Balkan / English / Sublime Tobaccos to Order?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has a good flavor and room note, but burned to such a fine ash, it constantly clogged my draw holes, on numerous pipe shapes. I'm not use to using a pipe cleaner to clean while smoking, that was very bothersome to me. I took it with me to the NYC Pipe Club meeting and the guys that tried it there didn't complain. One guy offered to buy the tin from me, so I sold it to that grateful fellow.
Nonsailor":276d45i9 said:
riff raff":276d45i9 said:
+1 on the Meridian.
If you shop at Park Lane, try some Connoisseurs Flake.
Boswells Magnum is my favorite light English.
I have a tin of Sanseini but haven't opened it yet. I was so-so on the sister Sobranie.
The Boswell Magnum looks good. Funny name for a lighter blend, innit? I'll put this one on the list.

If you don't mind my asking, I'm curious: what didn't you like about Sobranie?

roogles":vgwjao3a said:
Nonsailor":vgwjao3a said:
Yeah! Now we're getting somewhere! Indexing and cross-referencing! :cheers:

I've been using Evernote to keep track of pipes, tobacco, techniques, tastes, a list of things to try, etc. Each tobacco I'm smoking has its own note and I add observations. It's a cool program because it runs on Android as well as PC, does web clipping, and supports tagging, so I can sit on the porch and type on my phone while smoking (writing about smoking while smoking). In a notebook, I keep a dated list of what I smoke and in which pipe and add a couple of words on how it was. I anticipate moving toward a spreadsheet in the future, but I'm very fond of fountain pens.

Your idea of color-coding seems a terrific idea. /hadntthoughtofthat

I seriously think that the bookkeeping qualities of pipe smoking is part of what I enjoy about it. As you note, there's so much out there that some rationale is necessary to keep track. Thanks for sharing your research and notekeeping.
Continuing along this thread might be considered thread derailment (or hijacking) - but I had to pipe up here.

<geek>
I'm a HUGE note taker, love writing, and echo that I am very fond of fountain pens. I burn through moleskine notebooks and Pilot varsity disposable fountain pens way faster then I burn through pipe tobacco. I find writing and note taking relaxing, cathartic, and often have often been accused that I use note-taking as a coping mechanism (pffff).

My brother got me a really cool leather journal for Christmas, as well as a large box of disposable fountain pens and I've decided to make it my pipe and tobacco journal. I'm taking notes on what I smoke, tastes, thoughts about packing, lighting, etc. Hoping that it will be a good resource as I learn about and try more tobacco.

Just since early December I took the time to catalog my small pipe collection, make notes about where they came from, how they smoke, what I like/don't like about them, etc... I'm keeping that in the back part of this same notebook.

This aspect of pipe smoking - the note taking, research, almost scientific aspect of it - has huge appeal for me.
</geek>
Derailment? Hijacking? Perish the thought. Let's call it a pleasant digression.

If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to step up from disposable fountains to refillable ones. The Lamy Safari line is very affordable (around $30) and offers a fine writing experience. While they're sold with cartridges, they convert readily to refill. A Safari, the refill thingie, and a bottle of Noodler's and you're set for the price of a used Peterson. Don't get me wrong, I like the Pilot Varsity pens, but there's just no comparison. Especially if you're writing on that nice Moleskine paper.

I think the note taking is the Robinson Crusoe aspect of pipe smoking, rather than the Sherlock Holmes part. Crusoe was quite the book-keeper.

riff raff":tccqx71z said:
It has a good flavor and room note, but burned to such a fine ash, it constantly clogged my draw holes, on numerous pipe shapes. I'm not use to using a pipe cleaner to clean while smoking, that was very bothersome to me. I took it with me to the NYC Pipe Club meeting and the guys that tried it there didn't complain. One guy offered to buy the tin from me, so I sold it to that grateful fellow.
Nonsailor":tccqx71z said:
riff raff":tccqx71z said:
+1 on the Meridian.
If you shop at Park Lane, try some Connoisseurs Flake.
Boswells Magnum is my favorite light English.
I have a tin of Sanseini but haven't opened it yet. I was so-so on the sister Sobranie.
The Boswell Magnum looks good. Funny name for a lighter blend, innit? I'll put this one on the list.

If you don't mind my asking, I'm curious: what didn't you like about Sobranie?
Veeery interesting. I'll make a note of it. This was, I figure, the reissue? Do tell when you try sister Sasieni--I wonder if it has the same qualities....

