A VERY SAD day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
As I have mentioned here on the Forum, I started visiting a man at an independent living facility here in town to enjoy a bowl of 'bac once a week over this past year. We would get together after he had his lunch on Fridays and sit out on the veranda in the smoking area they provided and enjoy some Dunhill Flake ( his tobacco of choice) and just talk about current and past events in our lives and the world. I went over today to have our usual bowl and they informed me at the desk that he had had a heart attack Wednesday this week while eating his dinner. It seems we had connected in more ways than I realized as rhe receptionist said his son left something for me and pulled out a shoe box from the cabinet and handed it to me. I sat down and opened it up and inside were his 6 Dunhill's and three tins of Dunhill Flake, and old British Butner reamer, and two packs of ream-n-clean cleaners along with a short note from his son who thanked me for having taken the time to be with him over this past year. His memorial service will be tommorrow at noon then they will take him up to Pennsylvania to be buried next to his wife and other family members. He was 90 yo same as my father and I guess he sort of became "my" father since mine died 17 years ago. He was a small man, but had been in the Marines in the Pacific during WWII though he never talked much about it ( but I've not known many combat vets who did) and I guess that was a factor in our short relationship. I haven't been able to really do much this afternoon, just sitting and trying to keep the tears away. Loss is a hard one to deal with for sure.
As for his pipes, I emptied a small 6 pipe rack of my pots and have put his pipes in it and it's next to my monitor on my desk so that I can see them. They all will need some cleaning before I could smoke 'em but it's gonna be awhile before I can do that. This is a hell of a way to get some Duhills but I will always be gratefull to his son for this. And now when I smoke Dunhill Flake, it's gonna have a whole different flavor than it used to. I gues part of my "family" died and it's gonna take some time to pass. Thanks for listening guys.

My condolences on your friend's passing; he sounds a bit like my late father.

"T"

Oh man. Loss sucks. Glad you were a bright spot in his last year.

Sorry Monbla. :(

I am sorry brother, I am so thankful the world is full of people like you. Good on ya.

rev

I'm sorry Monbla, that sounds very painful. My condolences.

Sorry to hear that Monbla, your visits must have meant alot to him.

Having gone through a similar experience several months ago I can relate.

I think you have done a good thing. You gave this man comfort and friendship in his last days. He lived a rich and full life and I'm sure he treasured his time with you as much as you did your time with him.

My most sincere condolences to you and his family.

Sounds like he had a good friend, right up to the end.
Your story is touching, and it should be.
My sincerest condolences.

It reaches far and wide, Monbla...I very much enjoyed your typing up the stories here on BoB, the stories told and the times you spent together.

Tonight's pipe's goin' out to him for sure. Send him off at the services well, Mon. You were good to him, and he to you, it seems. :) They don't make 'em like that anymore, do they?

As for the pipes, you'll do him proud making them look great again when you're ready, and it goes to show we own nothing in this world, just borrow it, and hopefully keep it in good enough shape to let someone else enjoy it while they're here.

8)

I have heard it said that our final days are the darkest of them all, many many long hours alone to ponder the past, many moments of sadness are endured alone as an ageing and lonely heart slowly ebbs. You shone like a beacon of hope and love to light the way for that chap, because of you he did not have to face each day alone, you gave him something special and welcoming each time you visited him, that is what was of more benefit to that chap, may days of peace and tranquillity fill your life from here on out, very spiritual of you, very loving of you, to you Sir I give a bow.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Michael. I was just thinking about that guy a few days ago. Or rather, I was thinking about the story you told of him.
May the pipe smoke carry our prayers to the heavens above.

A sad story that your friend has gone but an inspiring story in the way you spent time with him. As others have said here that was a wonderful thing to do and I am sure that it brightened his days.

He will live on in your memory - particularly when you smoke one of his pipes.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends passing. 90 year old men have a lot to share that shouldn't be missed, you were fortunate to meet him and foster the relationship. It sounds like you had quite an impact on his final years, so savor the stewardship of those special pipes.

Did'nt sleep much last night but I wanted to take some time this AM to thank everyone for the kind words and thoughts for my friend. His memorial service will be at noon today and I hope that the sun will come out then as it's cold and raining right now. Again, thank you guys.

My sincerest condolences for yours and his family's loss Michael. My thoughts and prayers are with you.