Backpacking with pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't want to start a war or anything, but I wonder how long it will be before all national parks have signs that prohibit smoking just like they prohibit firearms? :scratch:

Centurian 803":9dx7ogj5 said:
Don't want to start a war or anything, but I wonder how long it will be before all national parks have signs that prohibit smoking just like they prohibit firearms? :scratch:
Yeah, they opened it up some under the Bush administration. In Indiana, all state parks allow carry now. But the national parks are still up to the states I *think*.

I went on a short hike with the family this weekend on Mt. Jefferson. We did about 2 miles. My 3-year old did well and I only had to carry him up on my shoulders one stretch for about 5-minutes.

We stopped at the top and sat on an overlook and I packed a short bowl and enjoyed a good smoke of Trout Stream in a Mike Brissett. The cool clean air made it nice. I had simply packed the pipe in a hiking day pack inside a 2-pipe bag. Nothing fancy. I'm looking forward to the fall when I have an overnight backpack/hike coming up.

HP, I've been packing my pipes on backpacking and canoe/pack trips for years. If you're day hiking, weight isn't nearly the concern, but when you're going in for a week or more with no resupply, every fraction of an ounce becomes important. For either, I always take my older, less valuable pipes, as accidents and losses can happen. I once had my best Danish Freehand gnawed to sawdust by a porcupine when I left it out over night. I also carry and use one of those spring-loaded screens that fits over the bowl to prevent and embers from blowing out.

If day hiking, I'll fill up the bowl, put the screen on, and stuff in a small ziplock and she's ready to go. If going into the woods for an extended trip, I usually carry one, light pipe and my Kirsten with two or three bowls. They can be loaded in the morning and kept in the little Tupperware containers until needed. The whole thing breaks down pretty small (that's a 5" cigar in front for reference), are easy to clean, and rugged as hell. That particular Lancer body has been used as my woods/canoe pipe for over 20 years and other than being a bit warn on the bottom, is good as new. The trick is, have Mike Brissitt carve you a custom bowl that fits perfectly in the Tupperware container.

The second pix has the Kirsten body, two bowls in containers (already filled), a mini-Bic, three pipe cleaners, and four snack-size Ziplocks each with two bowls worth of different tobaccos. So for well under 6 ounces I have ten bowls of tobacco to smoke in a package about 1 1/2" in diameter and 5" long.

But if you're not into Kirstens, any of your older, lighter pipes with the screen top will do. It does become a bit more difficult to dry them out between smokes, however, especially if you're moving every day and you hit a weeks straight rain. For a week or two, snack sized Ziplocs seem to work well for me.

Natch

The trip this fall will be a day's hike in, setting up shop for a few days to fish and day hike, then hiking back out.

I'll probably take Ol' Cobby and one of my nicer pipes. The cobby for hiking and fishing. The nicer pipe for sitting around the fire in the evenings.

And a wide variety of tobaccos for SURE! Between my buddy and I I'll bet we bring 20 varieties.

The screen is a good idea, but we're going in the thick woods which doesn't usually get windy, so I'll have to think about it.

My main concern was presenting an enticing treat for furry annoyances like black bears. "Shoo! Shoo! Away from my tobacco!"