Authors and Bulldogs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koogs

Reaction score
As I have done searching for my first briar pipe, I have come to the conclusion that I would like the shape to be either an author or a bulldog. Does anyone have a suggestion of manufacturers that have "the best" of these pipes?

Off the top of my head, I would say a Savinelli 320 or several of the Peterson shapes for a bulldog. A bent Peterson bulldog would be kind of a blend of the two. Try cupojoes for pics. He's got a great selection.

If you've got a good pipe shop nearby, tell them that you're looking for a bulldog, authors are a little rarer, and see if they can find an estate or basket for you to try.

try going to pipeandcigar.com they have a large selection of new and estate pipes and a lot of the time they have sales. Happy hunting and good luck.
Best Regards
Richard

Richard Burley":gx198q5q said:
Off the top of my head, I would say a Savinelli 320 or several of the Peterson shapes for a bulldog. A bent Peterson bulldog would be kind of a blend of the two. Try cupojoes for pics. He's got a great selection.
Ditto the Savinelli suggestion. They have several options that might fit your desired profile.

I'm growing fond of the Peterson 999 shape, which is a version of an "Author" I believe.
PetersonAran999.jpg

I would browse Stanwell pipes at Smokingpipes, or any of the other e-tail pipe sites. They make a very wide variety of styles at affordable prices, and it's hard to find much negative feedback about that brand.

As mentioned, the Savinelli 320K is a great shape, and they offer it in a lot of finishes, but I've always thought of it as an Author. This photo shows a rare Giubileo D'Oro 320K.

Mark Tinsky does a Mean author as well, reminiscent of the Sav 320, and you can find one on his web site occasionally, or posted in his updates in the Town Crier subforum.

Steve

savinelli_giubileo_doro_irc_selection_1.jpg

I have the 999's Bulldog cousin, the 80s and its one of my favorites. I would highly recommend that one, or any of the other Petes (I also have a 150 that I got from a brother on this forum).

I would echo Tim's suggestion of checking out your local B&M (if you have one). Even after seeing all of the pictures and reading the specs online, I was surprised by the diminutive nature of my first few Peterson's when they arrived in the mail.

Simple Man":qb8fl8x2 said:
Dave_In_Philly":qb8fl8x2 said:
I have the 999's Bulldog cousin, the 80s and its one of my favorites. I would highly recommend that one, or any of the other Petes (I also have a 150 that I got from a brother on this forum).
The 80s is a really nice looking Peterson... one of my favorite styles too. I've yet to get one, but maybe before along. It's on my list with about a dozen others. lol
Same here. Pete 999/80S and their variants are great.

Ol'Dawg":vz3wbvis said:
The Peterson 999 is also one of my favorite shapes. You might want to check out the Savinelli 673ks which is another of my favorite shapes; sorta of a cross between a bulldog, rhodesian and author...a bullrhothor(?). Milan is having a sale on their Duca Carlo line of Savinelli pipes--
http://www.milantobacco.com/savinelli_duca_carlo_pipes2.htm

Jim
$42 for a new one? Not bad!!! Good tip!

Oops, yeah probably could have PM'ed that. :oops: :oops: Well, so long as a BoB'ster gets it! :D