BBB pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbernater

Reaction score
Hay y'all. Any of you have a BBB pipe. I have been watching one on ebay and if they are as good as my GBD I'm thinking I want one. I ts a shape I don't have and it apeers to be old, the way I like. Please give feed back.

Over the years i have had several BBB. Good classic english pipes.Stay away from BBB not made in England.Try to get one made in the '60s or older.

I've got an estate one that I use fairly often. It's a decent smoker, but I grab some of my better freehands a lot more often. I think that has to do more with the design of my particular specimen than any overall quality issue.

Blumenthal's Best Briar...
I love mine. A perfect billiard with no fills whatsoever. It is surprisingly weighty which I might guess indicates dense, old briar.
Another is a nosewarmer apple (BBB "Two Thousand")with a wide mouthpiece. Ditto on the briar.

BBB's sure look classic, I hope to own one. Keep us posted!

My B&M owner always priced estate BBBs on par with estate Dunhills. I don't know much about them, but lb seems to; I'd go with his advice. From what little I know and your stated preference for older pipes, it seems like a fit.

As an aside, I don't think the guys who are fanatical about old briar know what they're talking about; neither does GLP.

SPUD 15":huidbags said:
The older BBB's are great pipes.
Yes, indeed. They used to make some really fine-tuned billiards and canadians. Just the right proportions with a bold appearance. Good smokers, too.

They have some nice pipes on that site. I seen some I like and would have bought but they were sold. I wish sites like that would remove sold pipes

plumbernater":fym2xxsm said:
They have some nice pipes on that site. I seen some I like and would have bought but they were sold. I wish sites like that would remove sold pipes
It does help give you some perpsective on prices folks paid, but catches you out if you chose one that has been sold!

I seen one that caught my eye for $29 and was thinking . Im going to get that bad boy and what next makes your blood run cold. Big red letters SOLD.

I have to say this about Marty's pipes.

I have, so far, purchased 5 pipes from him and they have all been keepers. Not a bad one in the lot. I can live with the dreaded red letters SOLD.

He is a straight up guy with no bs and has actually (after talking to him) steered me away from certain pipes because he knows that I would be disappointed.

There are still a few nice unsold BBB pipes for sale, from as early as 1895 (I think).

It's true that the site could use some maintenance, but the guy is a freaking legend! He says in the FAQ section that if you don't like him, the line forms at the rear, but watch out for his wife...she might be on the line and is armed. :)

All the best,

Tom

His reputation is first rate, but I'm gald to hear similar from a 1st-hand customer. I check his offerings from time-to-time, but not frequently enough as I seem to miss pipes that I would enjoy.

tgwilt":4m3o014o said:
I have to say this about Marty's pipes.

I have, so far, purchased 5 pipes from him and they have all been keepers. Not a bad one in the lot. I can live with the dreaded red letters SOLD.

He is a straight up guy with no bs and has actually (after talking to him) steered me away from certain pipes because he knows that I would be disappointed.

There are still a few nice unsold BBB pipes for sale, from as early as 1895 (I think).

It's true that the site could use some maintenance, but the guy is a freaking legend! He says in the FAQ section that if you don't like him, the line forms at the rear, but watch out for his wife...she might be on the line and is armed. :)

All the best,

Tom

I was not saying the guy is bad or shadey or any thing tou might imply. I like what I saw ,just talking about what I liked being sold aleady. Its like going to a car lot and seeing a car and the sales man saying you cant have it. There was another site I use to go to that the fellow has retired that was like that but it didnt stop me from liking the site and doing business.

I agree, its really a pain to be looking through pipes for sale and see one you really want, only to see its already been sold. I'm not sure why so many sellers do this. Its just unnerving to say the least. This is not to bash any particular seller that does this its just my opinion. I think it might even drop there sales with a few because I've been so disappointed with some sites that do this because the amount of pipes sold, out numbered the for sale ones that I wont go back because it seems there always 90% sold out.
This also might be because I don't look for the normal pipe, I'm always looking for the odd or unique ones.

I know where you coming from. Ill be cruising a site and might go through 100s of pipes and all of a sudden there she will be, saying get me

The good stuff goes quick. Same as with famous contemporary makers. Often, with used stuff, the good ones never even make it to the screen -- they're sold with a phone call as soon as they come in.

If I were a pipe dealer and somebody wanted to get on my case about how I wasn't putting in enough time on my site revisions to "satisfy" HIM, I'd invite him to endeavor the performance of an anatomical impossibility.

And do so with a song in my heart, secure in the knowledge that the people who knew & valued me were in unspoken agreement.

I don't like being disappointed either. But the sale prices on "sold" pipes (dealers and flea bay both) are invaluable information ; IMHO, leaving them up for a while serves a good purpose.

:face: