Balkan / English / Sublime Tobaccos to Order?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lestrout":hrxs26zx said:
non - are you near Boston? We could have met at Peretti's this week so you could check out their magnificent Latakia blends. Smith's Own is robust and worth paying the onerous 20% Mass tax, and they have quite a few others. You can sample them right out of their big jars before you decide what to buy.

No one has mentioned P&C's Larry's Blend in this thread, and it is my #1 favorite out of the 800+ blends I have on hand. GLP Westminster, DH 965 and many others are close, but LB rules.

hp
les
Hi, Les -- I'm over an hour from Boston, which I'd call close. Next time I'm down there, I hope to drop by Peretti's. I'd read about it, but now I'm really enthused to read about their Latakia blends.

Larry's Blend is on the "must buy" list. Sounds wonderful.

Curious, though--thoughts on the current DH 965? I just haven't been able to make good friends with it yet. Seems... flavorless compared to something like EMP, let alone Frog Morton. I must be doing something wrong with it.

Yak":n75pkvqw said:
Take all assessments of strength with a grain of salt.

Including this one.

Reducing the whole tobacco issue to "nicotine" is the same kind of simplistic nonsense that reducing the green herb to "tetrahydrocannibinol" is. There are hundreds of complex organic compounds involved and they're interacting in unfathomable ways. Not just one "active ingredient."

On this end, GLP's Embarcadero is so light in strength it's almost weightless -- a great all-day smoke. Other people find it taxes their limits.

By the same token, I've never seen anyone describe GLP's Laurel Heights as being particularly strong, but it kicks my butt. Very thoroughly. Every time. Even in small doses. Yet I used to roll Cutty Pipe, Weyman's & Five Brothers cigarettes -- no problem. Go figure.

Whatever's involved, there's more to it than just Vitamin "N."

:face:
Agreed. One reason I can spend multiple days with a smoke like University Flake is that it burns slow and cool and has a remarkable array of flavors--a third of a bowl can last me over half an hour. Might be imagining things, but it seems that the more "upscale" tobaccos burn a lot slower than the OTC stuff I've tried (PA, CH, CB). So, I'll take my time with University Flake, whereas I'd finish a bowl of, say, PA in the same amount of time. Is the nicotine quantity similar between 1/3 a bowl of UF and a full bowl of PA? I have no idea. Do I puff one more vigorously because it's milder? Not sure. But, in the same amount of time, I'll smoke a lot more of one than the other.

I've never been able to smoke a cigarette not designated "light" or "mild" without feeling ill. A few puff on an American Spirit full and I'm on the floor. Nothing remotely like that from any pipe tobacco I've yet tried. I tend to feel sated before I feel dizzy.

That's my impressionistic take on relative tobacco strength. I'm not much of a scientist. :)

I don't think that one tobacco burns faster than another, but I know that the cut very much influences burn rate. How are you smoking University Flake? Are you merely folding and stuffing it, are you worrying the flake a bit to loosen the strands or are you rubbing it out? Of a piece or worried apart a bit flake smokes much slower; and even a rubbed out flake will still burn slower than cut tobacco of the same size as the flake is not entirely rubbed out; there are multiple strands holding together.

Yes, cut tobacco does burn faster, but that's not because it's cheap but because of the cut. When I smoke cut tobacco I do so in the group 6 or ODA sizes. With a big bowl I get an hour to 1.5 hour smoke.

As regards strength from cigarettes flooring you, I think this is because the influx of nicotine and toxins into your system is so much faster through the capillaries of the lungs. Smoking the pipe it enters through the mucous lining of your mouth, but not as quickly.

alfredo_buscatti":ljtkmwj6 said:
I don't think that one tobacco burns faster than another, but I know that the cut very much influences burn rate. How are you smoking University Flake? Are you merely folding and stuffing it, are you worrying the flake a bit to loosen the strands or are you rubbing it out? Of a piece or worried apart a bit flake smokes much slower; and even a rubbed out flake will still burn slower than cut tobacco of the same size as the flake is not entirely rubbed out; there are multiple strands holding together.

