Authors and Bulldogs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the whim of the manufacturer. James Upshall calls all bent (and some straight) diamond shank pipes Rhodesians. There is no universally accepted definition of what constitutes a bulldog or Rhodesian.

I have one big problem to solve :?: 

I wanted 1 dozen Sav's and took my time to collect the ones I fancy. That has been done.

I also want 1 dozen bulldogs and at present I have 11.

My problem is I love Savinelli pipes a lot and if I buy another pipe, it will have to be a Savinelli bulldog. My dozen bulldogs will then be full but......I will own 13 Sav's. Which means I will have to buy yet ANOTHER Sav to have an even number of Sav's.

To make it even more complicated, I have 12 Sav's of which 6 are Punt Oro's. So if I buy another 2 Sav's, one will have to be a Punto Oro to even out on 7 and 7. But Punto Oro's are scarce and not easy to come by.

See my problem?

Now what should I do? Any suggestions, brothers of mine?

SpeedyPete":6ef7n5ku said:

I wanted 1 dozen Sav's and took my time to collect the ones I fancy.  That has been done.

My problem is I love Savinelli pipes a lot and if I  buy another pipe, it will have to be a Savinelli bulldog.  My dozen bulldogs will then be full but......I will own 13 Sav's.  Which means I will have to buy yet ANOTHER Sav to have an even number of Sav's.

To make it even more complicated, I have 12 Sav's of which 6 are Punt Oro's.  So if I buy another 2 Sav's, one will have to be a Punto Oro to even out on 7 and 7. But Punto Oro's are scarce and not easy to come by.

See my problem?

Now what should I do?  Any suggestions, brothers of mine?
OCD is a problem. Have you tried any counseling for this. :twisted: :twisted: As far as the pipes go, BUY THE DAMN PIPE :cheers: :cheers:  I have over 26 Bulldogs. If I liked a pipe and could afford it, I bought it :twisted:  :twisted: 

monbla256":xedlhbem said:
SpeedyPete":xedlhbem said:

I wanted 1 dozen Sav's and took my time to collect the ones I fancy.  That has been done.

My problem is I love Savinelli pipes a lot and if I  buy another pipe, it will have to be a Savinelli bulldog.  My dozen bulldogs will then be full but......I will own 13 Sav's.  Which means I will have to buy yet ANOTHER Sav to have an even number of Sav's.

To make it even more complicated, I have 12 Sav's of which 6 are Punt Oro's.  So if I buy another 2 Sav's, one will have to be a Punto Oro to even out on 7 and 7. But Punto Oro's are scarce and not easy to come by.

See my problem?

Now what should I do?  Any suggestions, brothers of mine?
OCD is a problem. Have you tried any counseling for this.  :twisted: :twisted: As far as the pipes go, BUY THE DAMN PIPE  :cheers: :cheers:  I have over 26 Bulldogs. If I liked a pipe and could afford it, I bought it  :twisted:  :twisted: 
Thank you, thank you so much. That's all I wanted to hear!!:lol: 

I had a look at some new Punto Oro pipes, locally and overseas. Average price is R1650 ($165). I paid R950 (shipping included) for a new, unsmoked PO about 2 months ago locally. Same dealer, Wesleys, now ask R1700 and more for those pipes.

I'm pepared to pay up to R1000, shipping included, for a nice estate and that's what I've paid for all my pipes up till now. Although I would love to have more Sav PO pipes I'm not prepared to pay more than that.

SpeedyPete":3u1bhc3u said:
BUY THE DAMN PIPE  :cheers: :cheers:  I have over 26 Bulldogs. If I liked a pipe and could afford it, I bought it  :twisted:  :twisted: 
What we have on this thread is BAD (Bulldog Acquisition Disorder) or RAD....

riff raff":80gpz8vt said:
Member "Harloock"had a great, ongoing thread here on Bulldogs & Rhodesians.  I dont think he has posted in a while.
That was a great thread with alot of pictures of some oustanding Bulldogs. To bad it looks like he's gone back and deleted all the photo's. Another Brother M.I.A..:(

Added two Bulldogs to the pound today.

This Comoys 331C Pebble Grain was delivered over the weekend.  I still have some work to do on them stem (two bite marks) but it went for under $30 and is in overall very nice shape.  It smokes like a dream.  

