An explanation. Of sorts...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, once again all I can say is you all left me speechless! I had to work and got home at 2am and went to bed, so I just now got back to the thread. I couldn't believe the number of responses... it was so good to hear from all of the old gang and to see so many new names. You are a great bunch of guys and I am honored to call you friends!

I'm looking forward to getting back in the swing of things here and getting to know everyone better. I won't be around much until the weekend though, I have to work three 13 hour shifts over the next few days, so it's pretty much work and sleep and back to work...

Anyway, thank you so much for making me feel welcome.

Jack

Welcome back, Jack. Although I don't think we've had the pleasure of a posting conversation, I remember you. You're the tea-drinking minimalist with a love of old cameras, right? I'm returning from short sabbatical myself, taken for similar reasons.
Simple Man":la6he1lo said:
I read my comments and thought they were all garbage so I deleted them.
I know that feeling so well I could have written that myself. Maybe I did, but deleted it. ;)
One thing I've learned about web forums: No matter how stupid your posts, someone out there will think you're a damn genius.
Take care.
-G

George Kaplan":7g6trcu6 said:
Welcome back, Jack. Although I don't think we've had the pleasure of a posting conversation, I remember you. You're the tea-drinking minimalist with a love of old cameras, right? I'm returning from short sabbatical myself, taken for similar reasons.
Simple Man":7g6trcu6 said:
I read my comments and thought they were all garbage so I deleted them.
I know that feeling so well I could have written that myself. Maybe I did, but deleted it. ;)
One thing I've learned about web forums: No matter how stupid your posts, someone out there will think you're a damn genius.
Take care.
-G
That post is GENIUS! :cheers: :lol:

And yes, you have an exceptional memory! Minimalist, tea drinking, old camera loving... pretty much sums it up.

I really am surprised at how many men I meet who struggle with the same issues I do. I came from a background of "just man-up" or "walk it off", so when I couldn't just "walk off" depression I just figured I must be really weak or that I was the only man in the world who was going through such a thing. I'm a bit relieved to find others that have gone through or are currently going through the same battles. I do intend to get through this and to leave it behind and enjoy the remainder of my life. I am having a much better outlook on life in general now.

grouphugg.gif

Thank you, Kyle. I am now able to fish!

So Jack,

If I remember correctly, you were considering stop smoking all together. Is that still true or do you still have a pipe every once in a while?

Piece of advise.. if you even suspect you have some type of mental disorder, much less an actual diagnosis, consult a physician before cold turkey on the burning weed. My ADD or whatever it is went bat shit crazy when I quit.

No, I went without one for a few months, but now I smoke about two or three times a week. I'm enjoying it much more now... too bad I got rid of most all of my pipes. Oh well, maybe over time I'll build a small collection of nice pipes again.

I have found several tobaccos that appeal to me now, the two I have listed remain as favorites. I also have been really enjoying Orlik Golden Sliced...

puros_bran":lmdwddt1 said:
Piece of advise.. if you even suspect you have some type of mental disorder, much less an actual diagnosis, consult a physician before cold turkey on the burning weed. My ADD or whatever it is went bat shit crazy when I quit.
I hadn't related the two, bipolar and smoking, but I did quit smoking about the time all of this went haywire, so you might be on to something. Back to smoking and doing a lot better now... hmmmm.

I've researched it a little.
Apparently Nicotine and other natural trace chemicals act as a MAOI in the human brain. I replaced the nicotine with a personal vaporizer, more commonly known as an e cigarette, I recently have tried replacing the other chemicals by eating veggies that contain similar doses., peppers, tomatoes and the like. I'm 'almost' back to normal, if there is such a thing.

Question: when you quit did you notice any of these?

Constipation, an outbreak of zits, muscle spasms,memory loss, extremely vivid dreams? anything else?

puros_bran":32mb9x4b said:
I've researched it a little.
Apparently Nicotine and other natural trace chemicals act as a MAOI in the human brain. I replaced the nicotine with a personal vaporizer, more commonly known as an e cigarette, I recently have tried replacing the other chemicals by eating veggies that contain similar doses., peppers, tomatoes and the like. I'm 'almost' back to normal, if there is such a thing.

Question: when you quit did you notice any of these?

Constipation, an outbreak of zits, muscle spasms,memory loss, extremely vivid dreams? anything else?
Memory loss and crazy vivid dreams... I also noticed that I had more ocd type problems, (locking the door then checking it 3 or 4 times, not being able to write or concentrate until I figure out what in the room is out of place and then fixing it). Other than that, I had some crazy mood swings. I would be just fine one minute and ten minutes later I'd be totally depressed and feeling like there was nothing worthwhile in life.

Nuts! I hope that stuff is behind me.

Puros has a point. I've talked with multiple people and doctors that Tourette's, bipolar, anxiety, ASD, and even schizo-affected disorders are mellowed out with nicotine. The pipe has been a godsend to me, gives me time to realign the ship's sensor arrays, get away from the irritating and painful noises, communicate with people in a thoughtful and decent manner, concentrate, and even something to fixate upon, in this case (mine) the briar grain itself... I have caught myself staring for almost half an hour inspecting each little grain with my nearsightedness. It's like a little world in there.

There's always too much of a good thing, but I think a few pipes a week is a very reasonable thing to add to one's regimen if they suspect some monkey wrenches in the head-machine. Provided it isn't aggravating other health aspects.

What you describe is actually common among people who quit, just no one discusses it.
I wouldn't have a clue myself but I hang out of forums with other quitters and see the commonality of symptoms people discuss.

puros_bran":7fn6hc8x said:
What you describe is actually common among people who quit, just no one discusses it.
I wouldn't have a clue myself but I hang out of forums with other quitters and see the commonality of symptoms people discuss.
Ok, so it is a scientifically proven fact, quitting is bad for your health.

Welcome back Simple Man, I didn't have the pleasure of knowing you before, but I have experience of depression and I know how hard it can be to live with. I applaud your courage and determination to beat it back. Best wishes to you from the UK.

christeaux":du5bqdkh said:
puros_bran":du5bqdkh said:
Ok, so it is a scientifically proven fact, quitting is bad for your health.

No, not really... Burning tobacco releases certain chemicals that 'treat' a plethora of 'disorders' in the adult human brain. There are numerous other ways to 'treat' these disorders.

I will say this though, IF the numerous added chemicals were removed from tobacco products I do not believe them to be as harmful as opinion holds. Tobacco in and of itself is not the problem.

Well, at least remove the synthesized/unnecessary chemicals from tobacco, mainly cigarettes, is what I think you're drivin' at, PeeB, right? I seem to remember a list Mark put up recently with some horrifically unpronounceable words that ended up being mostly (harmless?) natural flavor extracts for pipe tobacco. Something tells me papaya isn't going to make me explode in tumors randomly. I could be wrong, though.

8)

Glad to see you back. I'm not bi-polar, but I'v dealt with depression most of my adult life. Come back, enjoy. Later.