A word about Avatars . . .

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew we could get along. Hell we look like we are kin, By the way I like your hat

I could 'borrow' Cartaphilus' one tooth, put it where I'm missing mine, and I'd have a full set.

My avatar is a crop of my favourite pipe.

dougc905":i8bcxblr said:
I could 'borrow' Cartaphilus' one tooth, put it where I'm missing mine, and I'd have a full set.

My avatar is a crop of my favourite pipe.
And what in tar nation am I suppose to clench with?

Cartaphilus":0r9xtpoy said:
What ya mean joke?
You laughing at my tooth? That's one a clench with.
You try doing it with one tooth and see how funny it is.
Point taken. I can sympathize with your plight. Even though I have a few more teeth than you, they sure make clenching tough.

teeth10.jpg

UberHuberMan":mj1iscev said:
Cartaphilus":mj1iscev said:
What ya mean joke?
You laughing at my tooth? That's one a clench with.
You try doing it with one tooth and see how funny it is.
Point taken. I can sympathize with your plight. Even though I have a few more teeth than you, they sure make clenching tough.

teeth10.jpg
Cute, you really know how to hurt a guy. At least you can file yours.

Airborne":blzifmms said:
,,, I know that there’s some pretty cool avatars being used and, generally, I like them.,,,, . However, for me, they seem to put up a slight road block because, truly, I don’t know with whom I’m talking. ,,,,,,,, making the communication a little less personal.
Well that's the thing,,,you [generally,,, not you in particular] don't know the person you're talking to. I'm wanted in seventeen states and several provinces, I really don't want my face revealed. Members come and go here faster than a freight train through Lawrence, Kansas,,,,one of them might recognize me. So talk to my avatar,,,Rocky [ my beloved departed boxer] ,or the running puppy, the weird naked guy with the tuba up his butt, or whatever I come up with next and think "I'm glad I can't pick him out of a lineup,,,never seen him before officer",,,

Ah, Jason, about your new avatar . . . I mean, eh . . . that is to say, a . . . on second thought, never mind. (Phew!)

The FBI is looking for me and if any of them were to lurk here, I would be screwed.

my avatar is me... smoking a pipe...

In nearly all other online venues (facebook, twitter, aim, etc) I use this pictures as my avatar.

marty_sketch_sm.jpg

A friend scratched it a while ago on an old envelope, while joking with me about how much coffee I drink.

If he happens to scratch down one of me smoking a pipe, I'll probably use it.

I don't so much think folks are trying to hide their identity as much they have a little fun with the avatars. I've put some odd ones up from time to time, but I certainly can respect Airborne's thoughts on this matter, hence my change of avatar for an undetermined period of time. It can be said that a face can be placed with the name, at least for a little while.

I to have used a few avatars on other forums as well. I go to a shooting forum and my favorite avatar is this one
Yosemite-Sam-1.jpg

Is Yosemite Sam blowing it out his rear and shooting wildly in the air again? He's such a hoot. :lol:

I currently do not know what I am doing when it comes to pipe smoking...

I plan on getting a better Avatar in the near future.

I'm too ugly to post my pic, instead I'm now using the image of one of my favorite charters of my youth. Like me, he is a physicist, but was involved in much more interesting adventures than I.

I would use an actual photo of myself, but I'm just so damn good looking. I wouldn't want to inspire jealousy or embarass the rest of you guys or make anyone feel inadequate.

Lol.

Actually what it comes down to is that my wife is afraid i may inadvertently incriminate myself in some way (she has known me well enough and long enough to understand that this is a very real possibility), and prefers that I don't have a photo of myself attached to anything that may come back to trouble me/us. I've explained that it's probably much too late for that, but out of respect I also acquiesced.

I think there is a photo of me floating around the forum somewhere that I posted if anyone is realy that motivated. I've no fear of divulging my identity to anyone on the forum or anything of that nature, but I'll keep my non-photo avatar if it's all the same to you. Besides, I kind of like the idea of someone associating my posts with some giant green disembodied floating head speaking to you out of the blue... :lol:

Frost":6arvkgsi said:
I kind of like the idea of someone associating my posts with some giant green disembodied floating head speaking to you out of the blue... :lol:
Hey Frost, I've always been a bit freaked out by that avatar of yours... For exactly the reason you state!