Balkan / English / Sublime Tobaccos to Order?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pipesmoker09":xza01j5w said:
Nonsailor":xza01j5w said:
pipesmoker09":xza01j5w said:
Im a latakia nut as well!!! I think you will satisfied with the sobranie remake (the $7 tin version) I bought a tin smoked a bowl went out and purchased 4 more tins...

Also may i suggest McClellands British Woods... I have a 6 year old tin that i first purchased when i started pipe 6 months ago it was loaded with Lat and very nice macedonian orientals.. about a quarter way through the bowl i get a "creamy chocolate" taste and it wont bite or grab your tongue a bit.

My 2 cents worth..
Cheers
Mike
Thanks for the endorsement on the Saseini--I'm looking forward to it. I'll add British Woods to the list--just based on the name, I ought to like it. :lol:
Yes British woods is quite good!!! but and fellow Islay aficionado as well eh??? definately a rare breed, the mrs (being pregnant ) as soon as i open a bottle of laphoraig or caol Ila ill hear "pouring a glass huh?" (pregnancy sence of smell is crazy!) I definately love peat monsters and would agree that they go hand in hand with latakia blends... I usually cut it down with some good speyside single malts to incorporate a honey/fruiter taste to the palate...
Speysides are nice, too. I should have kept notes about scotches, as I don't recall any details about Aberlour or Glenlivet, other than "I think I liked them." Interesting idea to make one's own blends off a couple of single malts. I've found that Latakia goes well with a toddy--whiskey, lime, honey, bitters, and black tea. The aromas are very, very similar.

Nonsailor":3tw1lcit said:
Thanks for your kind words, riff raff. To borrow from Ben Franklin, I apologize for the length of the review. Had I more time, I would have made it shorter. :lol: Can't wait to read your thoughts on 965.
Trivial Tidbit Time (TTT): It was actually Blaise Pascal who originally penned, in Lettres Provinçiales in 1656, "Je N'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte." (I have only made this letter rather long because I have not had the leisure to make it shorter.) The expression has been credited to many other sources, and it's certainly been used by many of them, but Pascal's is the earliest published version found.

Back to the regularly schedules programme. ;)

glpease":wggdsvs7 said:
Nonsailor":wggdsvs7 said:
Thanks for your kind words, riff raff. To borrow from Ben Franklin, I apologize for the length of the review. Had I more time, I would have made it shorter. :lol: Can't wait to read your thoughts on 965.
Trivial Tidbit Time (TTT): It was actually Blaise Pascal who originally penned, in Lettres Provinçiales in 1656, "Je N'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte." (I have only made this letter rather long because I have not had the leisure to make it shorter.) The expression has been credited to many other sources, and it's certainly been used by many of them, but Pascal's is the earliest published version found.

Back to the regularly schedules programme. ;)
I've oft lamented my lack of study in French and here is one example why. Still, I'd rather be quoting Pascal than Franklin, so I appreciate the correction.

Actually, it's somewhat serendipitous to me that you replied. Of the eight tins of tobacco that arrived today, Meridian was my choice to open first. Now, as a neophyte to the tobaccan arts, I wouldn't put too much on my opinion, but... bravo, sir, bravo. At risk of over-gilding the lily, I'd put my time with Meridian today as the pipe smoking analogy to first hearing Beethoven's Eroica as a child or reading Wordsworth as an undergraduate. I knew a bit about music / poetry / pipes, but I hadn't imagined such sublimity was possible. Meridian seems symphonic in its arrangement, flavors advancing and receding. Piquant and rich, but never strident. Stunning. It's a wonderful introduction to Balkan / English style tobaccos and to your blends. Thank you.

And I'll stop now, before I embarrass myself further.

Lestrout brought a tin of 4 year old MM965 to the Boswell Meet & Greet today and I tried some in my Comoys pot. Wow, that is a real winner. It is a staple for Les and will be for myself as well. I bought the only tin on the shelf at Boswell, but will keep my eye out for more.

Les also brought and recommended some GLP Chelsea Morning, which was also very good.

riff raff":lfcupvbs said:
Lestrout brought a tin of 4 year old MM965 to the Boswell Meet & Greet today and I tried some in my Comoys pot. Wow, that is a real winner. It is a staple for Les and will be for myself as well. I bought the only tin on the shelf at Boswell, but will keep my eye out for more.

