A good wake up tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeBoy34

Reaction score
Whats a good wake up tobacco that goes well with coffee? (Other than EMP). Any suggestions?

I like some sweet to go with my chicory coffee in the morning so I rotate btwn 3 McC's straight Va's, Virginia Woods, Mature #27, or Blackwoods Flake. Don't need nicotine to wake up, coffee does that :p

Although I'm generally not a aromatic/sweet tobacco smoker, like monbla 256 I like a little sweetness in the morning. I'm also primarily a Virginia or VaPer blend smoker, but enjoy the occasional latakia. But most mornings for a couple years now I start out with a home-made mixture of (rough percentage estimates) 50% latakia blend, 40% some Virginia or burley blend, and around 10% aromatic. Which blend of each changes depending on what I have left over, so it's constantly evolving. But I find it generally mellow, somewhat sweet and flavorful, and a good partner with coffee.

Also, being cheap, it's a good way to use up those blends that are less expensive, or just don't excite me by themselves, but blended they do much better.

Natch

My first smoke of the day isnt with my coffee.

I usually get the coffee goin, load a bowl, and head out to feed horses, and I use my "pony" cobs for that, because I want flavor, and it doesnt take long to do chores.

Lately, ive been smokin Bobs Chocolate Flake, and in that small of a bowl, its pretty darn good.

and if it isnt that, its a sweet Va, like Boswells Va slice, Orliks Golden slice, or my new found favorite Bright CR. again, in a small quick pony cob, it can be pretty tasty.

Sounds cheesy, but EMP really is nice for an early morning pipe. It's also good in the late evening.

Oh well.

8)

Typically, I always have a mild to medium blend cigar, but if I am in the mood for a pipe with coffee, I usually reach for Brown Clunee and a Moretti Oom Paul nosewarmer I have dedicated especially for that blend.

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

The last few months it's been Uhle's blend 00, a mild straight burley with lots of good solid tobacco flavor, MacBaren Burley London Blend or Golden Extra.

For me, FVF is hard to beat. I tend to alternate it with Chelsea Morning. Both with coffee & sometimes snuff.

I pretty much only have time for a morning pipe on weekends when I don't have to work.

Lately it's been a trio of either PS Luxury Twist Flake, PS Luxury Bulls Eye, or OJK.

Like me some mellow VaPers or Burley first thing in the AM. I get enough oomph from the strong black fresh ground coffee I drink,
so don't need any additional nic hit.

Cheers,

RR

Proper English, EMP, or Balkan Sobraine for me - but any English is good for me in the AM

williamcharles":psrddwm3 said:
Brewdude":psrddwm3 said:
williamcharles":psrddwm3 said:
For me it's GH Dark Plug.
Damn, you be hard core brother!

:shock:

Cheers,

RR
I've been told that a time or two. :D
I'd expect nothing less from the SeaBees :)

When without a pipe they can surely make one, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could just pack a wad in their lower lip and smoke it from there :)

the-fighting-seabees-movie-poster-1944-1020430904.jpg

That was a great movie. My only question is, where was Susan Hayward when she was needed?

For some reason, even though I'm a latakia hound, I really appreciate a good straight Virginia in the morning. Anything good, like Wessex, GLP Union Square, FVF, etc. is a candidate.

Thank you Brothers!! All good sugestions.

I tend to like to smoke something sweet in the Am. I tend to go with Va's and Va/Pers and of course EMP is a good early morn starter (even though I know its cheesy Kyle lol). I dont need a huge dose of Nic to get going (but then I dont mind that either). I was thinking about trying blends like Blackwoods and Chelsea Morning and you guys have given me some other good ideas of things to sample as a good Am smoke. Natch was even kind enough to offer me a sample of his blend, I look forward to trying this Natch. :cheers:

Thanks guys! Your brotherhood is greatly appericated.

Steve