This Kaywoodie Super Grain 5183B was listed with a very low BIN and offer today.  I put in an even lower offer and it was accepted.  It's not perfect, but sold for a fraction of what pipes of this era and shape go for.  I've been watching for this shape for over a year.  The pipe was made in the 1930's.  More pix to come when it arrives and I do some work on it.

riff raff":3v2qth93 said:

This Comoys 331C Pebble Grain was delivered over the weekend.  I still have some work to do on them stem (two bite marks) but it went for under $30 and is in overall very nice shape.  It smokes like a dream.  

This Kaywoodie Super Grain 5183B was listed with a very low BIN and offer today.  I put in an even lower offer and it was accepted.  It's not perfect, but sold for a fraction of what pipes of this era and shape go for.  I've been watching for this shape for over a year.  The pipe was made in the 1930's.  More pix to come when it arrives and I do some work on it.

Looks like you to have it BAD :twisted:  :twisted:  Those look to be two NICE bulldoggies :twisted: 

riff raff":8c4r4y4u said:

You're on a roll Al!

That Kay looks pretty sweet to me, and looks like you got it for a song!

:cheers: 

Cheers,

RR

Brother Riff, those are two beauties in every sense of the word. I just love old pipes, for their character but also for their smoking ability. Older = better.

Now, I really need another 'dog. Maybe I should just walk past our local B&M today and see if something jumps out. Can't do any harm, I guess.

Fr_Tom":88fntuzb said:
I really like the Kaywoodie you got from Dave.
I didn't really know Dave, but he sent me a nice note. I might have to pick up his book!

riff raff":xqldy2ue said:
I didn't really know Dave, but he sent me a nice note.  I might have to pick up his book!
He seems to be a great guy. We have exchanged a few pm's/emails. He had posted that this pipe was for sale on the Kaywoodie forum, and I recognized it in the picture you posted. He had a Kaywoodie handmade that had burned through, and he fixed it with epoxy and pipe mud. He said he could never sell a pipe repaired like that but offered to give it to me. It is a great smoker.

riff raff":o6wayr6t said:

Now you need an 89B
$(KGrHqZHJEEFJ!uiJ6,4BSSf)Yz4Pw~~60_3.JPG

There is a 5189B on Ebay right now, with a low BIN.....
I am tapped, Ebay get thee behind me!

sisyphus":9mi4kpo3 said:
riff raff":9mi4kpo3 said:

Now you need an 89B
$(KGrHqZHJEEFJ!uiJ6,4BSSf)Yz4Pw~~60_3.JPG

I'll bite. Normally I'm not a fan of Italian pipes. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't care for the Italian spin on the English shapes, and I don't like acrylic. There are a couple of exceptions for me, and one of them is the Sav 320. This is just a really good pipe that pays homage to the classic Author while being its own original thing.

The trick with the Sav is you could buy a 320 in any of a dozen or more Savinelli series, and you'd end up with an inexpensive, mass produced pipe that feels and smokes like a competent, but inexpensive and mass produced pipe.

However if you pony up about $30-40 more and find yourself a sandblast Punto Oro, you'll end up with a pipe that is finished as well as pipes costing 3x as much with a quality ebonite stem that also holds up against pipes costing much more. There is a big difference between a Punto Oro and the lines below it, and it's worth the extra expense. I had a 320 in a cheaper series and didn't keep it for the above reasons, but I liked the shape so much that when I found a Punto Oro 320 I grabbed it, and it's a pipe I'll keep for life.

sisyphus":kss1nwzh said:
s a big difference between a Punto Oro and the lines below it, and it's worth the extra expense. I had a 320 in a cheaper series and didn't keep it for the above reasons, but I liked the shape so much that when I found a Punto Oro 320 I grabbed it, and it's a pipe I'll keep for life.
I have both a  Punto Oro and  Trevi 320ks.  Both are excellent+  smokers.  I paid US $52.00 for the Trevi about 18 months ago from Smokingpipes.com.  Right from the first smoke I realized that I've bought one wonderful pipe.  It smokes so dry, it seems impossible to be true.  I've smoked it right down to the bottom on numerous occasions after which I could simply knock it in the palm of my hand to get rid of the ash that was left. The bottom of the bowl stays dry as cork.  This is one amazing pipe, maybe a once in a lifetime kind of thing?

No, _all_ Savs are good smokers. The difference between a Punto Oro and the lower series is quality of finish and stem work.