Les also brought and recommended some GLP Chelsea Morning, which was also very good.
That's great to read, riff raff. I'm sure a few years on 965 really make it balanced and flavorful. It's been doing well in quarter-sized bowls to break in a modest Apple-shape pipe I just acquired. Hardly the epiphanic experience that Meridian has been offering, but a very enjoyable smoke that's well balanced between the latakia and whatever sweet tobacco is in it (Cavendish?). Quite the transformation from what I first experienced with 965. Thanks for the update!

Well balanced is definitely an accurate way to describe MM965, this type of blend definitely suits me well.
The Chelsea Morning has just a hint of perique, but not enough to overpower the balance.

I'm currently reading "Confessions of a Pipeman" by Schrier, a great book, particularly for a neophyte pipe smoker like myself. He touts MM965 as a favorable blend no longer available, written I assume before the reissue?

riff raff":1kpi7jy5 said:
Well balanced is definitely an accurate way to describe MM965, this type of blend definitely suits me well.
The Chelsea Morning has just a hint of perique, but not enough to overpower the balance.

I'm currently reading "Confessions of a Pipeman" by Schrier, a great book, particularly for a neophyte pipe smoker like myself. He touts MM965 as a favorable blend no longer available, written I assume before the reissue?
965, as with most Dunhill tobaccos, has gone through a number of reissues. The version to which Schrier refer (I assume) is the Murray version, while we're smoking (I believe) the Orlik version (if I'm incorrect, anyone should feel free to correct me).

I should probably try the whole run of GLP's "Old London" series. I need to get past my antipathy toward Chelsea FC so to smoke Chelsea Morning without pause.

I'm currently reading Gately's "Tobacco: A Cultural History of How an Exotic Plant Seduced Civilization" as my relaxation book. So informative. I'll add the Schrier text to my wish-list. Thanks for the tip!

I hadn't heard of the Gately book, I'll have to look into that.

Picked up three more tins of 965 today. One was on the shelf for about six months according to Karl at Main Street Cigar in Maryland. I'll pop that one open first.

Nonsailor":5iurg6q4 said:
I should probably try the whole run of GLP's "Old London" series. I need to get past my antipathy toward Chelsea FC so to smoke Chelsea Morning without pause.
Would it help if I sent you labels that read "Manchester Morning" instead? ;) ("Arsenal Morning" or "Spurs Morning" just don't ring right, do they?)

glpease":8jltw65d said:
Nonsailor":8jltw65d said:
Would it help if I sent you labels that read "Manchester Morning" instead? ;) ("Arsenal Morning" or "Spurs Morning" just don't ring right, do they?)
I think "Highbury Morning" has a lovely ring to it. :lol:

No, "Arsenal Morning" would be a French rendition of an English blend, comprised of immature tobaccos that, once aged to quality, go join "Manchester Morning" or "Barcelona Blend." It would be difficult to keep lit and, despite moments of sheer brilliance, would ultimately disappoint.

"Spurs Morning"? That'd be a brown rope tobacco, wouldn't it? :p

(I'll get my coat.)

I stopped by Faders Tobacconist in Baltimore yesterday (Towson location). I grabbed another tin of Chelsea Morning and had time for a quick smoke. While there, the clerk showed me their "King Eider" blend and tells me, while new, it has become their best selling English. I tried a bowl there, than bought a few ounces. Last night I packed my big Upshall billiard and wow, what a wonderful tobacco. A deep, creamy smoke with a lot of flavor for a mild English. Not a ton of Latakia, so that was fine by me. A very subtle hint of Perique. It was a bit damp out of my bag, so I'm going to let it set for while. $4.50/ounce, not a bad deal. Very similar to Boswells "Magnum", another mild-English favorite of mine.

From their order page and info:
King Eider - A medium bodied blend of Bright and Red Virginia's, mixed with the finest Orientals and Cyprian Latakia, and just the right amount of unflavored Black Cavendish with a touch of Perique to round out the smooth taste. Created by our very own Jeff Goldman for your smoking pleasures.

http://www.faderstobac.com/tobaccos.php

The clerk said they had many large pouches of Penzance, if that is a blend you enjoy.

Nonsailor":y4s4ebgf said:
"Spurs Morning"? That'd be a brown rope tobacco, wouldn't it? :p
Is there a "thumbs down" feature on this site? I really wish there was a "thumbs down" feature on this site!

:)

riff raff":0nr9bdy7 said:
A deep, creamy smoke with a lot of flavor for a mild English. Not a ton of Latakia, so that was fine by me. A very subtle hint of Perique.

(snip)

The clerk said they had many large pouches of Penzance, if that is a blend you enjoy.
Sounds like a really nice smoke. I'll add it to the list -- nice price, too.

Penzance is so tempting. I promised not to buy any more tobacco for a while.... Decisions, decisions.