Authors and Bulldogs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riff raff":xh888p7w said:
Idlefellow":xh888p7w said:
If I may...

Authors...

005-1.jpg
Idlefellow:  What make is that top pipe?  I just sold one of an identical shape, it was stamped Dorset.

Riff,

I keep meaning to answer your question, but then I forget to look at the pipe when I'm at home :oops: !  To the best of my recollection it's stamped Chadwick or Chaddick or something like that.  I'll clarify if I can remember...

sisyphus":zl9j4kma said:
No, _all_ Savs are good smokers. The difference between a Punto Oro and the lower series is quality of finish and stem work.
My experience is that, out of the 1 dozen Sav's I own, 12 are excellent++ smokers. I have from almost bottom line to Punto's and I love all of them.

But the Trevi 320ks is one OUTSTANDING pipe and I doubt if I will ever find another pipe like that.

Bankers have an oval shank, and are a shorter, stouter version of the Diplomat. Authors are a variation of bent apple and always have a round stem.

That bottom one a Royal Danish or a Stanwell? I have one recently inherited which looks the same.

sisyphus":t9askupa said:
Bankers have an oval shank, and are a shorter, stouter version of the Diplomat. Authors are a variation of bent apple and always have a round stem.
Thank you for the clarification; such a relief not to go around misrepresenting my shapes ;) .  I have always referred to the squat flat sitters as Authors.  Aristokles, it is a Royal Danish which is, of course, a Stanwell 2nd, or 3rd, or something.  Riff, my pipe is stamped Chadwick.

By whatever other name applies, them pipes are humdingers. I suspect that if there is a pipe in Plato's cave it's a 'dog/author/rhoddy or some variation on the theme. They just look perfectly designed for their purpose without unnecessary embellishment.

I also like Dublins, though that is partially explained by ancestry. The many variations I see on the simple Dublin shape offer many pleasant surprises to members of the Hibernian persuasion.

SpeedyPete":koukar2v said:
Now, I really need another 'dog.  Maybe I should just walk past our local B&M today and see if something jumps out. Can't do any harm, I guess.
Paid our local tobaconist a visit yesterday.  Found a beautiful Big Ben Super Grain bulldog for R700.00 (US$70). He has ordered a reamer for me and as soon as it arrives, I will go fetch it together with the pipe.

Will post picture

I received the pipe today, a Big Ben Supergrain 154 bulldog. It was pre-coated, which I hate.  So I took some time, paper kitchen towl and surgical spirits to get rid of the unwanted coating.  It was quite easy to clean the inside of the bowl to where I could see clear briar only. I then continued  cleaning the bowl, using brandy and some more kitchen towl.

The draw on this pipe is nice, soft and open and even better than on my Savinellis. I've filled the bowl halfway with Petersen Irish Whiskey and at this moment, I'm puffing away at it.  I can taste the briar and that's how I prefer it. No  odour or foul taste is present.  The pipe is quite light and it sits nicely between my teeth.

With this pipe in my collection, my 1 dozen bulldogs is full.

I'm a happy chappie

That is a great shape SpeedyPete, Supergrain indeed!

My Super Grain also showed up today and I'm thrilled. It is in magnificent shape, for a 70 year old pipe. I have it with me this weekend for a trip to Annapolis. I'll smoke it tomorrow at the Annapolis Smoke Shop, a wonderful shop of 50 years or so.

Idlefellow":kczwnk49 said:
sisyphus":kczwnk49 said:
Thank you for the clarification; such a relief not to go around misrepresenting my shapes ;) .  I have always referred to the squat flat sitters as Authors.  Aristokles, it is a Royal Danish which is, of course, a Stanwell 2nd, or 3rd, or something.  Riff, my pipe is stamped Chadwick.
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression based on Ebay listings in the past that the Royal Danish were fairly decent. Mine has a split shank on the underside (which is understandable given the thing flat shank) and, as one of my late father's favorite pipes I am torn as to whether to try and have it repaired. Nice smoker though, and so I might take a gamble.

riff raff":hif6micy said:
.........a wonderful shop of 50 years or so.

Thank you , my bro' :D 

I adore old pipes, I often wonder what they would be able to tell us if they could talk!!!!

So nice to visit a B&M with real pipers in charge.  Our local guys ask me the questions!  But they treat me nice because I don't mind teaching them ( Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble).