Your VaPer and Perique blend Recommendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
It dawned on me last month that I tend to gravitate toward VaPers and Perique heavy blends.  What to ask you fine folks what your favorites and "must tries" are.

I love Haddo's Delight and am falling for Chenet's Cake.

What other good ones are out there when you get the Perique itch?

Edit: Forgot to add that I do not like Latakia. So if it has some in it then, for me it is disqualified. :D

McC St. James Woods, Escudo, Dunhill deluxe navy roll, SG cabbies mixture and St James woods are my go to va per blends.

Easy! Samuel Gawith's St James Flake. Sublime! V curious about McC's Va flake and Per though...

2015, St. James Woods, St. James Flake, Hearth and Home Louisiana Red, GH Louisiana Flake, Escudo,all good for sure!

I do enjoy Pebble Castle for a bit of Oriental influence to the blend though... But that's just my bias....

Ozark Wizard":uboh0wgd said:
2015, St. James Woods, St. James Flake, Hearth and Home Louisiana Red, GH Louisiana Flake, Escudo,all good for sure!

I do enjoy Pebble Castle for a bit of Oriental influence to the blend though... But that's just my bias....
And lovely it is too brother. Just had some today aamof!

:D

Cheers,

RR

McClelland 2015
C&D Night Train
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Zeno Marx":3l0e9vo5 said:
McClelland 2015
C&D Night Train
I smoke NT regularly and would never consider this a VaPer! Although it has p-weed it's very much a burley forward blend to me. And a fine one at that.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":njv3tb9f said:
Zeno Marx":njv3tb9f said:
McClelland 2015
C&D Night Train
I smoke NT regularly and would never consider this a VaPer! Although it has p-weed it's very much a burley forward blend to me. And a fine one at that.

Cheers,

RR
It is neat how subjective this hobby can be. For example, I can barely take any Latakia in my tobacco anymore, but love perique. I read an old post by the great Kyle Weis where he describes the horrible reaction he has to Perique. It sounds like how I react now to Latakia!

As always YMMV. One of the cool things that makes this fun :cheers:

Seconding most everything mentioned (at least what I've tried!), especially SG's St. James Flake. Even better than that, if you can find it, is St. James Plug. I scored a brick of that in a Synjeco group buy and man oh man is it good. At the same time I picked up Holker Twist and Greenodd Rope, a pair of delicious and fun-to-prepare VaPers made for Synjeco by Gawith and Hoggarth, IIRC. Maybe remaining pressed in those forms assists with the fermentation process or maybe it's just because I love plugs and ropes in general, but those would definitely be my top three VaPers--sweet, spicy, and rich but without being overwhelming.

On the milder end I think Peter Heinrich's Curly is pretty good, maybe a step up from Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture and in a cut I prefer, but some people seem to really dig it.

And while I wouldn't call it a VaPer, Mac Baren's Acadian Perique is a groovy blend with a lot going on.

Lots of good recommendations here. I'm going to throw a couple new ones into the fold, GLP Fillmore and Telegraph Hill... I love how rich Fillmore is and it ages like a champ! And I'm going to second Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls - very rich and spicy. And of course St. James Woods and St. James Flake are excellent... and last one of my favorites, Beacon Extra - so good!

Hampsters, some previous conversations make it seem like we probably have some similar tastes in VaPers. Based on that, I second Old Nate's suggestions of Fillmore and Telegraph Hill (Fillmore has a tiny bit of latakia, but it doesn't taste "latakia-y", if that makes sense), and the St. James options.

I still like to smoke something different from time to time, but I'm primarily a VaPer guy and my go-tos are:

1. Telegraph Hill
2. St. James
3. Haddo's
4. H&H Louisiana Red
5. More Telegraph Hill

My go-to is GH Louisiana Flake, but it might not be Perique-forward enough for this list, and it does have a very mild topping. I also like Synjeco's 'Bad Nun II'

idbowman":h9pwiih4 said:
Hampsters, some previous conversations make it seem like we probably have some similar tastes in VaPers.  Based on that, I second Old Nate's suggestions of Fillmore and Telegraph Hill (Fillmore has a tiny bit of latakia, but it doesn't taste "latakia-y", if that makes sense), and the St. James options.

I still like to smoke something different from time to time, but I'm primarily a VaPer guy and my go-tos are:

1.  Telegraph Hill
2.  St. James
3.  Haddo's
4.  H&H Louisiana Red
5.  More Telegraph Hill
Yeah I didn't want to scare him away from Fillmore w talk of Latakia. Smoking a bowl of it right now. I just love it!

Old Nate":apgvckiz said:
idbowman":apgvckiz said:
Hampsters, some previous conversations make it seem like we probably have some similar tastes in VaPers.  Based on that, I second Old Nate's suggestions of Fillmore and Telegraph Hill (Fillmore has a tiny bit of latakia, but it doesn't taste "latakia-y", if that makes sense), and the St. James options.

1.  Telegraph Hill
2.  St. James
3.  Haddo's
4.  H&H Louisiana Red
5.  More Telegraph Hill
Yeah I didn't want to scare him away from Fillmore w talk of Latakia. Smoking a bowl of it right now. I just love it!
You know me well :D The good thing is, I think that is a pre '07 blend so I dont have to rush in to it.

Right on... plenty of time to explore Fillmore... at least at the present.

Old Nate":c7f7s6kg said:
Right on... plenty of time to explore Fillmore... at least at the present.
I have a tin of Fillmore open at present and I can't smell or taste any latakia? 'You sure about the latakia?