Your favorite rice?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51IZYx8Dh8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Harlock999":9f5cfub5 said:
Harlock Special fried rice.
Mmmmm.... Looks good, Chris! Now I'm going to make Spam & egg fried rice for brunch!

Usually my special fried rice is just fried rice with whatever else I have in he fridge!

My preference for rice is Jasmin :)

Rob_In_MO":i2nz6pxa said:
Harlock999":i2nz6pxa said:

Looks good!

Using Chopsticks to eat rice with? Admirable! 8)
Yeah right!
The chopsticks were only used for artistic effect.
I scarfed the rice down with a spoon. A big one...

Harlock999":vtkmkcxi said:
Rob_In_MO":vtkmkcxi said:
Harlock999":vtkmkcxi said:

Looks good!

Using Chopsticks to eat rice with? Admirable! 8)
Yeah right!
The chopsticks were only used for artistic effect.
I scarfed the rice down with a spoon. A big one...
Really? A spoon? Oy. :evil: Chopsticks (箸 - Hashi) is the only civilized way to eat. Especially rice. 8)

It used to be every where, but they moved from people to computers for sales, and after that lost money and now I am not sure if their rice is widely available.

Harlock999":lwgh65z2 said:
I'll bet that's a squirt of Sriracha (or a similar pepper sauce) on top?

A good friend and roommate in graduate school went on to do his PhD dissertation on finding/classifying rice varieties in Indonesia (I think just the island of Java). He found somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000+ varieties on just that one Island. Granted, it's the most populated island in the world, and there are many, many villages that grow a strain of rice that no one else in the world grows, but it indicates the variety of the world's most productive grain. I've seen estimates of number of different varieties from a low of perhaps around 4,000 to well over 100,000!

My favorite is the "white, fluffy stuff that comes in the Uncle Ben's Converted Rice box, it tastes like styrafoam packing peanuts and about 90% of the "nutritional value" is in the cardboard of the box!

I just returned from six weeks on Java, Borneo, and the Malay Peninsula. We took the train from Yogyakarta to Surabaya, and it was just about non-stop rice fields as far as the eye could see (which considering the air quality of that region, wasn't that good). Also saw four active (smoking) volcanoes on the trip. Amazing food, rice, it feeds more of the world than any other grain.

Natch