would you keep it?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
So I have a pipe that was my Christmas gift back in 2014 from my soon to be x wife and it reminds me of her even though I did all the foot work in getting it made. I am contemplating getting rid of it. If you had a pile that reminded you of someone and a crap load of bad memories, would you keep it? It is my Northern Briars group 5 premiere bent bulldog. The one with Cumberland stem.

I would not get rid of it personally, she, as you say, didn't have anything to do with it much anyway.
It's a fine pipe and shouldn't be sacrificed for a falling out of two people.

On the other hand if you still wish to get rid of it, I'll surely buy it from you.........at a discounted price of course, seeing I'll have to exorcise the demons of your ex-wife out of it.

Lol. Well I have to force myself to smoke it. I never reach for it and it really makes me think of her as it was my first custom pipe since getting g back I to Smokingpipes g, and it was her gift to me.

'heel, while I fully understand all about getting rid of things that produce negative feelings where an ex is concerned, that pipe is quite the nice piece and one that anyone would love to have in their collection. I'd give that one some careful though before you decide.

I'm not advocating for or against here as I've pretty much purged myself of items that remind me of my exes. However there are one or two things that I keep for reasons of practicality. 

Do what you gotta do bro. Only you can decide.

:|

Cheers,

RR

That's a damn difficult choice you have to make, Tar, but it's yours to make. My 2 cents, and only because you asked for input, is that if it will cause more pain to keep it than move it out, then move it out and take comfort in the other fine pipes you've got.

I am seriously considering getting rid of it. If will just always be tat pipe and really deserves more respect and love than I can give it.

tarheel7734":rnfftumq said:
I am seriously considering getting rid of it. If will just always be tat pipe and really deserves more respect and love than I can give it.
My now EX gave me a couple of Meers about 20 years ago now at different times and ya know what?
They still smoke just fine. I don't think of who gave them to me, I think of the tobacco and how damn good it tastes when I'm smoking them. Give it time, Ex's can be forgotten quickly if you don't dwell too much on them. Besides, that's what they want ya to do, so you'll be miserable, that's what makes them happy ya know. Ya want to piss'em off, be happier then ever and enjoy your pipes.

Throw it in the closet and take it out in a few years. It'll be like new again.

Hmmm.....

Stuff can be such a pain in the rear when it draws forth memories you'd rather not have. I have had my share of that position in the past. It has been said that time heals, and after a portion of time, when I revisit a place or experience that reminds me of 'her', I tend to look at the past more forgivingly, and find the emotions have seasoned a bit.......

So, since you asked.......

You might want to consider putting that away in a seasonal box of stuff you don't get into much. Let those feelings ferment or heal or wash off or whatever for a while.. If you run across it in a few years and feel the same, then I would ditch it and get yourself something pretty. Maybe something impulsive?

i have a Dunhill Canadian my ex gave me. it doesnt see much action. Pipes really only have any meaning to me because of the memories associated with them. Whenever Ismoke them, they each bring back some experience or person to mind.

We should trade to get rid of the bad memories, yet still keep 'em in the family.

tarheel7734":ig3v5o5l said:
I just don't think I can get over it. I am really leaning towards selling or trading.]]
Sounds like you've made up your mind so chuck it !! :twisted: :twisted:

Keep the pipe, smoke the devil out of it! No point in living in the past.

Ron and Ozzie make great points. Take some time and consider this. Equally, if it brings back too many bad memories that will spoil the experience then.......

'heel you gotta do what you gotta do. And if you post it here F/S I'm sure it will go in a heartbeat. 

Best wishes to whatever you decide.

Cheers,

RR

The fact that you even asked the question suggests the answer to your query. Speaking for myself only, I would burn the pipe in a fire.

monbla256":p9zqnz62 said:
tarheel7734":p9zqnz62 said:
I just don't think I can get over it. I am really leaning towards selling or trading.]]
Sounds like you've made up your mind so chuck it !! :twisted: :twisted:

I agree with monbla256, you seem to be wanting rid off it so do so, that pipe deserves to go to someone who's going to love it, after all it's a Northern Briars pipe, and not a piece of Tat!

Sounds like you're already made your choice. Send it down the road and use the money on something you'll enjoy. Life's too short...

It's a real beauty for sure but if it will continually cause you grief and pain then it's just not worth it. I do think that putting it away for a few years would be wise though. You know all too well the regret you feel over the loss of your first set of pipes. A few years perspective may soften your feelings and perhaps even provide some small comfort. Decisions made in haste are often regretted later.

Hope you remain happy with your choice
Jim

I have been thinking about this since April. In this case I think getting rid of the pipe is a good move. I could always have Ian Walker make me a different pipe.

I hope you find a good home for her then. She's definitely one that deserves to be cherished.

Jim