…and the witch gave Snow White an apple.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Oregon. I’ve lived here on and off for 75 years. We’re used to apples here. They’re one of the things that we do. Used to be three in stores…Red and Yellow Delicious for eating and the Grannie Smith, for pies. They were all fine. Then, hey I could likely name a half dozen apple varieties that came and went depending on season, etc. They were all fine. Then not so long ago the glorious Fuji was introduced to the market. A great eating apple. Didn’t see how an apple could taste much better. Then, recently, came the Cosmic Crisp. Ladies and gentlemen, if your faith ever falters and you begin to doubt the existence of God, go find a Cosmic Crisp apple and take a bite. Recently developed at WSU, among other notable attributes it will keep for 12 months chilled. A year. I’d like to have the sole import rights for Japan.

Of course, there are still those fat summer Gravenstine apples from our next door neighbors where I grew up.

IMG_7402.jpeg

Mess? Hmmm. I core the apple then cut off the bottom, even and flat. Set that flat onto the baking dish and it sort of seals the thing and it doesn’t seem to leak all over. Fill the open core with butter, brown sugar, pecans, walnuts, cinnamon…whatever…and bake…maybe 350F for a half hour? But the way you suggested would certainly work. It always ends up the same…eaten.

Interesting!! Cosmic Crisps are my absolute "go to" apple over anything else. I occasionally will get a "Pink Lady" if a CC is not available!! The CCs are sometimes a bit pricey ($2.99/lb), but often offered for quite a bit less. Grand apple!!!!! FTRPLT

Three things always sit on my kitchen counter next to the cooktop…the highest grade of olive oil I can find (Kouzini), likewise with avocado oil (Chosen) and organic unsalted butter.

Try sautéing a cored apple slice in butter, pouring on some pancake batter & having it with some REAL dark maple syrup some crisp Fall morning.

Three things always sit on my kitchen counter next to the cooktop…the highest grade of olive oil I can find (Kouzini), likewise with avocado oil (Chosen) and organic unsalted butter.

Try sautéing a cored apple slice in butter, pouring on some pancake batter & having it with some REAL dark maple syrup some crisp Fall morning.
Now that sounds good plus I bet it’s low fat, glut free, and diabetic friendly. Lol

I knew there was a thread about apples somewhere on here lol. We usually eat honey crisps but I just saw these "Lucy" apples for the first time at the local over-priced hippy grocery store my wife drags me to lol.

The selling point is apparently that the meat in the apple is red, so I had to try one, and they do have some red streaks throughout which is cool, but they are one of the best apples I've ever tried! I have been eating 2 a day since I tried my first one. They are from Chili and are a honey crisp crossed with a red Airlie, and as much as I hate eating an imported apple as an Oregonian, they are definitely worth trying of you see them at the store!20231007_191526.jpg20231007_191415.jpg

I knew there was a thread about apples somewhere on here lol. We usually eat honey crisps but I just saw these "Lucy" apples for the first time at the local over-priced hippy grocery store my wife drags me to lol.

The selling point is apparently that the meat in the apple is red, so I had to try one, and they do have some red streaks throughout which is cool, but they are one of the best apples I've ever tried! I have been eating 2 a day since I tried my first one. They are from Chili and are a honey crisp crossed with a red Airlie, and as much as I hate eating an imported apple as an Oregonian, they are definitely worth trying of you see them at the store!View attachment 13207View attachment 13208
How bizarre, I've never even seen that before. Nor have I heard of this cosmic apple, but now I want to try one. Honey crisp is my go-to. Who would have guessed there were so many apple enthusiasts about!

I think there are over 200 varieties of apples just in the USA. Pink Fairy/Honey Crisps are a favorite, but they aren't the best apple I've ever had. I had a teacher long ago who was from NY, and when they got back from Spring break in NY, they put out a bowl of apples for everyone to grab one on the way out of class. They were an ugly, ugly apple. They said they were Winesaps. The looked like those bags of budget apples you used to find in grocery stores when I was a kid. The meat was white white. I only grabbed one because they were something free to eat. My goodness was that a fantastic experience. I've been searching for that flavor ever since, and I haven't had a winesap since either.

I do not like soft flesh apples or grainy apples. These two things usually come hand-in-hand, but both are uniquely on my radar. I'd rather deal with a muted flavor than a soft meat or a sandy texture. I'm not a big texture person when it comes to food, but with apples, it is important. But I like a super soft, juicy pear, and graininess is in the pear makeup.

I have a theory about picking apples. I always go for the oddest shaped apple. If it has a bulge or isn't symmetrical or isn't round, that's the apple I grab. If it looks like an apple for a photograph, I don't want it. Of course, I squeeze it too for rot or bruising, as I also prefer the hardest apples. But that rule of getting the weirdest shaped ones has never failed me. I've had plenty that looked perfect, like in situations outside my own picking, that were disappointing. I have no science behind this at all. It could be pure coincidence, but really, it is damn near 100% guaranteed that the weird ones deliver the best flavor.

I think there are over 200 varieties of apples just in the USA. Pink Fairy/Honey Crisps are a favorite, but they aren't the best apple I've ever had. I had a teacher long ago who was from NY, and when they got back from Spring break in NY, they put out a bowl of apples for everyone to grab one on the way out of class. They were an ugly, ugly apple. They said they were Winesaps. The looked like those bags of budget apples you used to find in grocery stores when I was a kid. The meat was white white. I only grabbed one because they were something free to eat. My goodness was that a fantastic experience. I've been searching for that flavor ever since, and I haven't had a winesap since either.

I do not like soft flesh apples or grainy apples. These two things usually come hand-in-hand, but both are uniquely on my radar. I'd rather deal with a muted flavor than a soft meat or a sandy texture. I'm not a big texture person when it comes to food, but with apples, it is important. But I like a super soft, juicy pear, and graininess is in the pear makeup.

I have a theory about picking apples. I always go for the oddest shaped apple. If it has a bulge or isn't symmetrical or isn't round, that's the apple I grab. If it looks like an apple for a photograph, I don't want it. Of course, I squeeze it too for rot or bruising, as I also prefer the hardest apples. But that rule of getting the weirdest shaped ones has never failed me. I've had plenty that looked perfect, like in situations outside my own picking, that were disappointing. I have no science behind this at all. It could be pure coincidence, but really, it is damn near 100% guaranteed that the weird ones deliver the best flavor.
I'll have to try that technique! Unfortunately I bet a lot of the mishaped apples end up culled for cider or animal feed rather than getting put on display racks.

We had two very productive apple trees growing up, we would thin them in early September and then pick every damn apple when it started to freeze. We made about 5 gallons of applesauce a year off those trees, with only one of those apple corer/slicer/peeler things that mounts on the counter and spins around lol.

I like many kinds of apples, and just made a yearly trip to Jackson's Orchard in Bowling Green KY where we picked upsome red delicious and Crispin (aka Mutsu). I was after Arkansas Black, but a week too early. They and Crispin are good keepers. I used to know a guy who raised helrloom varieties like Pippin bud wood.