10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, interesting thread. I'm going to go for the more random, less biographical end of the spectrum here:

1. I type over 80 WPM on average, and have hit 100.

2. I roast my own coffee.

3. I think astrology and all things related to the Zodiac are downright stupid (no offense to those who are into it).

4. People who say or write BCE / CE instead of BC / AD annoy me a lot.

5. I own over 10 fretted instruments: several guitars, bass, banjo, mandolin, ukulele. I can even play all of them to various extents.

6. If I get even a little drunk, I will get sick and have a hangover.

7. My first computer was a Texas Instruments 99/4A.

8. I have no middle name.

9. Incorrect use of the apostrophe drives me crazy, probably because there is one in my last name.

10. I have made an effort over the last few years to be the guy who spells out every acronym. For example, today we received a new digital video disc player. Internet communications are generally an exception to this.

-Andrew

adauria":bulnkebz said:
10. I have made an effort over the last few years to be the guy who spells out every acronym. For example, today we received a new digital video disc player. Internet communications are generally an exception to this.
That's a good habit. I don't know what half of the acronyms I use actually stand for and the others I have to really think about before I could tell you. :lol:

http://www.web-friend.com/help/lingo/pcacnm.html

I was looking through that list I posted and found one that I never knew what it stood for but knew where it was applied.

CMYK Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, blacK

It describes a color printer that uses standard toner cartridges but I never put together it was the colors because K does not stand for Black. :lol:

1. I spent five and a half years in college to earn a BS in graphic communications and a bachelor of music in performance only to go to work on the railroad, but then I don't think I could stand to sit behind a computer all day and anyone that's tried to make a living in music knows how easy that is!

2. A friend and I once destroyed an old computer monitor by throwing it on top of a train from a bridge.

3. After spending years drinking nothing but craft beers I've found I have taken a real liking to the classic American lager, just because it is simple and refreshing.

4. A relaxing day for me is driving 200 miles on backroads I have never been on while listening to my iPod.

5. Last year I spent two hours digging my car out of a ditch filled with snow in the middle of the woods near White Pine, MI after the road I was on simply stopped.

6. I don't care about sports and I usually glaze over whenever people talk about them.

7. I am a published photographer.

8. Speaking of which, despite growing up in the digi-photography era, I can process and print my own black and white film.

9. The town I grew up in had only 160 people in it. My graduating class was 7, one was a Hungarian foreign exchange student; my kindergarten class was 4, all were part of my final class of 7, and we were the only 4 that would attend and graduate college; my mom taught my English classes from 7-11 grade.

10. I have really started to get into collecting pre-prohibition beer bottles.

jhuggett":x4jlp2l6 said:
I was looking through that list I posted and found one that I never knew what it stood for but knew where it was applied.

CMYK Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, blacK

It describes a color printer that uses standard toner cartridges but I never put together it was the colors because K does not stand for Black. :lol:
As well as the standard four color press. As I understand it K actually stands for Key color (which is black 99% of the time), though I would say it's more commonly attributed to blacK, as you mentioned above.

1. My wife and I met at Daytona Bike Week when 6 of us rode our motorcycles down the sidewalk and into a bar owned by a friend because we couldn't find parking anywhere else. We were married 3 years and 5 days later, also at Bike Week. Must have made a good first impression.

2. My son and wife are my whole world. I would without hesitation kill or die for either one of them.

3. I tend to be extremely quiet by nature, except in the company of a handful of people who I trust completely.

4. I was always closer to my grandfather than any other family member. My 7 month old is named after him. It's amazing that 11 years after his passing how badly I still miss him. Hopefully by the grace of God, he knows how things are going in my life.

5. I am have very old fashioned values. It's natural for me to hold a door for a woman, give up my seat for an elderly person or feel that a hand shake is as valid as a written contract. Because of little things like this, and a score of others, my wife tells me that I should have been born 50 years earlier.

6. With the exception of specific brands of corn, tomatoes, and baked beans, I refuse to eat any other canned vegetables. I got spoiled growing up on farm raised and home preserved produce.

7. My biggest (only???) regret was not serving in the military. Knee problems and very bad eyesight would have kept me out of the Marines, and at the time didn't have a desire to even look into any other branch.

8. The only reason I moved to Wisconsin was because of my wife (then girlfriend). While it's nice here, and the people are wonderful, it still isn't home and hopefully someday we will move back to PA.

9. I'm a biker, not a rider. There is a difference.

10. Favorite movie of all time: The Godfather or any John Wayne movie. It depends on my mood at the time.

Heh, that 1. is great Hammer8. The only time myself and a couple of friends rode our scoots into a bar that was open it didn't belong to a friend of ours. After some un-easy moments we became friends. He did tell us if we had done burn-outs it would have turned out much differently. :lol:

1. I was 24 inches long when i was born
2. I am the 4th son of a 4th son of a 4th son
3. I don't plan on having 4 kids let alone 4 boys
4. I have a 181, 5-pin bowling average
5. I just went snowboarding for the first time ever this week
6. I have never had a relationship with a dark-haired woman only blondes and red-heads for some reason
7. I have embalmed over 100 people and cremated even more
8. I have kissed the Blarney stone twice and the pavement a bunch of times
9. I believe in aliens
10. I once stayed up for three days straight playing video games when i was fourteen and no one noticed in my household.

