Baker's 7 year 107 proof Bourbon?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
Anyone tried this stuff? What do you think?

Apparently it's made by Jim Beam. 107 proof, aged 7 years in oak casks and all that fancy stuff. I just picked up a bottle of it at the liquor store since they were giving out samples and I gotta say I am lovin' it.

My drink is generally a manhattan and this stuff makes a darn good one, but even straight it is ridiculously smooth and sweet.

Not really cheap, but definately worth the $35 for my tastes.

I had it once and thought it was fantastic. It's been a while but I remembering it being a little more bold than most. I think it's one of the better of the "top shelf" ones made by Jim Beam, I certainly thought it was better than Basil Hayden's (which I found to be a little bland although amazingly smooth).

Some of my other favorites when I'm going beyond the normal Beam or 101 are Elijah Craig (18yr or 12yr), Four Roses (Single Barrel or Small Batch), and Wild Turkey Rare Breed (their awesome Barrel Proof offering).

I also love a good Manhattan. It always gets me when a waiter or bartender asks if you want it "up." If it has ice in it, it's not a Manhattan! :scratch:

I haven't had any of the other top shelf stuff from beam, I usually just go with a beam or makers mark manhattan if I'm out and tend to nurse one drink all night. This stuff may have spoiled me though.

I tend to be a bit of a lightweight and only have 3-4 drinks a month, but last night I made two manhattans and had two fingers of the stuff straight it was so darn good. Needless to say I was rather annoyed at having to navigate the staircase when it came time for bed :lol: :cheers:

I normally drink 'everyday bourbon' too (although not every day) but it is nice to try the small batch stuff once in a while. The money has a lot to do with it, but there's something nice about regular old Jim Beam that just "feels right" for lack of any way to describe it. I went on a few bourbon odysseys a while ago and tried everything I could get my mitts on. I would try to keep maybe 2 or 3 bottles of nice stuff and one or two everyday bottles on hand, but somehow it would all just disappear. :lol: I would say, though, if you like Beam you must try the Rye and Black offerings, both are very tasty and good values. The Elijah Craig 12 year is also a tremendous value at maybe $20-25.

Not a fan of Beam products. I have nothing against the company or anything about them. It's a consistent response I have to their drinks. That's all. I also find that 100+ proof spirits to be very difficult for distillers to pull off. They lose something in that extra alcohol content, and they rarely gain anything in the trade-off. I didn't really care for Baker's. I'd spend that money elsewhere.

Booker's is another from the makers of Basil Hayden, Knob Creek etc. It's expensive and 126 proof or so - but it it so good. I don't have a lot of cash, but I buy a bottle every year of two and have a small glass every now and then as a tr eat - it's great. For more quotidian drinking I go for Bulliet or Knob Creek - if I'm drinking Irish I usually get Red Breast.

Giving out samples??? Like in a grocery store where some old lady gives out samples of smoked sausage? Free samples of booze???

Damn, this living in a dry county is a bit of a bummer.

Natch