If you have never tried Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, I would recommend that you do. I have about 20 ounces of this stuff and it was my goto tobacco before I got in some older blends. It'll be revived once I run out of those. It is a mild Balkan, but extremely well balanced. I would also recommend McClelland's Blue Mountain. It is quite exquisite as well. There are two great Balkan's for you. A great aromatic is Just For Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms. It is a Latakia/Cavendish blend. Love it! I have about 16 ounces of it lying about. Lastly, I'd recomend Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader if you are ever able to obtain any. I have three tins aging away and a dried out tin that needs to be rehydrated.

Those are the available tobaccos that I would highly recommend, but the blend that sticks out the most to me is GL Pease's Mephisto. There is just something about that blend that leaves me never wanting more. It is perfectly blended and balances out like no other. The Syrian has taken a backseat due to age, but it is still erupts much like a backseat driver would every now and then. A beautiful composition.

My Sobranie was the reissue. John Hayes in VA had a dozen or so tins, I probably should have bought more for swapping.

Nonsailor":ibkp0foe said:

If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to step up from disposable fountains to refillable ones. The Lamy Safari line is very affordable (around $30) and offers a fine writing experience. While they're sold with cartridges, they convert readily to refill. A Safari, the refill thingie, and a bottle of Noodler's and you're set for the price of a used Peterson. Don't get me wrong, I like the Pilot Varsity pens, but there's just no comparison. Especially if you're writing on that nice Moleskine paper.

I think the note taking is the Robinson Crusoe aspect of pipe smoking, rather than the Sherlock Holmes part. Crusoe was quite the book-keeper.
I tried out a variety of fountain pens at a Paradise Pen in Columbus one time, and really like the Cross Apoge line of fountain pens but have never picked one up due to the cost and the likelihood that I would "misplace" it. I've looked up the Lamy Safari pens, and it seems that Paradise in Columbus does carry them. I'm planning to be up that way on Friday, so I will stop and try one out.

Thank you!

McClelland's Bombay Extra. It's Bombay Court with a touch of perique. This stuff is probably my all time favorite English, to date. I've been through a few tins of this stuff and I never get tired of it.

It's rich, sweet, just a little spicy, complex, and under appreciated, which means that it's easy to find. :)

If you're having problems dealing with any degree of nicotine, you night want to be careful with our BlackHouse as it contains some dark-fired Kentucky which was a necessary ingredient to get the flavor as close as possible to the old Balkan Sobranie 759. If you want a similar flavor without the higher nicotine content, we have another blend called Magnum Opus that contains no Burley and has a more moderate nic level.

Russ

joshoowah":re85q58b said:
If you have never tried Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, I would recommend that you do. I have about 20 ounces of this stuff and it was my goto tobacco before I got in some older blends. It'll be revived once I run out of those. It is a mild Balkan, but extremely well balanced. I would also recommend McClelland's Blue Mountain. It is quite exquisite as well. There are two great Balkan's for you. A great aromatic is Just For Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms. It is a Latakia/Cavendish blend. Love it! I have about 16 ounces of it lying about. Lastly, I'd recomend Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader if you are ever able to obtain any. I have three tins aging away and a dried out tin that needs to be rehydrated.

Those are the available tobaccos that I would highly recommend, but the blend that sticks out the most to me is GL Pease's Mephisto. There is just something about that blend that leaves me never wanting more. It is perfectly blended and balances out like no other. The Syrian has taken a backseat due to age, but it is still erupts much like a backseat driver would every now and then. A beautiful composition.
Thanks for the mild Balkan recs--those are new to me. As well, the aromatics are nice because I can smoke them in the house (a pleasant break from the cold). Squadron Leader is on the wish list. Mephisto is another new one. I really enjoyed reading your descriptions--thanks so much.

UberHuberMan":gnwu4npj said:
McClelland's Bombay Extra. It's Bombay Court with a touch of perique. This stuff is probably my all time favorite English, to date. I've been through a few tins of this stuff and I never get tired of it.

It's rich, sweet, just a little spicy, complex, and under appreciated, which means that it's easy to find. :)
Cool. I enjoy McClelland's Frog Morton, so I'd be happy to try more of their blends.

blendtobac":y4s91t2x said:
If you're having problems dealing with any degree of nicotine, you night want to be careful with our BlackHouse as it contains some dark-fired Kentucky which was a necessary ingredient to get the flavor as close as possible to the old Balkan Sobranie 759. If you want a similar flavor without the higher nicotine content, we have another blend called Magnum Opus that contains no Burley and has a more moderate nic level.

