Your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Manufacturer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
Please select from the above list, which seems to cover about 90% of the pipe tobaccos discussed around these parts.

If you are unsure as to who actually produces your favorite blends, please post a query and if I do not answer someone is sure to do so.

There is also a category for 'Other', but please do post the name of your favorite producer if that option is selected.

Cornell & Diehl has the largest range of tobaccos I have tried and enjoyed. My favorite blend is a private one not associated with any of the big'uns. But C&D so far has been the one I like overall.

On average, it's C&D, though that's very skewed by their role as GLP's manufacturer.

Although I have branched out a lot, McClelland was the first tobaccos I explored in great depth when I came back to pipe smoking a few years ago. And of course, they are from Kansas City!

I guess I gotta go with GLP & C&D, since they seem to have the highest number of blends that have really floated my boat. To be sure, each of the manufacturers in the poll probably has at least one blend that I have thoroughly enjoyed at least a sampling of. Some of my absolute favorites so far have not been C&D or GLP, but C&D probably has the greatest number of blends that I liked alot. If you add Pease's stuff to those then it probably isn't even close.

Doc Manhattan":n7arth6y said:
On average, it's C&D, though that's very skewed by their role as GLP's manufacturer.
Here, here!!!
I guess we can say C&D / GLP count as one?
Then my answer would be McClelland / C&D-GLP / Dan / SG in that order.........

My "other" vote is for GLP. I can't believe how long I snubbed his blends. It taught me a good lesson--try everything you can.

Samuel Gawith - Englishes
McClelland - Virginias

I'm more of a Virginia smoker now, but that is partly due to the fact that I can't find an English that truly grabs me like some of the older ones did. I was very, very impressed with Squadron Leader and Commonwealth Mixture.

EDIT: coming back to my post because it might not read clearly. Nightcap, No.759, Crown Achievement, etc were what I was referencing with "older ones". In the last ten years, the Gawiths are the only ones to have stood out. I have indeed tried Pease and didn't find a connexion with them.

I find it interesting that at this point only 15 votes have been cast, but 117 have viewed this topic,,, :scratch:

Great poll by the way,,,,guess I don't have a favorite yet,,,

Views are counted every time someone has actually clicked on the topic, whether it's the first time or the 1000th, I think.

I don't have a favorite either, but I'm going to be using this to help me decide what to try next.

I simply chose the maker I have the most of in the cellar - SG.

In the spirit of the question, I chose C&D, mainly because they make fine blends plus GLP's, Low Country, Hermit, etc. I rank McClelland, G&H, SG, Dan, etc. right there with C&D. "There can be only one" refers to Immortals, not pipe tobacco makers!!!!! FTRPLT

I really like Solani but just two blends. Aged Burley flake and Blend 127. There are several from McClelland that I enjoy so much I can't name them all. I have to vote for McClelland.