Your favorite classic funny paper strip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 3 contenders, in no particular order-

Peanuts.

Charles Schulz was a genius. His strips seemed to be filled with irony, while ostensibly focusing on the day to day exploits of children and animals. There always was a message, provided one cared to look in between the lines.

That his work has continued to be run in the daily rags long after his demise speaks volumes about his insight into the human condition.

POGO

Used to love this as a kid, although it was often dark and impenetrable. Liked the characterizations, some of the rest was lost on me at the time though.

Lil' Abner

Followed this regularly. Al Capps' characterizations were engaging and straightforward and always entertaining. Yet later it became clear he also had a political slant that permeated some of the strips. (Joanie Phony).

Capp often was controversial with his political views. He debated college age students with great vigour, dismissing their views with some disdain! I clearly remember listening to him on the radio during one of these speaking engagements. He was a lightning rod, and not afraid to be outspoken!

Also saw him on the old Johnny Carson show. He always had a cigar in hand, and gesticulated wildly as he pontificated! And he was eventually involved in a scandal which effectively took him out of the public eye.

Honorable mention to-

Our Boarding House with Major Hoople.

And yours?

Cheers,

RR

definitely Bloom County ! Opus, Steve Dallas, Bill the Cat, just to name a few. Possibly the most politically conscious cartoon to ever be made, and funny as it gets.

index-1.gif

I'm glad to see "Our Boarding House" mentioned. That was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Major Hoople (Egad!) was always flustered over something.

Another one I really liked was "Out Our Way."

I also enjoyed "Big George" a lot. It was a single panel comic. I think I liked the artwork of Virgil Partch more than anything.

You know, it's funny...I don't really read the comics much anymore. I still will check out Beetle Bailey and Blondie from time to time.

Mike

Natch":1zt6rkhy said:
For teachers, it's hard to beat Calvin & Hobbes.

Alas, a number of colleagues write just like that. . . . (and worse, many think like they write)

Great responses so far.

Yes, I am a great fan of Calvin and Hobbes as well as Bloom County. Plus many other more contemporary strips.

While they are all classics in their own right, I intended the category to be older strips from primarily the 60's in case that wasn't apparent. So that dates me. Be that as it may.

Some of the more popular strips from that period, say Dick Tracy and Lil' Orphan Annie never grabbed me for some reason. They obviously had their following, just never resonated with me. Go figure!

In any case, please do carry on with your favorite classic strip regardless of the period.

Cheers,

RR

Maybe not a strip,,,maybe not a classic,,,but my favorite was "The Far Side" ,,,,,especially the cows and snakes

mark":c1q9ndg7 said:
Maybe not a strip,,,maybe not a classic,,,but my favorite was "The Far Side" ,,,,,especially the cows and snakes

Yes very funny.

sand18f":mny3ddp1 said:
Moonbeam McSwine of Lil'Abner fame.

Shouldn't she be in the Favorite Pipe Smoking Celebs thread? She is smoking...........(double entendre font on).

Hermit":qaa98ilp said:
mark":qaa98ilp said:
I loved "The Far Side." :lol:
far%2Bside.jpg
Arg! How could I forget Gary Larson? :cheers: :cheers:

Let's not forget Mammy Yokum also smoked a cob -

mamrun.jpg

I once had a boyhood crush on Daisy Mae -

daisysit.gif

Some folks say I remind them of Joe Btfsplk -

lil_abner_article(1).jpg

Cheers,

RR

Josjor":247sp4kf said:
sand18f":247sp4kf said:
Moonbeam McSwine of Lil'Abner fame.

Shouldn't she be in the Favorite Pipe Smoking Celebs thread? She is smoking...........(double entendre font on).

I'm definatly a fan of

1a. Calvin and Hobbs
1b. The Far Side
Fox Trot

Honorable mention to Pickles, Wizard of Id, Dick Tracy and Rose is Rose