Boswell pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it's not too bad. :( I bought that last week and hope it gets here today.

Mark

Mark - it is to laugh. Everyone has their own likes, etc. Just because one guy likes or doesn't like something...makes no difference, as has been said here many times over. Knowing the current reputation of Boswell's pipes...it'll smoke like a champ. And if you like the look, that's all that matters. You'd be surprised at some of the girls I used to go out with. Not the most beautiful, but like a Boswell, they smoked like a champ! :lol:

LOL, ya they go fast on Thursday mornings...here is a tip that I use at work, get yourself an iPhone and keep refreshing the pipe list every 3 or 4 min until the new ones are posted, then call right away, don't think to long...I have never lost a pipe yet.

I wonder if there is a way for the mods to move these posts to the "Lets talk Boswell" thread under the Photo Gallery? just an idea :D

A piece by Boswell from 97'.
370551978845_1.jpg
isn't she beautiful?

Blackhorse":hlpfk030 said:
You'd be surprised at some of the girls I used to go out with. Not the most beautiful, but like a Boswell, they smoked like a champ! :lol:

Well spoken, sir.

Picked up my first Boswell this week, received it yesterday. This one to be exact.

I am extremely pleased with it. I haven't smoked it yet, but I have been wanting a large billiard for awhile. Plus it is rusticated, which I almost always go for. I would compare it to the Baronet Bruyere series from Savinelli, as it is a huge, black, rusticated pipe (I have several from the Savinelli BB series, and this is pretty comparable, albeit with a much nicer stem).

I've been smoking their blends for awhile. Like a lot of people, I think their aromatics are some of the best available. My current favorite is PA Dutch Treat.

Lotsa nice stuff...but I've got the winner. I traded this beast for a couple that I just never used...this one I use...one of my favorites. The shape, the feel in the hand of that rustication, the great graphite marblized lucite, the weight, the wall thickness...to me, it's got everything.

MichalsCamera518-Copy.jpg

MichalsCamera521-Copy.jpg

anyone feel the Boswell draw hole is too big? I feel like I'm smoking through a full-sized straw, and I'm not sure how well it serves tobacco flavors. I think I might prefer a more condensed smoke. Still undecided, but this is where I'm leaning.

Zeno Marx":srt74z76 said:
anyone feel the Boswell draw hole is too big? I feel like I'm smoking through a full-sized straw, and I'm not sure how well it serves tobacco flavors. I think I might prefer a more condensed smoke. Still undecided, but this is where I'm leaning.
Boswell pipes are designed for a richer full bodied smoke. They definitely consume more tobacco than your average Peterson, but this is exactly why some folks like them. ;)

I actually opened up my two Boswells pipes a bit, mostly to better pass a cleaner.

I'm meeting some other pipe board members at the shop on 3/24 (Saturday) if anyone is interested.

Dutch":xtswytys said:
Zeno Marx":xtswytys said:
Boswell pipes are designed for a richer full bodied smoke.
I'm getting the exact opposite result, AND it burns more tobacco more quickly. Too much oxygen in the mix would be my guess. Whatever the physical science behind it, the smoke isn't as dense, so the flavors are less condensed. That's how this pipe smokes anyway. I've smoked aged caked VAs, VaPers, and full-bodied English all with the same conclusion. It's a bummer because this pipe is nice in every other regard.

I'm probably a much less experienced smoker than you are...but my Boswell has turned out to be one of my 2 best smokers. I look forward to when it's turn is up in my rotation....I always get a rich full flavor from this pipe. Don't know if this makes a difference but all I smoke in it is Va/VaPers.

I've got three Boswell's and two smoke perfectly, to my way of thinking. The other is one made in 2000, so being older...and then there's the thing with the stem being broken off and all. (got it that way)

But that third one...a giant bulldog shape with two incised rings...I tried to send back for a new stem and wanted them to 'adjust' the rustication from small blobs with uneven edges here and there on the lower part of the strummel (which looks like a high school shop project) to being total coverage and then to restain and finish it...and they wouldn't. So that's a project I'm doing myself.

Zeno Marx":jselobdf said:
Dutch":jselobdf said:
Zeno Marx":jselobdf said:
Boswell pipes are designed for a richer full bodied smoke.
I'm getting the exact opposite result, AND it burns more tobacco more quickly. Too much oxygen in the mix would be my guess. Whatever the physical science behind it, the smoke isn't as dense, so the flavors are less condensed. That's how this pipe smokes anyway. I've smoked aged caked VAs, VaPers, and full-bodied English all with the same conclusion. It's a bummer because this pipe is nice in every other regard.
Zeno, I have 4 Boswell's, and one of them smokes as you describe. The only thing I could do to compensate, was to pack the bowl tighter, but still it doesn't smoke as well as the other 3.

The thing about Boswell's is they are all completely hand made and no two are going to be alike. Some may have a free-er draw than others...but that happens with hand made stuff. I find that the type of tobacco I am smoking and the way I pack it has just as much to do with the draw. I have been smoking a blend from a pipe shop in Lebanon county that is made from Brazilian Rope Cavendish which is cut/shredded into it's final form. The pieces are a little harder/more dense but the more free. This tobacco takes more packing in order to get a better draw.

billm67":7vsi0z3x said:
The thing about Boswell's is they are all completely hand made and no two are going to be alike. Some may have a free-er draw than others...but that happens with hand made stuff. I find that the type of tobacco I am smoking and the way I pack it has just as much to do with the draw. I have been smoking a blend from a pipe shop in Lebanon county that is made from Brazilian Rope Cavendish which is cut/shredded into it's final form. The pieces are a little harder/more dense but the more free. This tobacco takes more packing in order to get a better draw.
Where is the shop in Lebanon? I travel thru that area occasionally.