A BoB Cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1037

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I still like the idea of a bob cob (pronounced bee-oh-bee see-oh-bee OR Bahb cahb).  I have a plan in mind, and am willing to spearhead this idea, but would like to see some interest first.  I am going to cross post this because it can be separate from the "Club Pipe" which should be briar.

The plan would have a distributor make a stamp for either the bottom or side of the shank for a MM Cob shape.  A batch would be made and sold until gone, then a new batch (different shape) could be made.  I think a batch of 100 would be a good number, so we are talking about a couple of hundred bucks for the cobs plus the stamp.  I could swing the "front money" if necessary, but might like a partner or two.  I would want to do this through an extablished dealer (I will shoot out some emails, volunteers to the front for those sellers who read this)

Anyway, shoot me a PM if interested in selling, fronting $, but most importantly if you would want to buy one, pm me or bump this thread for interest

Bumpity. They gotta be a special cob, though. Otherwise, I'm with Puff Daddy and writing on a cob with a magic marker or scratching "BOB" in the shank with a nail. 8)

It'd be cooler if we waited until the bulldog was available, but that's just me.

Kyle Weiss":yspsbqc7 said:
Bumpity. They gotta be a special cob, though. Otherwise, I'm with Puff Daddy and writing on a cob with a magic marker or scratching "BOB" in the shank with a nail. 8)

It'd be cooler if we waited until the bulldog was available, but that's just me.
+1 on the bulldog. If we waited for the bulldog, I'd be in like Flynn.

Im in , especially for the bulldog. How about a differant stem vulcanite or acrylic if possible?

I'm down for a cob. I thought MM would laser the shank for us, at least that was my interpretation based on the talk on the POY thread.

I'm in on the cob. I just got my first one, but still haven't smoked it. I'm interested in expanding my cob collection.

Count me in, I also think it would be fun to make it stand out with something other that the stamp as suggested earlier.

Even with the vintage models, does MM make a bent bulldog? The few pictures I've dug up has suggested they're a straight stem. Personally, I like a 'dog no matter what the configuration, but I prefer a bent if I have a choice. 8)

As for a BoB Cob, as I mentioned in another thread, I've worked with Phil on two Cob Projects, and would be willing to do so again, but it would need to be the way I had outlined, where MM either laser imprints, which will fade over time, or ink print, which is much more permanent. as well as less costly. And yes, there used to be and surely would again be a bent Bulldog. While I prefer ordering our BoB Cob direct from MM, to eliminate potential problems, I'm sure I'd purchase at least one if it was handled by someone else through a distributor. And since a distributor wouldn't do this out of the goodness of his heart, it might actually be more affordable for once to order from the factory. The advantage of doing it this way is that there is no front money needed, and the BoB Cob can be ordered when each member has the funds.

good info and interest so far

the bulldog sounds fun, should we be patient and wait or do a different shape until the bulldog comes out?

as far as logo, i would want to use the brothers of briar part of our banner at the top of the page (just the part that looks like a sign with the two pipes)

while i appreciate the suggestions for modified stems and other ways to "make this special," with approval of the committee, I move that my first try here be an "off the shelf" model. If that means i do a smaller batch at first, i am cool with that, but once i figure out if there are any kinks in the system, then we go all out with fancy cobs with gold plating and the kung fu grip and all that.

as always, comments and discussion are encouraged.

per other thread: this is the information gathering thread/stage. All decisions are not final until put up to a vote by the brothers.

My opinions are simply opinions, and I value the opinions of all others as well.

Does anyone know the status of the much-discussed MM bulldog revival? If it isn't in the immediate future, that point would be moot. . . .

last i heard they were waiting on larger corn from this year's harvest, and they dry the cobs for 2 years, so....

NB third hand information

It seems everyone's pre-pipe ideas are kind of on the table, and we have a few willing people to go forth and take this to the next step. Obviously, this isn't going to be a one-size-fits-all operation, and some people will likely sit out any one of the given suggestions as they go forward. That's perfectly okay. We all have our tastes, wishes, needs and constraints.

I'm on the side of the the project no matter if it's a plastic bubble pipe with a sticker logo, some cobs, or a run of Tinsky briars with our stamp, and that will be up to the organizer--even if it isn't "my perfect pipe." If I want a custom pipe I can have one made just for me from 20 different carvers. This is just supposed to be Brothers thing, and I hope it's fun.

If this does go forward, I'd implore anyone saying "yes" to this to do their best to be patient, understanding and even helpful when needed. The fact we're all talking about the bulk of it now is the best thing we could be doing.

All in good time, and I'll do whatever I can, so if a committee is being formed or thinking about forming, message me if I might be able to fit in.

jefe1037":wz8efesy said:
last i heard they were waiting on larger corn from this year's harvest, and they dry the cobs for 2 years, so....

NB third hand information

MM now uses a quick-drying method so there wouldn't be a two year wait, but only a few months.

tiltjlp":bdfjwtc6 said:
MM now uses a quick-drying method so there wouldn't be a two year wait, but only a few months.
Exciting!!! :D That'll open up a few more avenues for designs!