Yes, cut tobacco does burn faster, but that's not because it's cheap but because of the cut. When I smoke cut tobacco I do so in the group 6 or ODA sizes. With a big bowl I get an hour to 1.5 hour smoke.

As regards strength from cigarettes flooring you, I think this is because the influx of nicotine and toxins into your system is so much faster through the capillaries of the lungs. Smoking the pipe it enters through the mucous lining of your mouth, but not as quickly.
That's all very helpful to know. Yeah, I didn't figure that one tobacco would burn more quickly than the other, but the notion that the cut makes the difference makes sense to me. As well, it's probably down to how I'm smoking it. Or that I tend to save the expensive stuff for when I want to focus on the pipe and know I have the time to sit with it.

I've tried both the fold/stuff and rubbing with UF and had good results either way. There's something pleasurable in the almost chewing gum-like simplicity of fold and stuff method. But, I've had the happiest smoke with UF rubbed out and rolled into a ball with my Peterson 312-- I could really get the plummy nose of the tobacco and it smoked slowly and coolly throughout. The burley nuttiness would kick in on relights.

Yak":ac6bp5ur said:
Take all assessments of strength with a grain of salt.

Including this one.

Reducing the whole tobacco issue to "nicotine" is the same kind of simplistic nonsense that reducing the green herb to "tetrahydrocannibinol" is. There are hundreds of complex organic compounds involved and they're interacting in unfathomable ways. Not just one "active ingredient."

On this end, GLP's Embarcadero is so light in strength it's almost weightless -- a great all-day smoke. Other people find it taxes their limits.

By the same token, I've never seen anyone describe GLP's Laurel Heights as being particularly strong, but it kicks my butt. Very thoroughly. Every time. Even in small doses. Yet I used to roll Cutty Pipe, Weyman's & Five Brothers cigarettes -- no problem. Go figure.

Whatever's involved, there's more to it than just Vitamin "N."

:face:
It's a complex dance. Nicotine content of the leaf, pH of the smoke, pH of the smoker's mouth, what you've eaten, what you're drinking, all play a role in the nicotine delivery/absorption. There are tobaccos that some people smoke all day that put me in a catatonic stupor within seconds, and I smoke things that would render them unconscious. Tongue bite seems similarly smoker-dependent. Some stuff that others say is smoother than a black velvet painting of Perry Como is like sucking on the business end of an oxyacetylene torch to me.

Surprisingly, I think the pipe itself may also have something to do with things. There are pipes in my collection that just feel like they deliver more nicotine. No matter how mild the tobacco, I've got to be careful when smoking them to avoid the spins. That one has always puzzled me a bit. (I do have some theories, but that's for another time.)

perry_como_show%255B1%255D.jpg

I've sworn some pipes have enhanced the delivery of nicotine more than others, too. Glad I'm not the only one, or was simply under the influence of said theory to begin with. :drunken:

I smoke American Spirit maroon and gold, and although they make my head spin, I like that.

I've never smoked such a full-flavored full-strength cigarette. The taste is markedly sweet and makes me think that it has a good bit of dark-fired KY and easily outshines Camel or Pall Mall unfiltereds. The only other cigarette that compares is Nat Sherman Cigaretellos.

Everyone's suggestions were terrific. I appreciate all the knowledge and thoughtfulness that went into the suggestions. In the end, I needed to narrow down the list to make an affordable order from P&C. So, I've gone with:

Hearth & Home Marquee Magnum Opus (2oz. tin) -- per Russ's suggestion that the BlackHouse might be a bit much
McClelland Blue Mountain Pipe Tobacco (50g) -- back and forth between this and the Bombay Extra, but I went with their Sobranie remake
GL Pease Abingdon [2oz tin]
GL Pease Blackpoint [2oz tin]
GL Pease Lagonda [2oz tin]
GL Pease Meridian [2oz tin] -- Yeah, I don't even know which GLP I'll open first.
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding (2oz tin)
Balkan Sasieni (50g tin) -- it's $7, which is cheaper than Captain Black. If it's any good, huzzah!

