Your favorite rice?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Basmati is my #1 fave. Sure like that popcorn aroma and flavor.

Texmati is also in the same league.

Jasmine is also very nice. Quite aromatic. Subtle.

Always liked brown rice for flavor and texture.

And you?

Cheers,

RR

Risotto done right.

A nice ball of sticky rice with a thin slice of good clean raw tuna belly on it.

It's the preparation as much as the product.

I don't know rice. Just the Americanized stuff. However, my last trip to the Atlanta area we headed first to Mega Mart. It's a huge Korean style grocery store. There was a lady there cooking samples of rice that was fantastic. She just wrapped it in a little sea weed to eat it. They have skids of rice. Probably 200 billion kinds. Really amazing the texture and flavor when just simmered a bit with almost no seasoning. I would have no clue what all the different kinds are like. But it was good.

Im eat mostly brown rice, Uncle Bens long grain and wild rice is good too.

Bieng diabetic I have to be carefull with rice, but I love it ! I can't eat white rice as it pushes my blood sugar up real fast and real high, but I can have small amts of brown rice which is what I have these days, but not near as much as I'd like :p

Brown rice is always preferred in my house.

Although, I do enjoy white rice with black beans, roasted corn, and a whole lot of cumin and red pepper flake. Otherwise, brown.

Eat a lot of rice. A lot. Though I do enjoy the occasional bowl of Jasmine or Basmatti my staple is bulk Japanese short grain rice.

Very good. I make about 4cups of cooked rice every three days.

White rice - real Indian Basmati or Thai Jasmine

Brown - Trader Joe's Brown Basmati. Great texture and always cooks nicely.

I like to mix a cup of uncooked brown with a half cup of wild or specialty rices like Black or Mahogany Japonica or Emperor's Forbidden Rice and make an oven pilaf. This makes for excellent eats.

Since we're on the topic, does anyone have a great recipe for rice pudding?

My late Mom made a great rice pudding. Alas, it died with her. She kept her recipes in her head and I never learned how she made it.

Gotta believe it was pretty straightforward. Rice, vanilla extract and such. That's about all I remember. But it was goooood.........

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Saffron! That stuff's expensive! I'll bet you don't have that dish often !! Sounds REAL GOOD :p

Rob_In_MO":3x3dcjp7 said:
Actually my favorite rice dish is Saffron Rice using Basmati.

That Saffron takes an excellent Rice and puts it over the top. A must try!
Saffron rice is da bomb!

Used to make this when I was into cooking Indian cuisine.

But you gotta use Indian Basmati as a base!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":feami68y said:
Rob_In_MO":feami68y said:
Actually my favorite rice dish is Saffron Rice using Basmati.

That Saffron takes an excellent Rice and puts it over the top. A must try!
Saffron rice is da bomb!

Used to make this when I was into cooking Indian cuisine.

But you gotta use Indian Basmati as a base!

Cheers,

RR
I enjoy a good saffron rice paired with a wonderful koresht (Moroccan stew). Fantastic.

monbla256":d8r5pwrc said:
Saffron! That stuff's expensive! I'll bet you don't have that dish often !! Sounds REAL GOOD :p
Darn right it's expensive, so no - can't do that one very often.
Luckily it doesn't take a lot of saffron to make the dish.

Brewdude":d8r5pwrc said:
Saffron rice is da bomb!
Absolutely. It's a real taste treat, and the absolute best rice dish i've ever had.

See - all these years of smoking aromatics hasn't fried my brain completely. :mrgreen: