You folks realize dunhill no longer is in tobacc

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
I hope you folks realize after we all rag about dunhill this and that, that the dunhill name is a trademark name owned by STG/Orlik and they don't even make pipes under that name anymore!! My attorney friend just got back from London and told me that when you go to the dunhill store on Jermyn St. you won't find a single pipe, an ounce of tobacco, a single cigar nor any cigarettes for sale! He said that right next door is the White Spot retail outlet for any and ALL tobacco products !! Even the pipes no longer carry the name dunhill on them rather they are labeled White Spot and he said they weren't even doing custom blending as they don't own the name dunhill for pipe tobaccos! Sounds like the end of an era with the Irish and Italians the only ones left from the "good ol' days" :twisted:

Here's dunhill's website with nary a crumb of tobacco to be found !!

http://www.dunhill.com/en_usa//autumn-winter-15-show/

I discovered the same thing when I went to a Dunhill store in Shanghai a few years back. Not one thing even pipe or tobacco related. Just clothes, luggage, and fashion accessories. Disappointed I was.

I own exactly zero Dunhill pipes and am contentedly resigned to the fact that I missed the premier era. If I had Dunhill type pipe money I'd buy an Italian pipe or an artisan.
I smoke a couple current Dunhill tobaccos but never had them before the big return a few years ago. So I smoke them because I like them occasionally. Not because of any nostalgia of the old blends made in England. Never had them.
This is my complete Dunhill experience.

LOL, We've been through this all before. There is nothing new.
http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t29402-stg-brands-list
In fact STG manufactures the tobacco for the brand owner British American Tobacco (BAT)
and has done so since Murray of Belfast closed in 2005.
The White Spot trademark goes back to the very early days of Dunhill and the pipes are stamped Alfred The White Spot Dunhill. Dunhill has changed it's nomenclature several times over the years. The "Tails" logo in the ellipse wasn't around all that long.
A lot of people have their notions about Dunhill but we have a lot of solid printed history to refer to and that is readily available (I own and have read many of these these resources). To sum it up, Dunhill from day one has always been a company that sold a wide variety of high quality men's requisites (and women's cosmetics for a short time) including pipes to the 1%. Dunhill changed with the times and they survived. :shock:

The dunhill blends I smoke are fantastic so far as I'm concerned. I think STG is doing a good job making them. I can't speak of older versions. I have an older tin of London mixture I'm saving for a special occasion. So I will find out someday. I can't afford a white spot, but the birth year dunhill I own is a impeccably well made pipe, and smokes like a dream. And from the website, it appears they now make clothes I can't afford.

Wow! I'm shocked, I shall find the nearest bridge now.. Life is so bleak and dreary now. :fpalm:

Most unfortunately I've realized/known this for some time. Tis' sad about their pipes; I don't have one made after 1968/9. Fortunately, the DH pipe tobacco seems to be doing well. I ain't sayin' it's as it was in the old days, but then again, what is??? I do fondly remember stacking DH "cutter top" tins back in the '60's :D :D :cheers: FTRPLT

No experience of the old Dunny blended 'baccy here. Came into the pipe in like '96/'97 and did have a preference for London Mixture then. Think that was the Murray era blended stuff? If so I liked it. Also had EMP from that era, but I was into Lat blends back then.

Today I have a fondness for Dunhill Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls. Yes, bit more 'spensive than whatever you want to compare them to but it's not like it's life altering!

And I do have a tin of the Murray's era LM awaiting me whenever I get in the mood  to revisit this. So I have that going for me!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Dunhill Cigarettes are probably the most popular brand here in South Korea. Go to any convenience store and you are bombarded with Dunhill ads and there must be about 15 different kinds of Dunhill smokes available. Most of them have Union Jacks all over them because they really try to sell the British image. Although they don't sell tobacco and related items in their boutiques, I think Dunhill must be making a lot of profit off the sale of cigarettes. At least in Asia. Although they don't produce the cigs themselves, they must be making some profit off the royalty.

monbla256":u2wm39d0 said:
... that the dunhill name is a trademark name owned by STG/Orlik
Pas vrai, mon ami. BAT (British American Tobacco) owns the Dunhill pipe tobacco TM and line. They just have STG make it under contract for them. So it is BAT responding to the market by restoring Elix Mix, Durbar, & Aperitif to market. In 2007 BAT sold most of their other pipe tobacco trademarks to Orlik/STG (now just STG with Orlik known by the colourful vivid name STG Assens or STG #9 for those of us in the know).  ;)

Here is a ref....