Again, thanks for the recommendations. I've got quite a "to-buy" list and will be working my way through everyone's suggestions eventually.

I'm so stoked for you! You orderd Blue Mountain AND Plum Pudding!

joshoowah":yxh5lcdb said:
I'm so stoked for you! You orderd Blue Mountain AND Plum Pudding!
Great suggestions, man. I can't wait to try them!

I'm smoking some GLP Meridian now. I didn't like it at first, but now I've come to really enjoy the spicy flavor. It seems to smoke better in my larger pipes with very open draws, maybe gives the tobacco some time to develop some character? (KKKK Castello at the moment)

riff raff":u2yhq2t3 said:
I'm smoking some GLP Meridian now. I didn't like it at first, but now I've come to really enjoy the spicy flavor. It seems to smoke better in my larger pipes with very open draws, maybe gives the tobacco some time to develop some character? (KKKK Castello at the moment)
That's a nice pipe. Largest I've got is a Peterson 999 and it does really well with Frog Morton and MM 965.

Inevitably, this tobacco purchase will lead to PAD, won't it? :idea:

Im a latakia nut as well!!! I think you will satisfied with the sobranie remake (the $7 tin version) I bought a tin smoked a bowl went out and purchased 4 more tins...

Also may i suggest McClellands British Woods... I have a 6 year old tin that i first purchased when i started pipe 6 months ago it was loaded with Lat and very nice macedonian orientals.. about a quarter way through the bowl i get a "creamy chocolate" taste and it wont bite or grab your tongue a bit.

My 2 cents worth..
Cheers
Mike

Nonsailor":e05y219u said:
That's a nice pipe. Largest I've got is a Peterson 999 and it does really well with Frog Morton and MM 965.

Inevitably, this tobacco purchase will lead to PAD, won't it? :idea:
I never thought about it that way, but now that you mention it.....

How do you like that MM 965? I picked up a tin today at Boswells, but couldn't recall the reviews, so I put it back down ($12). I'm going back up on Saturday. I'm reading "Confessions of Pipeman" and he mentions the 965 over and over, but says it is no longer being made (the book is from '08). It was a must have by his description, but I don't know if this is the same?

riff raff said:
Nonsailor":7fcmdcyt said:
How do you like that MM 965? I picked up a tin today at Boswells, but couldn't recall the reviews, so I put it back down ($12). I'm going back up on Saturday. I'm reading "Confessions of Pipeman" and he mentions the 965 over and over, but says it is no longer being made (the book is from '08). It was a must have by his description, but I don't know if this is the same?
I'd like to know opinions on this MM965 stuff as well: I have a tin coming my way in the post soon. 8)

As it would happen, I've been smoking a lot of 965 the past couple of weeks and had a "breakthrough" moment with it a couple of days ago. It's been quite a challenge as a new piper to make 965 "sing." Quick version is this: it's very complex and subtle, but needs a lot of drying time out of the tin to be so. It also changes a lot from pipe to pipe. By all reports, aging does a lot to make it similar to its predecessors, but I can't speak to that.
Full narrative version, if you feel like reading on:

As a point of reference, the only other Latakia blend I've tried is Frog Morton, which I loved instantly. The tin aroma is a sharp, sour barbecue sauce and the main notes in the smoke are deep, rich leather / soil with moments of honeyed sweetness. (Islay whisky (Laphroig, Ardbeg, Lagavullen, et al) is my favorite drink and Latakia reminds me a lot of the iodine / peat moss nose of that particular Scotch. I think I've taken immediately to Latakia from the time being an acolyte of the peat monster.) Frog doesn't take much to smoke well--tin to pipe and light it. Easy peasy.

965 is a very different tobacco than Frog. MM 965 has a fine tin aroma (do note the very small sample size used for comparison). Ribbons of black, tan, and khaki green tobaccos, with the majority of tan, less black, and the least khaki. More subtle and complex aroma than the Frog, 965 has the recognizable BBQ notes, but more molasses than vinegar. There are also notes of potting soil and smoke in the tin. Looks good, smells great. So, I was really, really excited for the first smoke. Straight out of the tin, the first bowl tasted like cleaning out the fireplace. So smokey I yearned for a Churchwarden to keep the bowl away from my face. A bit of whisky, leather, and soil, but overall, hot air and not much flavor. Disappointment.

