Are You A Pipe Collector or A Pipe Smoker?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Falconer":a8kdg961 said:
Let's see, I've been smoking a pipe for 43 years, I have accumulated a total of 24 pipes in that period of time. 8 of them since I've joined the BoB in June this year. :shock: My most expensive pipe was a whopping $150. Umm, I reckon that makes me a smoker rather than a collector? I've never owned a Dunny but I can't imagine it smoking any better than my $23 Baraccini. To me it's like comparing a Corvette to a Silverado pickup. They both comfortably get you from point A to point B and you see the same sights along the way, but with the vette your riding in style. :)

And yes I drive a Siverado. :|
Are you still allowed to drive Brother Dutch??? :lol!:

Are you still allowed to drive Brother Dutch???

Yes but restricted to dirt roads. thankfully Kansas has a lot f them. :D

Falconer":y4eu4ki8 said:
Are you still allowed to drive Brother Dutch???

Yes but restricted to dirt roads. thankfully Kansas has a lot f them. :D
Just Yaking your chain bro!!!!

:lol!:

My most expensive pipe is a Savinelli Roma Prince, and at $82.00, that qualifies me as a smoker, not a collector. Although I hope to some day have a nice "dress-up" pipe of some sort or type.

New Smoker":xgeua9bm said:
My most expensive pipe is a Savinelli Roma Prince, and at $82.00, that qualifies me as a smoker, not a collector. Although I hope to some day have a nice "dress-up" pipe of some sort or type.
Tobacco collector then NS. Cause you spend all your money on stash bro!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Piet, Even the finest blend can be enjoyed to its fullest in a 3 dollar cob (providing you can smoke through the varnish taste). :lol!:

New Smoker":cx6s9rbt said:
Piet, Even the finest blend can be enjoyed to its fullest in a 3 dollar cob (providing you can smoke through the varnish taste). :lol!:
Hear hear Bro!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
That varnish is bitter man!

I own an original "Piet Binsbergen Pipe". Does that make me a smoker or a collector :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

DoverPipes":lz56rhx2 said:
I own an original "Piet Binsbergen Pipe". Does that make me a smoker or a collector :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
that makes you lucky!

bruins":01i5u71c said:
DoverPipes":01i5u71c said:
that makes you lucky!
Bruins you have one too you Doos!!!!! :lol!:

DoverPipes":orvo5cn3 said:
UHHHHH, dover that makes you a doos too!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

bluedigital":rhvygvi3 said:
Thank goodness I'm not a Doos.... yet! :lol!:
BD you are a Doos too, you live in CT, all of you who live in such a cool place are Dooses in my book!
..............just because I'm jealous!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Piet Binsbergen":jl03on7l said:
bluedigital":jl03on7l said:
BD you are a Doos too, you live in CT, all of you who live in such a cool place are Dooses in my book!
Always here if you need a place to come spend the hols my brother. It would be selfish to live in such a cool place and not share it
emoticon-object-062.gif

bluedigital":3126ld6a said:
Piet Binsbergen":3126ld6a said:
bluedigital":3126ld6a said:
Always here if you need a place to come spend the hols my brother. It would be selfish to live in such a cool place and not share it
emoticon-object-062.gif
Shot BD!!!!

As most others here, I collect pipes to smoke. Doesn't matter how much the pipe costs or is worth it gets smoked. That being said, I don't own any high dollar pipes but what I do have is pretty special to me.

I've got one unsmoked pipe only because I haven't gotten around to it. She's a beauty though.

I do have a certain fondness for Ser Jac maximas; I have about 8, which is a small collection I suppose.

Having said that, I don't see the distinction, per se: I collect pipes but I smoke them too; if that makes them lose value, so be it (it certainly doesn't make them less valuable for me and I figure my pipes will be part of my estate after I'm gone, I just hope whoever gets them enjoys them as much as I did). I have a couple of expensive pipes -- well, expensive for me, they seem to rank as mid grade in the grand scheme of things -- that for one reason or another don't suit me particularly. I've collected them I suppose but the idea of having a pipe I didn't smoke seems foolish; I've had bowls that I've put down for years and then gone back to.

But if collecting pipes as an aesthetic experience makes you happy, go for it. I've heard that there are people who buy wine and don't drink it, which seems like far more restraint then I'll ever have.

First and foremost a smoker.
I've got my eye on a Solaria 614, hella sale price of $84.

If I were to pull the trigger on that it would be the most expensive pipe I own.

Orrrrr.... That same $84 would get a couple of lbs of tobacco, some more cleaners and enough left over for an eBay bid.

Smoked cigarettes for just short of 40 years. During the process of quitting the darn things I realized how wonderful tobacco could be when partaken of in a "sensible" manner.

Pipe, snuff, Swedish snus, all keep me happy.
But I am a smoker.

I've 13 pipes that serve for a regular rotation.
Another 15 that see fire occasionally, churchwardens and clays and such.

I don't view that herd a collection anymore than the tools in my workshop.
They're really just that, tools required for a given pursuit.

Now, if that lottery ticket sitting there proved to be a winner, well, I could become a collector easy enough!

Krusty said:
Smoked cigarettes for just short of 40 years. During the process of quitting the darn things I realized how wonderful tobacco could be when partaken of in a "sensible" manner.

Well said!