BBB pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy hell, did you just hear about estate Grabows being made secretly by Alfred Dunhill? HOLY CRAP! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

<------ *gets kicked off BoB permanently*

Sorry guys, been nice knowin' ya.

Back around 2005-06 you could (and I used to) get higher end pre-republic Pete billiards & such for $10-$20. I raved about them on the old Knox Cigar Board and . . . they went from wrong-side-of-the-tracks pipes not even guys on tight budgets wanted to collector$' item$. Cause & effect ? Who knows. Everything was going up then anyhow, but selectively -- one brand at a time.

Then I board-mentioned that the first Armellinis to hit the US were made for the Tinder Box chain under their name and watched them go from <$10 to either disappeared or "buy it now for megabucks because Mauro Armellini made it." Same deal. Actually, they're beautiful looking but crap smoking pipes without either new stems or tricky & expensive airway opening/adjustment. (New stems are actually cheaper).

Sooner or later, every pipe 20 or more years old is going to have a niche market following. As noted, talking about it tends to make it sooner.

:face:

Yak":m0ptsrm7 said:
Back around 2005-06 you could (and I used to) get higher end pre-republic Pete billiards & such for $10-$20. I raved about them on the old Knox Cigar Board and . . . they went from wrong-side-of-the-tracks pipes not even guys on tight budgets wanted to collector$' item$.
So you're the one who did that!? :tongue:

:lol!:

MisterE":1cojw867 said:
As for pipes, it happens too. There was a thread on Posella Nosewarners about a year ago and after that all available pipes disappeared within hours.
When Mr.Pease talks, people listen!

This is the one I was referencing earlier, hopefully I didn't jinx it and one of you guys grabbed it, what a classic shape and in fine condition. I was surprised it stayed at less than $100.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250962962274?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I noticed this ebay seller writes articles for the NAPCS newsletter and added him to my favorite sellers.
$(KGrHqF,!nkE63U,eSimBO+I90ioi!~~60_3.JPG

$90 is a lot more than I would've bet. Not because it is or isn't worth it, but because I didn't realize the demand was there for BBB.

The best pipes of all of the major British makers -- Barling, BBB, Charatan, Comoy, Dunhill, GBD and Sasieni, were about on a par. People periodically start "runs" on one or the other, but in the long run, the lack of parity is a passing thing.

Actually, the original (before the Cadogan final takeover when everything branded "BBB" came from the Swansea factory that made most of the rest of them as well) top grade BBBs are rare -- Dunhill bought their perfect stummels for more than BBB could make finishing & selling them. Find an "Own Make Virgin" and you've got the equal of any British production pipe, ever.

Yak":2xiw5yba said:
Find an "Own Make Virgin" and you've got the equal of any British production pipe, ever.

Thanks for that tip Yak, I'm just learning about the BBB brand.

That baby went out of my range but you can see why I was asking about the BBB brand. I was just watching a Randy Wiley that I missed for one dollar. $51.09
KGrHqZHJC4E7BcviTwoBO6e6cYGl60_3.jpg

riff raff":x6r7dpep said:
Yak":x6r7dpep said:
But the sale prices on "sold" pipes (dealers and flea bay both) are invaluable information ; IMHO, leaving them up for a while serves a good purpose.

I like it for that purpose as well.
I value price information on sold pipes as well. Price is invaluable; with it you know more about the pipe's and the site's pricing.

alfredo_buscatti":n821m5d8 said:
riff raff":n821m5d8 said:
Yak":n821m5d8 said:
But the sale prices on "sold" pipes (dealers and flea bay both) are invaluable information ; IMHO, leaving them up for a while serves a good purpose.

I like it for that purpose as well.
I value price information on sold pipes as well. Price is invaluable; with it you know more about the pipe's and the site's pricing.
Well, it doesn't bother me, but Marty Pulvers will occasionally change the price on sold pipes, unless you believe that he really sold an unsmoked Kurt Balleby for $95. I think it's kind of funny.

Harlock999":paquxj8e said:
Well, it doesn't bother me, but Marty Pulvers will occasionally change the price on sold pipes, unless you believe that he really sold an unsmoked Kurt Balleby for $95. I think it's kind of funny.
Well, that sure explains the price on some of those Dunhills that I keep missing! Good one Marty!

Harlock999":epjft1wj said:
but Marty Pulvers will occasionally change the price on sold pipes
That's low. Which of the links is to him, or what is his website? I'd like to know so I can not give him my business. I don't appreciate bullshit like that at all.

EDIT: nevermind. open your eyes before you ask the question. Got it. Duly noted.
http://www.pulversbriar.com/