Russ
Thanks for the warning. Perhaps I'll put Magnum Opus in front of BlackHouse in the queue. Or, more likely, get both and let BlackHouse age while I smoke Magnum Opus. The siren song of "as close as possible to the old Balkan Sobranie 759" draws me in.... I appreciate the insights into your blends.

roogles":rnqlg8xc said:
Nonsailor":rnqlg8xc said:

I tried out a variety of fountain pens at a Paradise Pen in Columbus one time, and really like the Cross Apoge line of fountain pens but have never picked one up due to the cost and the likelihood that I would "misplace" it. I've looked up the Lamy Safari pens, and it seems that Paradise in Columbus does carry them. I'm planning to be up that way on Friday, so I will stop and try one out.

Thank you!
Cool -- I hope you find one that works for you!

non - are you near Boston? We could have met at Peretti's this week so you could check out their magnificent Latakia blends. Smith's Own is robust and worth paying the onerous 20% Mass tax, and they have quite a few others. You can sample them right out of their big jars before you decide what to buy.

No one has mentioned P&C's Larry's Blend in this thread, and it is my #1 favorite out of the 800+ blends I have on hand. GLP Westminster, DH 965 and many others are close, but LB rules.

hp
les

lestrout":dwm98bxd said:
No one has mentioned P&C's Larry's Blend in this thread, and it is my #1 favorite out of the 800+ blends I have on hand. GLP Westminster, DH 965 and many others are close, but LB rules.

hp
les
Ah, thanks Les. I work near P&C occasionally and will have to try some Larry's Blend.
Added to my phone list, I can never remember these names without notes to review in the store.

Take all assessments of strength with a grain of salt.

Including this one.

Reducing the whole tobacco issue to "nicotine" is the same kind of simplistic nonsense that reducing the green herb to "tetrahydrocannibinol" is. There are hundreds of complex organic compounds involved and they're interacting in unfathomable ways. Not just one "active ingredient."

On this end, GLP's Embarcadero is so light in strength it's almost weightless -- a great all-day smoke. Other people find it taxes their limits.

By the same token, I've never seen anyone describe GLP's Laurel Heights as being particularly strong, but it kicks my butt. Very thoroughly. Every time. Even in small doses. Yet I used to roll Cutty Pipe, Weyman's & Five Brothers cigarettes -- no problem. Go figure.

Whatever's involved, there's more to it than just Vitamin "N."

:face:

Yak":e097m25w said:
Reducing the whole tobacco issue to "nicotine" is the same kind of simplistic nonsense that reducing the green herb to "tetrahydrocannibinol" is. There are hundreds of complex organic compounds involved and they're interacting in unfathomable ways. Not just one "active ingredient."

Whatever's involved, there's more to it than just Vitamin "N."

:face:
Word. Burley can really get me. Virginias seem "medium" to me. English blends are a mix.

Personal body chemistry can have a lot to do with it, too, even day-to-day. More or less stress, what you ate (or didn't eat), sleep, what time... all factor in, at least for me. Many, many variables.

Kyle Weiss":7hencr5d said:
Word. Burley can really get me. Virginias seem "medium" to me. English blends are a mix.

Personal body chemistry can have a lot to do with it, too, even day-to-day. More or less stress, what you ate (or didn't eat), sleep, what time... all factor in, at least for me. Many, many variables.
Yak is onto something. I've yet to try a Burley that has any effect on me whatsoever. SG Brown #4 and Peterson Old Dublin are two that literally made me ill.

SG Brown #4 is the strongest blend they make; it's also one of the strongest blends made by anyone.

Where did you hear it is a Burley blend? I've never found any information on its elements.

alfredo_buscatti":7jylmmgm said:
SG Brown #4 is the strongest blend they make; it's also one of the strongest blends made by anyone.

Where did you hear it is a Burley blend? I've never found any information on its elements.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply SG Brown was burley, I just didn't properly conclude my statement that burley blends don't seem to any nicotine impact on my at all. The SG Brown was the first tin I purchased, asking the tobacconist for a strong blend. It is definitely all that and more!

If you're looking for stronger-very strong burleys, OJK is up a notch from most blends, University Flake up another, 5 Brothers and Irish Flake yet another, and the strongest is C&D Bow-Legged Bear. I haven't smoked enough of the Bear to describe it well, and I'm also not sure that it's the burley in it that gives the strength, but the burley is strong enough to taste as one of the blend's major players, along with the latakia and VA. I can safely say that the burley is easily tastable and that something named or unnamed in the blend description is quite strong.