Xikar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
In the past I had a Dunhill Unique and a corona old boy. They were great lighters. Here in is 5 years later and I am needing a lighter. There are a lot of different brands that are like the ones I had in the past. Xikar are half the price or more than the old boys I can find. Anyone have any experience with these? What about the Peterson's? I would like an old boy but can't find the one I want for a reasonable price (80-100.00) I like the silver stripe and the herringbone. What say you?

From my experience you get what you pay for but the Xikar lighters are junk but have a good lifetime warranty that I have used several times. The IMCO's and Pearl ol boy style lift arm lighters are are better than the used to be but they are still a cheap knock off of the Unique. :shock:

Did you loose your old boy or has it just stopped working properly?  You can get your old boy repaired from Music city marketing http://www.musiccitymarketing.com/ for $9.00.  That's a lot less than you can get a xicar for.   MIKE

It was sold with all my pipes and tobacco almost 5 years ago. Getting back into pipes, so I need new gear.

tarheel7734":seysj2ln said:
It was sold with all my pipes and tobacco almost 5 years ago. Getting back into pipes, so I need new gear.
Save your $s, use wooden matches :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

tarheel7734":fjmr6tg6 said:
If you are patient you can pick up a nimrod commander in great condition off the bay for 9-15 dollars. MIKE

SPUD 15":2gwd73ct said:
Did you loose your old boy or has it just stopped working properly?  You can get your old boy repaired from Music city marketing http://www.musiccitymarketing.com/ for $9.00.  That's a lot less than you can get a xicar for.   MIKE
this it was exactly 30 days from when they received my lighter until it arrived back at my place. works just like new.

I have a Xikar pipe lighter. Not impressed at all. The only redeeming feature is it's lifetime warranty. Which I've used about 5 times now!

Thanks. Going to pass on the xikar lighter. Talked to my local shop today and got mixed results. Basically told it is an ok lighter but no where near the quality of a Dunhill or a DuPont. He sells Xikar, colibri, and Zippo. So I am trying to decide whether I should buy an old boy or layaway a Dunhill for 2 months. If I was not buying a Ferndown in a week I would just buy the Dunhill, but I need to buy a pipe and whatever else I need to get started again. Probably need a pouch to carry everything in when I go to the b&m and hang out or where ever else I go to smoke. I have surly learnt a lesson. I will never get rid of my fountain pens, pipes, or anything else I love again.

Don't waste your money on some fancy shmancy lighter that if you lose or drop it
will only bring you grief. I use a Bic, it's quick, efficient, CHEAP and above all if I lose it
no big deal.
I don't need to impress anybody with a lighter that cost as much or more then my pipe.
And truthfully it won't impress anyone except your pocket book. ;)

Cartaphilus":3n31s9bz said:
I use a Bic, it's quick, efficient, CHEAP and above all if I lose it
no big deal.
Agreed. I use a Bic and Diamond Kitchen Matches. I have a Zippo, but its thirst for fuel is relentless.

Cartaphilus":a3y09j2s said:
Don't waste your money on some fancy shmancy lighter that if you lose or drop it
will only bring you grief. I use a Bic, it's quick, efficient, CHEAP and above all if I lose it
no big deal.
I don't need to impress anybody with a lighter that cost as much or more then my pipe.
It has nothing to do with trying to impress anyone. I get great pleasure from using a quality lighter to light my pipes with. The feel of the lighter just brings a smile to my face.

tarheel7734":z4yb0z0t said:
Cartaphilus":z4yb0z0t said:
no big deal.
It has nothing to do with trying to impress anyone. I get great pleasure from using a quality lighter to light my pipes with. The feel of the lighter just brings a smile to my face.
To each his own. I personally LOVE the crack of a match and the click and flick of a zippo, in addition to the hefty feel. Do what makes you happy.

here we go again.. a guy ask about xikar and corona lighters and the bic and match guys want to know who he's going to impress. I have bic's stashed in every car and use them a lot. I have a zippo that is continually empty and a pita. matches unless you are inside are worthless particularly while driving. I have an Old Boy that I use continually. most pipers I know don't smoke in a crowd so I'm not sure why folks think just because you want a decent lighter or pipe you are trying to impress someone.

Lately I have been using a Xikar Scribe. I got it mostly for the novelty aspect, plus I think it looks great. Mine is done in briar and satin steel. I love the thing! It lights on the first try every time, and because of its shape it's very easy to put the flame inside the bowl without charring the rim. The only thing more comfortable is a match, unless I'm relighting at the end of a deep bowl, where the match is difficult to use but the Scribe just shines. The only drawback is it has very limited fuel capacity. As far as quality, I have no complaints, but it's still relatively new so I can't really tell yet.

I have decided on an old boy lighter again. I might pick up a Dunhill after I get more pipes.

tarheel7734":ovllkk9c said:
Cartaphilus":ovllkk9c said:
no big deal.
I'm with you on the "... impress anyone" as  I have two Dunhill lighters , one a fuel Rollalite in Sterling that I got back in '69 and the other a Sterling Unique given to me by my daughter on my 60th b'day. I carried the Rollalite all through 'Nam and  for 30 + years after. It was and still is a GOOD lighter !

My Unique (or as some call it , an "old boy" ) is my only gas lighter and it has the pipe lighter mod done to it by Dunhill is my "good. go to meetin' " lighter when I go out without matches. If you have the do re me and want it get EXACTLY what YOU WANT !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: