Any pipe carvers?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Quite a few members have shown a lot of talent carving their own pipes. I'm sure there's a number of brothers here that have thought about sculpting a hunk of briar into a masterpiece they can be proud of but just haven't gotten around to it. I know I've been itching to give it a try.
I'm wondering if there's any interest in maybe having a little pipe making contest. My thought is to use pre drilled blocks, eliminating lack of machinery, tooling, and experience from drilling the airway and tobacco chamber. That leaves shaping, and finishing to show your artistic talent.
I know everyday life gets in the way as far as time to work on a project like this, and a couple members are in school leaving them only the summer,,,,,maybe we could finish up in the fall,,,,any interest?,,,thoughts?,,,problems?,,,

How cool!

This sounds like a great idea. Panel of judges and anonymously carved pipes to make it fair?

-mike.

I would ,however I am now on a very tight budget do to current happenings. so I would be left with what I can find on my own and do completely. Meaning finding burl, drilling and so on, If you can leave those out of the equation I may be able to do it.

Maybe you can have several catagories. Like one for made the entire pipe by hand meaning all of the tooling ect. a pre drilled block catagory,a catagory for the drilling done but mouth pieces ect bought.

I also think that the Judges be ones that do it for a living.

I would LOVE to do this. But like you said, we students may be better off in a summer. Maybe have different "leagues" with differing "seasons" lol :lol: I've always wanted to carve my own pipe but haven't gotten off my ass to do so yet.

I'm down to Judge..
Just send all the pipes to

PB
555 PBway
PBville,KY
BR548

How about this,,,make a pipe, predrilled block or start from scratch,,,I think for judging purposes let's eliminate points for grain,,,you may get a very plain chunk of briar,,,,or someone may use olive, cherry, maple or something exotic, in which case the grain patterns are like comparing apples to oranges. Predrilled blocks come with a stem,,,grabbing a chunk of hardwood, drilling the tobacco chamber and airhole/mortise, then forming a stem is more involved,,,maybe two catagories?

post a picture and set up a poll, or select judges?

maybe comments from the brothers on likes and dislikes of the pipes would be helpful?

Kentucky judges should send the required judging fee to me. :D

Count me in. I've been wanting to do this for quite some time now. This might just be the push that I need to get started.

Whether it turns out good or bad, it will be fun - and that's what it is really all about anyway.

OK,,,, Eight in so far,,,any more ideas?,,,any problem with finishing up at the end of summer to give the guys in school some time?,,,,need a little input guys,,,judges or poll?,,,,we have one volunteer judge, but I think he wants to try them out,, :p

Posting the finished product anonymously is technically beyond me,,,I'm lucky to get on line without help,,,,

More ideas, anyone, anyone....

We can just send the pictures to a single person, then they load all the pictures with aspecific number or whatnot and then the various processes whether voting or individual judges, can be completed anon.

just a poll, that way everyone can be involved. I also thought of a couple more catagories.

most original

sets (2 or more different pipes or mouthpieces like the Hans Christian Anderson)

OK guys,,,let's make this as simple as possible,,,,

A: make a pipe from a pre drilled block

B: make a pipe from scratch

Finished pipes to be posted anonymously

Judging by board poll

September 1st finish date

Any problems, speak now or forever hold your peace,,,,,

I guess we're good to go gentlemen,,,,

Go have some fun,,,,

We'll see how everyone made out in September,,,

Good luck,,,

Mark,,,

Are multiple submissions by one member allowed? I have a feeling it may take me a couple of tries to get in the swing of things, but may submit 'em all if allowed.

itsKot":1tykue8s said:
Are multiple submissions by one member allowed? I have a feeling it may take me a couple of tries to get in the swing of things, but may submit 'em all if allowed.

This is all about learning something and having fun,,,,as far as I'm concerned go for it,,,,,,,anyone object?,,,

mark":eznxlkim said:
itsKot":eznxlkim said:

This is all about learning something and having fun,,,,as far as I'm concerned go for it,,,,,,,anyone object?,,,
Not me, I may do the same thing.