Are You A Pipe Collector or A Pipe Smoker?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about 50 pipes, but that number is growing every month. Having said that I'd never buy a pipe and not smoke it, and the more I spend the more it must be smoked to justify the expenditure.

I have an 1879 hand-carved Peterson cherry wood pipe which my son caught me smoking the other day. He couldn't believe his eyes, as it's worth a substantial sum, but that is almost the appeal: to smoke the best I can afford.

If I purchase a pipe it's always with a view to how well it might smoke. And does anyone here think you can have too many pipes?

part of the art of pipes is how well crafted they are inside and out. the ability of a nice looking pipe to smoke well is an art in its self. its easy to make a pretty pipe. its art to make a good smoker.

you can not know the art of a pipe until it is smoked.

im a smoker and a collector... no pipe I have will be unsmoked. :pirat:

werewolfhands":guw6bpfn said:
part of the art of pipes is how well crafted they are inside and out. the ability of a nice looking pipe to smoke well is an art in its self. its easy to make a pretty pipe. its art to make a good smoker.

you can not know the art of a pipe until it is smoked.

im a smoker and a collector... no pipe I have will be unsmoked. :pirat:
I was thinking the same thing. If you have a pipe that you think is awesome, would it still be awesome if you lit it up and it didn't have good smoking characteristics?

Having said that my cap on pipes is usually 475. I am yet to dish out the cash for something in the thousands. I keep telling myself that if I put away 200 a month, I can buy a Nanna Ivarson at the end of the year, but haven't actually done it yet.

After that, I will see if I still am so adament that a pips must be smoked.... :pipe:

LL":cku1lk32 said:
It think "smoker or collector?" is the wrong question. Better is, "pipe collector or pipe accumulator?"

A collector can explain why he bought a certain pipe, while an accumulator can't (beyond "I just liked it," anyway)
Then I'm very definitely a collector. I'm working to avoid being an accumulator. I could easily let PAD overwhelm me. I really do want them ALL; focusing on collecting Charatan's removes 95% of the pipeworld from I WANT THEM ALL ;)

As a person of a mixed background I have a BA in Art and design and have done studio work from painting to sculpting and such i can appreciate some pipes for there purely aesthetic and artistic interpretations.. yes they can be a functional piece of art and such.. But then there is the other half of me I also grew up in the Midwest were alot of my family is still hands in the dirt mud on there shirts farmers who drive pickup trucks and the like.. even my job is a mechanic.. Yeah a mechanic with a degree in art.

So for me its like this.. With pipes I'm strictly a smoker and even if i had one that for some would be seen as a piece of art id probably still smoke it.. Also Sometime down the road i do plan to try my hand at carving a few pipes here and there and hopefully some will look really nice. But in the end i'll still see them as a pipe something to sit in a study and be contemplate and handled and smoked..
when it comes to collecting things that i just look at.. Thats what paintings and various sculptures or antique items or yore are for.

I guess I am a smoker/accumulator. I am always looking for pipes, but I have yet to buy a unused pipe, all my pipes are "pre-owned". I don't dignify my accumulation by calling it a collection because I do not have a theme for my purchases, other than I am looking for another "great smoker".
If my budget was different I might be tempted to collect. However I have less than ten pipes that are for display only, and none are of the variety that smoking would materially lessen their value.
Would I buy a pipe as a "work of art", possibly, but I can't see it as burning desire. :pipe:

Back when eBay was still a flea market, I used to enjoy getting old Irish and English pipes (pre-Cadogan era) that were distinctly nice, but going cheap because they were offered by housewives in Illinois and weren't spit polish shiny.

The gems went off to restorers for the kind of light cosmetic stuff I couldn't do myself. When they came back just too nice to put any more miles on, they went into boxes with lids to keep the light from oxydising the stems. Where they remain today.

So a 1923 Peterson System Patent, a BBB Own Make Virgin bulldog and a Comoy bulldog, along with a couple other pre-republic Petersons are honorably retired from active service, after the fact.

The smokers (except for one Cavicchi) are equally old, and almost equally nice. Except now that LL custom-tuned lucite replacement stems are available, they get smoked.

:face:

I'm both. While I smoke most of my pipes, I do have a certain number I have never smoked as I love them in their pristine condition.

A thought:

If one has spent more money on pipes than on tobacco, one is a collector. If one has spent more money on tobacco than on pipes, then one is a pipe smoker (or, perhaps a tobacco lover who just happens to enjoy it in pipes, as the case may be).

Kapnismologist":ezdp19m4 said:
A thought:

If one has spent more money on pipes than on tobacco, one is a collector. If one has spent more money on tobacco than on pipes, then one is a pipe smoker (or, perhaps a tobacco lover who just happens to enjoy it in pipes, as the case may be).
That sort of assumes that the money spent on tobacco is on tobacco smoked. Now time may prove them right, but some folks have enough tobacco cellared to last them for the next century, "just in case". :twisted:

I imagine there was some poor soul in New Orleans with the approach of Katrina was debating whether he should pack up the wife and kids, or the rest of his cellar. (as they say: "that's when the fight started....")

I am a smoker, I buy estate pipes to rehabilitate and hopefully improve my rotation. All the pipes i smoke are good enough, but some are definitely better than others, and I am always on the look for improvement. I would not hesitate to duplicate one of the "great smokers", because they are basically tools to me.