1. I looooove perique! 2. I work too much. 3. i've slept with a lot of women. memories are great! 4. i've experienced too much tragedy in my life. 5. yankee by birth, southerner by choice! 6. I was in 64 fist fights by the time I was 20. 7. I miss my cheating, lying ex-wife. 8. I love chihuahuas. 9. I blew off a date with a playboy pet of the year. this was not smart. 10. for the first time in my life I have real hope for the future. not because of obama.

Hammer8":dtc0p6ia said:
5. I am have very old fashioned values. It's natural for me to hold a door for a woman, give up my seat for an elderly person or feel that a hand shake is as valid as a written contract. Because of little things like this, and a score of others, my wife tells me that I should have been born 50 years earlier.
Hey, those are not old fashioned values! Those are forever, universal and best values...and it's nice we still have that kind of gentlemen existing. I hope those are the values that all the pipe smokers do accept as well. I like to think that a pipe smoker is a nice person, whatever his/her life style is.

Hammer8,
I tell my students, I am not a "motorcycle enthusiast," I'm a biker. Since they can see me, they know what I mean. We have a prof in my department who has become the poster child for motorcycle safety. Gets funding, and press, etc. I am the only biker in our department, hell, probably in the school. In 10 years of being in the same department--we have never spoken. She is an "enthusiast."

Don't know why, but that word ENTHUSIAST just bothers me. It's kinda smarmy. :evil:

A great idea - I've enjoyed getting a sense of everyone. Here is mine:

10. I am an intellectual by temperament and an academic by profession (I am a assistant, soon to be tenured I hope, professor at a regional campus of one of the Big Ten);

9. I consider pipes to be primarily a conveyance for tobacco and not as objects in and of themselves (i.e., I am not a pipe collector);

8. I enjoy cigars as much as I enjoy pipe tobaccos as much as I enjoy fine rolling tobaccos as much as I enjoy good dry snuffs and so forth and so on;

7. I take great pride in my cellar, and enjoy contemplating it on a daily basis;

6. In addition to fine tobaccos, I enjoy fine coffees and occasionally roast my own time permitting; food is also a big part of my life;

5. I have a beautiful little girl and a wonderful wife who despises tobacco in all its forms; we are a bi-cultural family and speak two (sometimes three) languages at home;

4. I have an extensive personal and professional library which crowds my home and my office, and am a confirmed bibliophile who collects in various subject and other areas of interest, including tobacciana history;

3. It seems that I am much, much younger than the vast majority of folks on this board, and it gives me great pleasure to have access to its years of collective wisdom;

2. I actually do own a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, but do not wear it very often;

1. It bothers me to no end when people ask “are you off work today”, etc., as there are no strict boundaries between ‘work’ and ‘life’ in what I do – just because I am not teaching a particular day or meeting with students, in a committee meeting, or at my desk hashing out a article and such like, does not mean that I am not ‘working’, it just does not ‘work’ that way;

0. (why only ten?) We own a Depression-era folk Victorian which I have had great fun renovating over the past few years - they just don't makes houses the way they used to.

Cheers!

Thanks for bumping this thread up, Slow Puffs. Those four pages were a mighty interesting read. I feel like I just gained a month or two on getting to know some folks. I'm new here, so I thought I'd throw a few out there:

1. I’ve been smoking a pipe since the early 90's. Each year I smoke it more and more. It gives me patience, and I count it as my good friend.

2. I played Division I basketball in college. I'm 6'7" but played small forward. I was a pretty nasty dunker back then. Now I can barely dunk with one hand. I’m fine with that.

3. I have gone from being a nerd to becoming a popular jock in high school/college and now all the way back around to being a big nerd. It just suits me much better.

4. Sometimes I get withdrawal to the point of sickness when I go too long without casting my fly rod for a nice trout. I’m feeling it as I type this. I like the streams in northwestern North Carolina (my family has a little getaway house with the south fork of the New River running through the front yard in West Jefferson, NC) and the tribal waters in Cherokee, NC.

5. I am way into my wife and kids. It has probably held me back from promotions at work, and I might even need to be medicated for it. But I am seriously ga-ga over them. Seriously.

6. I bought a travel trailer just so my wife would go camping with our three boys and me. It was one of the best purchases we’ve ever made. Instant memories being made all the time. Her idea of roughing it was staying at a hotel with only one restaurant. She needs her own potty. So we got it.

7. I track bills on WheresGeorge.com. I’m top 100 in North Carolina. Why, yes, I do have lots of free time on my hands.

8. We homeschool our three kids. My wife does a much better job educating our children than the government ever could. Period. Plus, her food beats the cafeteria any day. We have a Bible based curriculum.

9. I was a police officer in a small city of 250,000 for 6 years. As a result of that experience I will never again desire to work for any government. I'm in operations management in hospitals for a living now.

10. My favorite type of music is Bluegrass. Yours should be, too. It’s what you’ll hear when you cross the pearly gates. You might as well start now.

Very interesting Joe! I can't wait until this coming Saturday to put a face with that great life story!

TallSmoke":n6fc9t3n said:
10. My favorite type of music is Bluegrass. Yours should be, too. It’s what you’ll hear when you cross the pearly gates. You might as well start now.
So I should start listening to Top 40 radio to get used to the soundtrack I'm going to hear where I'm going, huh?