Bikes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean68":d7fhrsf5 said:
Dutch, I love the Road Kings! I had one I bought in 1995, probably had it for six or seven years. It was a good bike.

I might be buying a 2009 Dyna Super Glide Custom when I get home. A neighbor is trying to sell me his (it only has 600 miles, the missus didn't approve...). I hope to find some good riding roads around Huntsville when I get there!
Sean, the Dyna line is the preferred bike of many seasoned riders, and would be my first choice were I going to buy a second bike.

East of Huntsville, in the NE corner of the state is Jackson County. These are the foothills of the Appalachians, so there is plenty of scenic riding only minutes away from Huntsville.

Another great scenic ride, is the Natchez Trace Parkway located in the NW corner of Alabama. No commercial vehicles allowed, 444 miles of scenic roadway maintained by the National Park Service with bookoo points of historical interest, and a 50 mph speed limit make it a favorite of many bikers.

Dutch":rmectp3n said:
East of Huntsville, in the NE corner of the state is Jackson County. These are the foothills of the Appalachians, so there is plenty of scenic riding only minutes away from Huntsville.

Another great scenic ride, is the Natchez Trace Parkway located in the NW corner of Alabama. No commercial vehicles allowed, 444 miles of scenic roadway maintained by the National Park Service with bookoo points of historical interest, and a 50 mph speed limit make it a favorite of many bikers.
Chris, this sounds great. I am sure I have read about the Natchez Trail Parkway somewhere, too. Thanks, brother! Keep the rubber side down.

Really like that speed triple, am in the process of selling my buell cyclone m2 right now. :evil: Broke about two years ago and harley parts are damned expensive. Love the naked bikes and the cafe racers though. It was 1200 cc of corning power and torque, loved it. Have a little one now, bike broke few months before he was born. Guess it wasn't such a bad thing, but I ache so bad to get back out and ride sometimes. Nothing like the flying through the gears with only inches between you and the pavement. :pirat:

i.keenum":7gez2a9g said:
Really like that speed triple, am in the process of selling my buell cyclone m2 right now. :evil: Broke about two years ago and harley parts are damned expensive. Love the naked bikes and the cafe racers though. It was 1200 cc of corning power and torque, loved it. Have a little one now, bike broke few months before he was born. Guess it wasn't such a bad thing, but I ache so bad to get back out and ride sometimes. Nothing like the flying through the gears with only inches between you and the pavement. :pirat:
Sir, I LOVE the Buells! It is a shame that you find yourself needing to sell that sexy little piece of history. I have considered buying one like this for my daughter's first motorcycle. But she is obsessed with Ducati Monsters (another fine choice) so I think Daddy will be seeking one of those next year...

I was asked several times when I ride out of out was a ducati monster.

Sean68":pwwxs5oc said:
I write in past tense, because I sold her a few years back. I decided that I had ridden long enough and had come out unscathed, so it was probably a good time to quit tempting my fate sell it. My family was all very relieved to see "Lucy" go. While I think it was a wise decision, it was really hard to watch someone else ride off on her, and to this day I wish I were still riding.
Growley, my good Sir! You must return to the road! I was without a motorcycle for five years and it was down right depressing. I can understand the time comes to put away the fast bikes. But that is the time to find a comfortable cruiser to put around on! I am researching Harley Dyna models right now. A more reasonable option from Harley.

Cheers![/quote]

I would love to get back on a bike. Even with a ridiculously fast rocket, my biggest fear wasn't wrecking...but being wrecked. The only times I almost got in a wreck were when other people weren't paying attention...mostly people in mini-vans, driving and talking on cell phones. If I knew I could drive on roads where no one else was I'd be all over it.

Oh, I almost died once when I was cruising through the mountains in Colorado. I hit an 8" rock at 55 mph and ramped up about 2 feet in the air. Crazy...

Nice Triumph! Stay safe!

Oh, nice avatar change by the way. Your first one made me nervous :D

Okay, so there are probably threads that are far more lost than this one.

BUT, motorcycles are SO important to me! I have been very interested to read what sort of motorcycles and riding experiences my fellow Brothers of Briar tell of.

I find motorcycles to be an interesting choice, much like how one choses to smoke his (and her!) tobacco, drink his (and her!) fine beverages, etc. Pipes tend more toward a thinking gentleman or someone with an appreciation for history and culture. These same people will make interesting choices in motorcycles. I prefer Triumph and Ducati, although I do like all European makes. And I even still have a soft spot in my heart for Harley Davidson despite being overpriced and underdeveloped. I shy away from Japanese manufacturers mostly due to character having been completely developed out of them, although there are a few Japanese motorcycles in particular I am fond of.

So, anyways, just trying to keep the topic alive.

