Backpacking With Pipe & Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramatwist

Reaction score
My backpacking days are pretty much over, but I still use my "mountain axe" for a walking stick! How did you folks deal with pipes and tobacco when you were hiking, camping, backpacking, hunting, fishing, etc?

I always carry a pipe and tobacco backpacking. I would put my tobacco in a ziploc and place it in a leather roll pouch. I took a Peterson System 303 often because I could carry it with the stem removed and I didn't have to take pipe cleaners. I'd remove the stem and roll them both in the tobacco pouch with the tobacco. Then, I'd roll the pouch up in a shirt that I wasn't wearing at the time. I'd pack that on top inside my pack so I could get to it easily but still protected from the weather.

Back when I was more able bodied I would go primitive winter camping. If it wasn't available before 1840 it didn't go. I carried a clay pipe a twist of tobacco a sharp knife and very small cutting board in my shooting bag. Never had a problem with damage or loss. But then the things in that bag under those conditions were the difference between being comfortable or absolutely miserable. All my fire starting equipment was in there too. Two wool blankets and a waterproof tarp a cup, and a small pot plus my long rifle and I was good for a week or better.

Jim

huffelpuff":orrvk2nm said:
Back when I was more able bodied I would go primitive winter camping. If it wasn't available before 1840 it didn't go. I carried a clay pipe a twist of tobacco a sharp knife and very small cutting board in my shooting bag. Never had a problem with damage or loss. But then the things in that bag under those conditions were the difference between being comfortable or absolutely miserable. All my fire starting equipment was in there too. Two wool blankets and a waterproof tarp a cup, and a small pot plus my long rifle and I was good for a week or better.

Jim
Nice, Jim!

Best,

Always carried a pipe when backpacking (it's been a while), and I normally carry one when hiking. Tobacco in a ziplock. Pipe in two pieces with rubberband. Tamper, a couple cleaners, and lighter with rubberband. All in the lid of whatever backpack I'm carrying, or in the case of hiking, I usually use a large hip pack with a partition for smaller items. I carry an old Dunhill cripple shell that is a top shelf smoker. It's smaller and very light. I'm not one of these newfangled ultralighters, but I also don't carry anything adding unnecessary weight. leather pouches and pipe bags are left at home.

Fr_Tom":x0fnkkbp said:
Wayne_Teipen":x0fnkkbp said:
I took a Peterson System 303 often because I could carry it with the stem removed and I didn't have to take pipe cleaners.  
I have a system 302. I have been using pipe cleaners unnecessarily?
Not at all. You should use pipe cleaners when you can. The sump just keeps the pipe from gurgling during the smoke then I could flick the moisture out of the sump afterwards. Once I got off the trail I could clean the sump and airway out. It's not a nice way to treat your pipe but pipe cleaners are a pain on the trail, IMHO. My 303 wouldn't pass one anyway. A cob makes more sense on the trail but I like briar.

I got my first "good" pipe to have something to enjoy in camp after a long day on the trail. During the trek the stem turned green so I took it back. The old guy at the shop sent me off with a black stem, a tube of Dunhill stem restorative and a borrowed shop copy of The Ultimate Pipe Book. I credit that book with starting my love for collecting pipes. That tube of stem restorative put Dunhill on my radar and on the next leg of that trip brought me to a Dunhill shop where with a few key questions the salesman introduced me to the first pipe tobacco that didn't burn my mouth or make me sick, bulk EMP.  :shock:

I did a little "backpacking" when I got back from 'Nam in the early 70's and I had a leather two pipe case/pouch w/zipper closure. I'd put two pipes, usually a couple of BBB or GBD pots and fill the pouch part w/759 and put 'em in the top flap pocket of the pack. had a packet of reem-n-kleen  clnrs. in a shirt pocket and a box of wooden matches in the pocket as well as my trusty pipe nail and sally'd  forth into the wilderness !! Worked well for me, but I was one of that generation that did not know really "how to do it" as they do these days ! Amazing we were even able to get this far in life without all the "knowledge" we've gained thru the web. We just KISS'd it  :twisted:   :twisted:

'Twist, talk to Hawker about leather pipe plugs. You can also consider wind caps.

As for the bac, it sorta depends on how you like and how long you're gone. The ziploc approach is preferred for simplicity, but doesn't always keep the smells and moisture in the bag. YMMV, but why burden yourself further with a mason jar unless you're only gone for the afternoon or something?

Zeno Marx":r1iq3ws7 said:
Always carried a pipe when backpacking (it's been a while), and I normally carry one when hiking.  Tobacco in a ziplock.  Pipe in two pieces with rubberband.  Tamper, a couple cleaners, and lighter with rubberband.  All in the lid of whatever backpack I'm carrying, or in the case of hiking, I usually use a large hip pack with a partition for smaller items.  I carry an old Dunhill cripple shell that is a top shelf smoker.  It's smaller and very light.  I'm not one of these newfangled ultralighters, but I also don't carry anything adding unnecessary weight.  leather pouches and pipe bags are left at home.
Appreciate the detailed information.

Many Thanks,

Dramatwist":4l6d3hu0 said:
Zeno Marx":4l6d3hu0 said:
Always carried a pipe when backpacking (it's been a while), and I normally carry one when hiking.  Tobacco in a ziplock.  Pipe in two pieces with rubberband.  Tamper, a couple cleaners, and lighter with rubberband.  All in the lid of whatever backpack I'm carrying, or in the case of hiking, I usually use a large hip pack with a partition for smaller items.  I carry an old Dunhill cripple shell that is a top shelf smoker.  It's smaller and very light.  I'm not one of these newfangled ultralighters, but I also don't carry anything adding unnecessary weight.  leather pouches and pipe bags are left at home.
Appreciate the detailed information.

Many Thanks,
You are welcome. I did a lot of backpacking all over the USA in the 90s, and it was a really nice luxury to have a smoke at the end of the day. I'd say the same for snowshoeing and winter camping. *I'd double ziplock the tobacco if I was out more than a weekend.

I can't "hike" but I do still walk in the woods. I just take a tobacco that does not require any special prep...no babying...just stuff and puff.

Iwan Ries International is a good baccy if you like a "cross over" blend. A lot of latakia but still some sweetness there. Carter Hall or Prince Albert work well if you like something predominately burley. I also like Dunhill 965. If I want sweet that day I take some Blue Note along.

I generally take a pipe that won't cause me to break out in sobs if I break it or lose it.
Cobs are good great. Petes are good choices too if they have the military mount or the push bits like on the 301, 302, 305 etc...
I have a couple of pipe holsters that go on the belt and are pretty good at keeping a pipe safe but I generally take the pipe apart and drop the two pieces into a pocket.