There are some who are acquirers. Caught in the clutches of PAD, they acquire new pipes like some people shop for shoes, ties, or fishing lures. As long as it isn't the mortgage or grocery money, or the kids college money, I suppose that is all right. There are wealthy acquirers, and there are poor acquirers, the latter may have a trunk full of rundown and broken cobs and Dr. Gs, and his smokers are held together with duct tape and wire.

Now collectors are a refined form of acquirer, and they have an area in which they collect. Alfred Dunhill collected pipes historically important in smoking, and it became a museum. A Bill Gates could attempt to collect, say, one of each Dunhill pipe made, and still be searching 50 years from now for the rarer pipes. A more limited Dunhill collection might target a sample of all the marking variations over the years.
On the other end of the spectrum there is a fantastic collector and collection of the innovative "the pipe". These pipes made of "rocket age" material were all the rage at one time, and sold as premium pipes everywhere, sold in the thousands. Now days they typically sell in the 5 to 20 dollar range. [See: http://www.thepipe.info/history/index.html ]

All the collectors have some theme and limit on where their interest lies. A collection could totally unsmokable, like historical clays, dug from the old outhouse holes of a western mining time (Well I wouldn't smoke 'em :lol!: ). It could be immanently smokable, a representative collection of Danish free form carvers, or Kaywoodie straight grain pipes.

Being a "collector" is more socially acceptable than being a "mere" accumulator. :D

Danish_Pipe_Guy":tlv0ypkl said:
It seems an easy enough question to answer but if you think on it a bit it's really not. Of course you're a pipe smoker! We're all smokers of pipes but some of here also collect pipes that seldom get smoked and I suspect that there's even some folks here like me who occasionally buy pipes that will likely NEVER get smoked!

So now comes the question of how we define a pipe smoker and a pipe collector. I have good friends who collect pipes that cost several thousand dollars. These pipes are carefully smoked but not very often. The majority of these folks smoke one bowl of tobacco per day and have such large collections that it may take months for a pipe to come up again in their rotatation. Some even buy such elaborate and ornate pipes that to smoke them once would devalue them signifigantly. They sit on racks and are ocassionally taken out to look at and admire. I personally have a half dozen of these and have even felt a pang of guilt for owning something that doesn't get used. It seems a silly indulgence at times but when you start looking at them as an investment and tiny works of art it becomes a bit more palatible.

On the flip side of this are folks who buy pipes strictly to smoke. The true value of owning them weather they be expensive or modest is to smoke them. To own a pipe that doesn't get used at all would be rediculous to them.

I find that I fall somewhere in the middle of these two camps. I do indeed buy pipes that are seldom smoked and I buy pipes like my Stans which are smoked often. I usually average out at 4-5 bowls a day.

So, are you a collector, a smoker or a little bit of both?...

I've only owned one Dunhill in my life. It smoked like shit and I sold it. I agree with Dock.

It would be a little sad to own a stable full of prize winning Ferrari's only to have to admit that you don't know what it's like to drive one, in the same way that a rack full of unsmoked Dunhill's is kind of a shame. Ultimately however, there is no shortage of good/great pipes and pipe carvers nowadays, and does every single pipe need to be smoked? I think it's quite OK to reserve a few strictly for admiration. For me, admiring a pipe (as opposed to "using" a pipe) means holding it, feeling it's weight, tracing it's lines with a finger. It's as much a tactile pleasure as it is a visual one. As someone noted earlier, would you be content simply staring at a beautiful woman, or would you want to get your hands on her? If some mad scientist were to invent a very ugly, yet perfect smoking device, we may all rush out to buy one, but I don't anyone would stop wanting beautiful pipes to enjoy, in whichever way they choose. This may change, but currently I only smoke a small percentage of the pipes I own, but I LOVE those few... :pirat:

EJinVA":kg4p1rec said:
I never understood all these folks that buy pickup trucks and NEVER :scratch: hauled anything in them for fear of SCRATCHING :affraid: the bed.
:cheers: (gonna have to get used to the new avatar ejinva)

smoker, but i do appreciate beauty in pipes. funny how 'what is beautiful' changes when an ugly pipe gives you a great smoke!

So far I smoke all my pipes but I'm sure one day I'll have pipe(s) that will be display only!

I've never met a collector who isn't a serious, every day smoker. Do such folks actually exist? (not rhetorical)

Zeno Marx":sxstaahd said:
I've never met a collector who isn't a serious, every day smoker. Do such folks actually exist? (not rhetorical)
It would be pretty strange to
collect pipes and not smoke pipes.

Let's see, I've been smoking a pipe for 43 years, I have accumulated a total of 24 pipes in that period of time. 8 of them since I've joined the BoB in June this year. :shock: My most expensive pipe was a whopping $150. Umm, I reckon that makes me a smoker rather than a collector? I've never owned a Dunny but I can't imagine it smoking any better than my $23 Baraccini. To me it's like comparing a Corvette to a Silverado pickup. They both comfortably get you from point A to point B and you see the same sights along the way, but with the vette your riding in style. :)

And yes I drive a Siverado. :|

Boils down to ,,,does a "wizzmachi primo" with a payment book make you happy, or can a cob do the same thing,,,