Now, as a new piper, I put any difficulties with a tobacco down to my inexperience. Since I liked Frog Morton and it smoked well in a variety of pipes (it's very happy in a MM Country Gent, incidentally), I put it aside and set my focus on befriending 965. I like a challenge. ;)

Tried it in cobs, bents, billiards with similar disappointing results. Rather than the full-bodied legend it was reputed to be, 965 seemed flavorless. I could feel the nicotine, which made for a neat buzz, but that was about it. Read more reviews and, following the recommendations, put some in a jar for a few weeks. That was a bit better -- ghost notes of honey and peat glide in. I decided to let it age and put the jar away for the time being.

But a couple of days ago, I had a breakthrough with it. Dried some from the tin on a paper towel for almost an hour. Filling the bowl, I found I'd dried too much for a loose fill, so I over-packed the pipe. I still could get a fine draw on it. Went to the porch, did a charring light with a match--mmmm, what's this? Leather and soil, a bit of hazelnut, and that lovely campho-phenique medicinal note. Tamped it down and it kept smoking--no ash flavors. Fired it up with another match and went for a walk outside. No relights, a good 30 minutes of fantastic tasting tobacco before it finally went out. Moments of sweet honey, lots of iodine, and some bright, mustard seed notes in there. (This is in a Peterson 999, btw.)

Tamping showed that the ash had been suspended above the rest of the tobacco--the whole thing caved in when lightly tamped. Rest of the smoke was equally enjoyable, deepening some of the iodine notes. Ash taste was very subtle, almost non-existent.

In the name of science, I repeated the process the following afternoon (I usually rest and rotate my pipes, but this is science!) and I had the same positive results. So, for me, drying it and packing firmly have worked wonders.

pipesmoker09":3ldoh55d said:
Im a latakia nut as well!!! I think you will satisfied with the sobranie remake (the $7 tin version) I bought a tin smoked a bowl went out and purchased 4 more tins...

Also may i suggest McClellands British Woods... I have a 6 year old tin that i first purchased when i started pipe 6 months ago it was loaded with Lat and very nice macedonian orientals.. about a quarter way through the bowl i get a "creamy chocolate" taste and it wont bite or grab your tongue a bit.

My 2 cents worth..
Cheers
Mike
Thanks for the endorsement on the Saseini--I'm looking forward to it. I'll add British Woods to the list--just based on the name, I ought to like it. :lol:

Nonsailor":z6t26vwy said:
pipesmoker09":z6t26vwy said:

My 2 cents worth..
Cheers
Mike
Thanks for the endorsement on the Saseini--I'm looking forward to it. I'll add British Woods to the list--just based on the name, I ought to like it. :lol:
Yes British woods is quite good!!! but and fellow Islay aficionado as well eh??? definately a rare breed, the mrs (being pregnant ) as soon as i open a bottle of laphoraig or caol Ila ill hear "pouring a glass huh?" (pregnancy sence of smell is crazy!) I definately love peat monsters and would agree that they go hand in hand with latakia blends... I usually cut it down with some good speyside single malts to incorporate a honey/fruiter taste to the palate...

A well-written review nonsailor, thanks for taking the time to provide that level of detail. You've tempted me to pick up a tin and jar it for a few weeks, than give it a whirl - I'll report back, but not as eloquently as your review!

riff raff":z9fpsahj said:
A well-written review nonsailor, thanks for taking the time to provide that level of detail. You've tempted me to pick up a tin and jar it for a few weeks, than give it a whirl - I'll report back, but not as eloquently as your review!
Thanks for your kind words, riff raff. To borrow from Ben Franklin, I apologize for the length of the review. Had I more time, I would have made it shorter. :lol: Can't wait to read your thoughts on 965.