Ciao!

keeping it going. I aquired a '77 Honda CB550k and am doing the typical cafe thing. thing needed work and the frame was chopped so i went at it. i'll get pics when it's done, but here it is as a mess:
https://i.imgur.com/NPVHo.jpg
slapped some clubmans on it and it started to get a little character. going to keep it pretty rough though, ratty and not all polished.hate polished cafe bikes next one is going to be a street tracker of some kind. or a funduro.
https://i.imgur.com/jqqQH.jpg

Recently sold this. '94 HD FXR :( but will be saving my pennies for a Sucker Punch Sally or somethin like it.

I just finished a frame up build of a 1977 ironhead sportster. It's got a solo seat, ape hangers. bobed fender,
Andrews cam and drag pipes. All the motor work, fabrication and painting I did myself ( which took 3yrs ). The
only thing I farmed out was the powder coating of the frame.
Now there is a 1979 ironhead with a hardtail frame waiting to be built in the shed. It will take me awhile to do this one as my 3yr old daughter happily takes up most of my time.
I will try to get some pictures posted for you guys as soon as I get my new camera figured out.

Chet

Motorcycle thread!

:woot

Current:

20140905_141734-L.jpg

P5200063-L.jpg

Own an HD now (my second), but I am certainly not a brand snob.

Previous marquees: Husky (1), KTM (2), Honda (2), Triumph (2), Kawasaki (2), Buell (1), Yamaha (2), BMW (2)

My first scooter was a 1958 T-20 Triumph Tiger Cub that I had back in 1960.

Worked my way from that up to my current scooter a 1968 BMW R-50 that I've had for over the last 40 years. I've put over 250k miles on it and rebuilt the motor and a ground up resto3 years ago. Don't ride it much theses days what with the mix of cell phones/SUVs on the roads :twisted: :twisted:  Pic is at the last BMWRA  gathering I was at 20 years ago. :twisted:  :twisted:

Nice bikes guys! Thanks for sharing your pics!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ah yes! My other vice.

I grew up riding pillion with my dad. I have been riding since I was 16 (15 if you count my Honda Spree).

This is my first bike, a 1971 BMW R60/5. I still have it and is my daily rider.

This bike is a 1980 Soviet Era Dnepr sidecar rig that was made in the Ukraine (cousin to the Russian Ural). My dad bought it new in 1980. He finally got tired of fixing it and put it in a dusty corner of the garage in 1989. The pic is of my dad, grandma, and that's me sitting on the back.

In 2004 with the news that I had a son on the way I went over to dads and rescued the Dnepr. I tore it completely down and replaced as many parts as I could with western parts. The first pic is of my son in the sidecar. The second is with my daughter on the back and my cousin in the sidecar.

This is my first dirt bike, a 1993 Husqvarna TE-350 that had been bored up to a 480. It ate a valve in the middle of the woods in early 2000. Since then I have slowly (very slowly) getting bits for it to get it back on the road. My plan is to turn it into a Supermotard.

This is my current dirt ride, a 2005 GasGas EC250 (made in Spain). Since aquiring this bike about 5 years ago I have done a lot more trail riding and love it.

Since I was dirt riding and it can take a lot of time, I wanted my son to be able to enjoy it with me. This is him at 4 years old on his first bike, a Suzuki JR50.

He turned 9 last September and outgrew the Suzuki, so I upgraded him to a Honda XR80.

Last year my daughter (14) wanted to get into riding also. She wanted a dirt bike but I opted to get her a quad instead (1998 Polaris Trailblazer 250 Auto). She is now pretty happy that I went that route after giving her brothers XR80 a try.

This last pic is from labor day weekend. The kids and I went riding for three days in the woods.

In addition to these I have a few neglected projects including a 1995 Ducati 900SS CR.

My wife supports my motorcycle hobby (habit?) 100% but unfortunately does not join me on the bike very often as it's just not her thing. I still have hopes of getting her on a quad so she can join us trail riding.

monbla256":mtm7kllj said:
My first scooter was a 1958 T-20 Triumph Tiger Cub that I had back in 1960.

Worked my way from that up to my current scooter a 1968 BMW R-50 that I've had for over the last 40 years. I've put over 250k miles on it and rebuilt the motor and a ground up resto3 years ago. Don't ride it much theses days what with the mix of cell phones/SUVs on the roads :twisted: :twisted:  Pic is at the last BMWRA  gathering I was at 20 years ago. :twisted:  :twisted:

Absolutely gorgeous /2. I have always loved Dover White Beemers. Someday I'll do a ground up resto of my /5 and Dover White she will be.

No offense taken. If anything is to be taken from the Beemer ralleys I have been to, there is something wrong with all of us.