Zippo pipe lighter...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current pipe lighter plain sucks, flame too high, flame too low, stuttering, refusing too ignite etc..
I have been using Zippo like forever, the 1941 replica being my favorite, so I thought I give these a try.

Just in the mail..:
316ctVmIwkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
&
31H2Sz5lw9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yeah, those are pretty decent. Let us know how you like it after a few tries.

I've been using my Imco Triplex and liking it. The only thing it has over the pipe Zippo is you can pull out the whole wick/tank housing after lighting and it's a helluvalot easier to light my pipes this way. So now I've been carrying my pipe Zippo and the Imco in case I get stuck about town with a dry Imco.

I picked up a Zippo pipe lighter earlier this week.

For me it does a better job than the Nimrod Sportsman. I think having the additional airflow from the side helps. Possibly I need to adjust the wick on the sportsman.

This morning I fired up one of my old Nording Freehands with a 2'" deep bowl. I had no issues getting a relight toward the end of the bowl with the Zippo

That said I love the design of the nimrod, the IMCO Triplex and my Old Boy knock off.

But at the moment the Zippo and the IMCO G77 find them selves in my pocket everyday.

dugo":ibbf64ld said:
My current pipe lighter plain sucks, flame too high, flame too low, stuttering, refusing too ignite etc..
I wish you the best of luck with it, but you just described my exact experience with the Thunderbird insert.

Dave_In_Philly":13m0epyr said:
dugo":13m0epyr said:
I wish you the best of luck with it, but you just described my exact experience with the Thunderbird insert.
I didn't want to say anything about the Tbird but my buddy got one two weeks ago and had the same complaint. He was just over my house with his Zippo. I drilled a hole into it so now he's got himself a Zippo pipe lighter. He's happy as a pig in merde. :)

dugo":yfxkpy1e said:
I have been using Zippo like forever, the 1941 replica being my favorite, so I thought I give these a try.

Just in the mail..:
I've heard of problems with the ThunderBird insert. I must have gotten lucky. Mine is 2 years old now and still working fine. I found early on that the lever that controls the fuel valve can get sticky so a drop of light oil on that hinge and its good again. I purge mine before I refill it every time. Propellant or air from the butane container can get into the tank and cause some spitting or ignition problems like most other butanes. Purging helps prevent that.

I like the zippo with the zippo pipe insert a lot.

I didn't realize the zippo fuel formula changed that much over the past years. For a long time the heavier fractions of the distilate would build up in the lighter because of evaporation and burning off the lighter fractions and it passed on the gasoline smell to whatever you lit with it.

I remember liking the aroma it gave to my nicotine fixes (Drum shag and Camel cigarettes) and detesting same on quality cigars, but the fuel has gotten a lot more neutral now that I'm reconsidering.

This pipe zippo I got with cotton that never saw any of the old formula is going to be my main pipe lighter. I love how I can aim the flame and not scortch the rime of my pipe.

I tried the gas insert. The thing just works with a 1/4 drop of neutral oil applied to the right places.

I think you'll like the new Zippo fuel, dugo. I wait about 5 seconds after igniting either my Zippo or Imco and by then the smell is pretty much gone. Big difference from the old fuel.

I have two Nimrods spoken of earlier, never had any luck with them, when I suck the flame into the bowl it would go out, very poor wind resistance also, I have yet to try a pipe lighter that performs better than the zippo pipe lighter, also have one with with a Thunderbird insert that I keep in my truck for emergencies but still doesn't compare to the standard zippo insert IMO.