Balkan style

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if Greg would make something EXACTLY like that, sounds like we would have a REAL Balakan :p

glpease":hm3kumxn said:
desertpiper":hm3kumxn said:
I didn't mean to start such a dust up. But I learned quite a bit. Now how about some suggestions as to some other tobaccos to try that are in the same vane as Charing Cross. And are there any opinions on Charing Cross out there? I personally like it quite a bit.
There was an interesting thread, obliquely about Charing Cross, in another forum. I don't know if non-members can read posts there, but here's the link. The first post is the germane one, though it's quite long, and may not seem like it at first, but read on. Quite an honor!

http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5115
I even considered Charing Cross to be the best reminiscence of BS white (throughout all the bowl) and 759 as well (in the charring light).

glpease said:
williamcharles":hik758kw said:
desertpiper":hik758kw said:
You might give GLP Miridian a try. It's as good as CC but just a tad different.
To my personal tastes, Meridian is the most balanced of the medium-Latakia blends I've done. I'm often asked which is my fave, and I can never really answer that, but Meridian would be one of five that I took with me on that Marooned on a Deserted Island holiday.
and what are the other four? haven't gotten into your lat blends yet but it's on my short list. hard to ignore your VA offerings when i ran into a bunch dated from 04 - 06. gave me a bit of a jumpstart on the cellar being a newb. :D

also i asked this question (balkan vs english) at the B&M and the answer was "ask four people and you'll get five answers. try a few and you'll see what i mean"

somedumbjerk said:
glpease":hfgjx38s said:
williamcharles":hfgjx38s said:
desertpiper":hfgjx38s said:
You might give GLP Miridian a try. It's as good as CC but just a tad different.
To my personal tastes, Meridian is the most balanced of the medium-Latakia blends I've done. I'm often asked which is my fave, and I can never really answer that, but Meridian would be one of five that I took with me on that Marooned on a Deserted Island holiday.
and what are the other four? haven't gotten into your lat blends yet but it's on my short list. hard to ignore your VA offerings when i ran into a bunch dated from 04 - 06. gave me a bit of a jumpstart on the cellar being a newb. :D

also i asked this question (balkan vs english) at the B&M and the answer was "ask four people and you'll get five answers. try a few and you'll see what i mean"
The other four change with the seasons. I could always add a Vivaldi selection of Key Largo, Chelsea Morning, Abingdon and Union Square. Or Navigator. Or my supply of Garfinkel's Orient Express #11. Or …

This is the sort of thought exercise that just twists my brain into contortions of such topological complexity that I'm afraid I may one day not be able to unwind it. The problem is twofold, at least. First, my seasonally fickle tastes make it impossible unless I know the weather conditions of the island. Seriously. Second, I always like what I'm currently smoking better than the things I'm not. At the moment, it's a prototype blend I'm putting together, and it's engaged me to the point where I could say it belongs on the island, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

What four wines? That I might be able to do. What four Scotches? Easy. But, what four tobaccos is as hard for me as what four books, or what four recordings. Bah. I'm feeling the squeeze. I'm not going to think about this anymore.

And, the problem with the English/Balkan thing is that, first off, what the hell is an 'English blend?', and secondly, the whole connotation of Balkan and English are a$$ over teakettle backwards.