ounce tin of tobacco was for sale up here it would go for about the same price as an artisan pipe or maybe a used car. :lol!:

Yes, I agree that Amphora is a bit too expensive for what it is, which is a mass-market aromatic in the European taste. It's an okay blend, not great. I'm curious to see what happens after the initial curiosity is satiated. Is MacBaren trying to test the waters with European style prices in the US market? It looks like it.

Enhanced revenue and cash flow is my guess. The seller can charge more per oz of product for the smaller package and the buyer has to replenish his / her supply more often. This combines for more optically pleasing financial records. There's also buying habits to consider. I'd guess that many pipers like a change now and again -- notice the sheer variety of Tobaks on the e-retailers' menus -- and the availability of smaller packages encourages this, even though the novelty of sampling is not a thrifty buying strategy. Thrift, shmift, many pipers like to try the new offering everyone is buzzing about. If you buy a 1.5 oz package of a touted artisan blend and don't like it, you can toss the rest and have lost only the price of a couple burgers and fries at McDs. I'd opine that tubs of the geezer blends -- say, PA, CH, Granger -- are the exceptions to the above, because they are the preferred smoke of many pipers who may be strongly motivated by thrift, much less so by novelty. Us geezers would be astonished if PA would try to boost its prices and present itself as an artisan blend meriting a premium price. It's a predictable, satisfying smoke, that won't leave bystanders choking or the piper reeling about on a Nic high. A tub of it is an "honest friend" to be enjoyed before an open fire with a book that's not to new. (Obviously, I don't think the phrase "geezer blend" is a pejorative, and often recommend them to new pipers who may find something to like there.)

JimInks":5euepv0c said:
ZeroContent":5euepv0c said:
I would think even if they raised the price for the cost of the tin from say the current 7.50 to 8.50 people would still buy it, and might buy more.  Of course look at the St Bruno example.  The flake is tinned and cost the same for the same weight of the pouched ready-rubbed.
You complained about the price, but are willing to spend more so you can have it in a tin the same size? Help me understand that. These blends aren't going to improve with age if that's what you have in mind.

I explained earlier that pipe smokers on the whole (especially overseas and Canada where Amphora blends have always been popular) prefer the smaller packaging for tobacco, which is why you won't see Amphora in a bigger size. It's expensive enough in other countries as it is, and bigger packaging would result in very, very low sales, especially in Canada where a pouch costs about $30. These companies have to think about all their markets, not just ours.
It's more the packaging at the price point than the product itself. 1.75oz is a stand size tin we see used all the time so I'm not saying offer in larger sizes. Just better packaging at the price point.

Wet Dottle":4r0sd2bf said:
Is MacBaren trying to test the waters with European style prices in the US market? It looks like it.
That's a very valid point. On the other hand, products like the HH series did deserve a higher price because we are talking about very high quality offerings. Now, a progressive increase over time with the price being set at 17 or 18 USD for the 100g; and 10 or 11USD for 50g, would have been reasonable, IMHO.
But, as they decided on 40% plus increase and applying it litterally overnight, I am not buying into 100g at almost 22; and 50g at 12USD.
As for tobaccos like Plumcake or Symphony, at 13.50 USD for 100g, I can't say it's not fair. But what has bugged me and still does is the overnight increase. That was not cool.
I have not bought any MB tobacco since then and will not until and if they review their prices and bring them down.