would you ever "finance" a pipe purchase?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy a pipe unless my Paypal account has enough in to cover the cost. I restore/sell estate pipes to fund future purchases. I recently sold a Radice to fund a GBD purchase. At approximately 40 pipes on my current racks, I'm in the "move one to buy one" camp. That works for my collecting needs.

I would never finance a pipe, because every pipe on your rack should be one you can easily afford to replace. However, I love the idea of layaway to guarantee against someone else snagging a pipe you want that you can't afford at the moment.

Layaway doesn't count as financing, because it's a convenience service, not a "gotta have it right now at xx% interest." :lol: Layaway is very self-managing...if you can't afford to pay it off, or make a payment in whatever time frame...then that's that. Depending on the store, you can take as long as you like (pipes don't take up a lot of space in the back) or if you need to reconsider, might only charge a modest restocking fee to get out from under it. Only a fool would put his/her last dime on a $5K pipe every month.

"Great pipe, not so sure about the Maytag fridge box you're livin' in, but...great pipe!" :lol:

I would if the interest rate was significantly lower than what the money would make staying in my bank account. Lets say its a $1k pipe with 12 month interest free financing. I would do it. My bank earns around 2% so that $1k would earn money while I made minimum payments. Never buy more than you can afford to fully pay off this way though. It's like people who pay too much on taxes to get a return. If you put a few hundred away each month and use that account to pay what you owe, you get to keep the interest instead of Uncle Sam. Just gotta be careful with the balance.

If I had to finance a pipe that would only mean that I couldn't afford it, plain and simple. That said, No.

To date, the only purchases I've ever financed are house mortgages. Anything else, if I can't afford to pay for it I don't buy it.

Financing a pipe? What????

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR

All sorts of crazy ideas go through my head when I want something, but more than not common sense prevails. Still, I buy things that I really shouldn't too often.

I will never finance a pipe purchase.
Pipesmoking is relax and i cannot relax if i think i need to pay interests.

The wonderful thing about smoking mostly nothing but corncobs is that I never have to worry if I can afford another one.

tiltjlp":r3ubkki2 said:
The wonderful thing about smoking mostly nothing but corncobs is that I never have to worry if I can afford another one.
I tried to put a cob on layaway at the Tinder Box as a joke, and the manager thought I was serious. :lol:

I think people spend a lot of money early in the hobby thinking the pipe is the root of their technique issues.

I've put several on layaway to pay for over 3 months using my allotted mad money in that manner but not financed one. I have also given some consideration of turning a rare fly rod over to purchase an equally rare pipe, will it smoke any better than what I already have, probably no way in Hell, but to me rare and unusual defines me and how I collect what I do so it's not out of character to trade something I already own, be it outright or selling off, to obtain something else I want. It's what makes us individuals and defines our inner selves and what we collect, I wouldn't want anyone telling me what I can, or can't, do nor would I pass that on on anyone else, if it doesn't effect your life or your family it's not an issue.

Then Harlock, don't know as this would interest you, but I have for sale a pipe made about 200 BCE by Sumatran elves off the coast of Zanzibar. For you, only $5K; LMK:).

KKKKKK there's 6 of them and while I have no interest feel free to send it off to Harlock, no need to thank me!
11725784845e4e33289d43aa66adb4cca943e71.jpg