Bengal-like slices advice needed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Smokers' Haven Krumble Kake
Park-Lane Bengal slices
F&K - Lancer Slices

These are the three I've seen mentioned in online conversations.  Are there any others that mimic, or pay homage, to Bengal Slices?  Smokers' Haven is always out of Krumble Kake, so that likely won't be an option.  Would anyone care to recommend, or advise otherwise, one more than the other (Park-Lane or F&K more)?

And if anyone is willing to throw a bowl amount of Park-Lane and/or F&K in a baggie and throw it in a standard envelope for a sample, I'd be incredibly grateful.  Nothing like tasting for yourself. *trading possible

thanks

Try Heath and homes fusiliers ration. It is very close to the original Bengal slices.

Hearth & Home Marquee Series Fusiliers Ration 2oz tin

Thanks! Had not seen that one mentioned. Of course, they're sold out of it right now. Definitely have to try it.

Zeno Marx":eg1dnld4 said:
Smokers' Haven Krumble Kake
Park-Lane Bengal slices
F&K - Lancer Slices

These are the three I've seen mentioned in online conversations.  Are there any others that mimic, or pay homage, to Bengal Slices?  Smokers' Haven is always out of Krumble Kake, so that likely won't be an option.  Would anyone care to recommend, or advise otherwise, one more than the other (Park-Lane or F&K more)?

And if anyone is willing to throw a bowl amount of Park-Lane and/or F&K in a baggie and throw it in a standard envelope for a sample, I'd be incredibly grateful.  Nothing like tasting for yourself. *trading possible

thanks
I would definitely recommend Lancer's Slices, it's probably my favorite blend. I've never smoked Bengal's Slices, so I can't compare the two though. Straight up great virginia and latakia in a very easy to handle broken flake. I taste a topping of some sort, though it's for me elegant, and very complimentary.

Zeno Marx":svguwfpa said:
Hearth & Home Marquee Series Fusiliers Ration 2oz tin

Thanks!  Had not seen that one mentioned.  Of course, they're sold out of it right now.  Definitely have to try it.
I've really been wanting to get a tin or two of Fusilier's as well, and can't seem to catch it in stock. Russ said something about new tin formats, I don't know if this was one of the blends he was referencing.

I agree, Lancer's Slices is fantastic but having never smoked Bengal I don't know how they compare.

Fusiliers on the other hand was modeled after Bengal Slices by Russ. I have read that the original Bengal Slices were lightly topped with something as is Fusiliers. There's no topping at all on Lancers, which is just long strands of sweet VA mixed with Latakia.  

I was under the impression that SH's Krumble Kake was repackaged Penzance, as SH's Cognac is a dead ringer for Pembroke.

I had the opportunity to try Fusiliers Ration and Lancer's Slices.  Both weren't as robust as I was hoping, and FR was the milder of the two.  A very generous fellow user here was kind enough to send me a nice amount of each as a sampler.  Very grateful for the camaraderie.

I didn't care for FR's cut.  It's reminiscent of C&D's Night Train; plug cake form comprised of smaller bits of tobacco.  Nice tin scent, but not a lot of flavor.  I can see how someone could smoke this all day, but it wasn't my aim to find an all-day smoke.  I was hoping for something to compliment a rich meal or a late-night walk.  To lay me down.

LS has a really nice cut and is very easy to pack.  Burned great.  A little too tangy for my tastes, and not enough punch to the English flavors.  The topping is inconsistent, but I liked it when I did taste it.  It's something I'd smoke, but I hesitate to say it would be something I'd keep on hand.

next...Park-Lane

I too like Lancer's Slices, and the name implies it was to be a similar blend to Bengal Slices (anyone out there remember that old Saturday morning TV series, 77 Bengal Lancers?)  I did smoke a fair ammount of Bengal Slices in the past and enjoyed it, and their aromatic version as well.  But as it's been so many years since I've had any, and Lancers is here now, I can't recall if they are similar or not.  When one is comparing tobaccos, and one you last smoked more than 10 years past and the other you had last week, well, you can see the dificulty in this.

Natch

Checking in to see if there have been any new blends introduced in the Bengal Slices tradition. Anyone hear of anything new out there?