Wow. Regina Scarlatta

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
Rhapsodizing on a theme suggested by some Beckers, a marque I have admired for some time, though I own exactly none.  I was going to title this post "Outdoing Becker." What better way to spend $500+? Food, clothing, mortgage, or other tomfoolery? I don't know, maybe Becker does it better--more understated or something. Still...  

Blackhorse":5em6ijh2 said:
Looks like the check mark you’d make next to the “bucket list pipe #1” thing...if you got it.  ;)
That's it! The check mark look. That's what I was alluding to. In case anyone wonders, no, I didn't buy it. I'll never pay $500 for a pipe that doesn't have a concave button. One of Jesse Jone's billiards ruined me for anything else. But the pipe is available at Iwan Ries, for those interested. Or at least was.

I've owned a few Beckers. I really miss those days of heavy trading. I digress. None of the Beckers were bad smokers, but none stood out either. I did like that rustication though. I don't know how much influence this had back then, but I've come to realize I don't care for that sense of dainty shanks and stems. Seems like an aesthetic you either love or hate, no?

That pipe reminds me of one you'd see in one of those stylized 50's era cartoons...you know: smoking jacket, ascot, martini glass, mid-century modern furniture, et al. Probably would have had more appeal to me at one time; not really my cuppa these days, but a beautiful pipe nonetheless.

Idlefellow":hk0s7w4c said:
That pipe reminds me of one you'd see in one of those stylized 50's era cartoons...you know: smoking jacket, ascot, martini glass, mid-century modern furniture, et al.  Probably would have had more appeal to me at one time; not really my cuppa these days, but a beautiful pipe nonetheless.  
Dammit Idlefellow--if that's really your name--you just ruined it for me. Seriously. :fpalm:

Richard Burley":jbvyq6pu said:
Idlefellow":jbvyq6pu said:
That pipe reminds me of one you'd see in one of those stylized 50's era cartoons...you know: smoking jacket, ascot, martini glass, mid-century modern furniture, et al.  Probably would have had more appeal to me at one time; not really my cuppa these days, but a beautiful pipe nonetheless.  
Dammit Idlefellow--if that's really your name--you just ruined it for me. Seriously. :fpalm:
Oops; sorry! :(

Idlefellow":umisck9v said:
Richard Burley":umisck9v said:
Idlefellow":umisck9v said:
Oops; sorry! :(
;)

SP had some Lacroix pipes — “never smoked” — in its French estate pipe section. In it were some extreme rusticated lumbermans. I mean extreme, looked like chunk was torn off the tree and perfectly drilled. I bought one. $45. I liked it so well I ended up buying two more. Same pipe differentiated by the pattern of the rusticated carving. It may seem a bit, ah, impulsive, but I like ‘em. Eye appeal + smokability + workmanship = a place on my rack. No need to ‘splain what appeals to you. As Dubya said long ago, “You earned it. You should spend it.”