BAT Insider .... secret!

Check pg 14 in the doc. pg 16 from your pdf reader pov...

BAT":u2wm39d0 said:
On 20 February 2007, the Group announced that it had agreed to the sale of its pipe tobacco trademarks to the Danish company, Orlik Tobacco Company A/S, for EURO 24 million. The sale was completed during the second quarter and resulted in a gain of £11 million. However, the Group retained the Dunhill and Captain Black pipe tobacco brands.
You can also still find STG reports on this transaction & Dunhill is not mentioned as one of theirs. But STG is a distributor in Denmark and they of course distribute Dunhill tobaccos.

But you can still rave on at Dunhill if you want.

I dropped by the Dunhill shop this past Christmas. It was a quick in and out (about 5-10 minutes) because the store was nothing compared to the others nearby. Nevertheless, they did sell the typical Dunhill tobaccos; however, the pipes that were in the shop were Rattray pipes. No White Spot or Dunhill sightings.

joshoowah":drfo5x85 said:
I dropped by the Dunhill shop this past Christmas. It was a quick in and out (about 5-10 minutes) because the store was nothing compared to the others nearby. Nevertheless, they did sell the typical Dunhill tobaccos; however, the pipes that were in the shop were Rattray pipes. No White Spot or Dunhill sightings.
A Dunhill Tobacco shop in London? That's BAT UK. BAT owns the brand 'Dunhill Tobacco of London'. So if it says Dunhill Tobacco you're staring into the retail maw of the beast... Has nothing to do with Alfred Dunhill Ltd.

1ASJ-Exterior-Shot-660x549-620x400.jpg

http://upscalelivingmag.com/dunhill-cigar-1a-st-jamess-street/

Many countries, the UK among them, have passed laws that non-tobacco products cannot carry tobacco brand names. As you can imagine this was a challenge & touch and go for Alfred Dunhill Ltd with the Dunhill luxury product brand. They had already separated the logos & product brand identities from the tobacco line that BAT owns. They haven't been in tobacco since the late 70's and they were owned by Carreras at the time. They can't go back to tobaccos without threatening the brand again. Not going to happen.

Rusty":6cm4gzuy said:
Many countries, the UK among them, have passed laws that non-tobacco products cannot carry tobacco brand names. As you can imagine this was a challenge & touch and go for Alfred Dunhill Ltd with the Dunhill luxury product brand. They had already separated the logos & product brand identities from the tobacco line that BAT owns. They haven't been in tobacco since the late 70's and they were owned by Carreras at the time. They can't go back to tobaccos without threatening the brand again. Not going to happen.
Bingo!  The coercive utopians in action, destroying every damn thing they touch. Anyone anywhere need further elucidation?  :lol:

Rusty":7icb75xa said:
joshoowah":7icb75xa said:
A Dunhill Tobacco shop in London? That's BAT UK. BAT owns the brand 'Dunhill Tobacco of London'. So if it says Dunhill Tobacco you're staring into the retail maw of the beast... Has nothing to do with Alfred Dunhill Ltd.

1ASJ-Exterior-Shot-660x549-620x400.jpg

http://upscalelivingmag.com/dunhill-cigar-1a-st-jamess-street/

That wasn't the shop.

puros_bran":msx3nlml said:
Wow! I'm shocked, I shall find the nearest bridge now.. Life is so bleak and dreary now. :fpalm:
Ha, that just gave me the best feeling I have in many many days, I actually gave a little chuckle just then, I do so adore your sense of humour.

Jevverrett":utdlyzw1 said:
The dunhill blends I smoke are fantastic so far as I'm concerned. I think STG is doing a good job making them.
I agree. What makes them great is the blends, but without a competent manufacturer, they would be terrible. I am glad they are still available since many of my favorites (Nightcap, Royal Yacht, MM965, Elizabethan) are counted among them.