Bruyere Guarante

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a pipe with this insignia on it at our local antique mall. I got the crabby owner to open the case for me; always a treat, and he gives a good dose of harumphing each time to be sure you are aware of the inconvenience.
Anyway, the pipe looked neat, but when I got it in my hand it felt so light I thought it was plastic. Not wanting to suffer Grumpy's exasperation with me if I stood there and researched online, I simply passed.
It was $22 and seemed to be in good shape, but smoked. I did look it up later, and it seems to be a real thing, this Bruyere. Did I pass up a gem? Should I go back?

Funny. I considered starting a thread about jerky retailers. Not too long ago, I emailed an online shop about a pipe. I asked for an additional picture or two and if it had any fills. they only had one small photo that you could not enlarge. In my request, I thanked them for the trouble and did not ask them to hold the pipe or anything else, just that it looked interesting and wanted more information. It hadn't even been 15 hours, and I get an email that was all of, "Do you want it or not??" I did end up buying a pipe from them a few months later, but what the heck? Take 'er easy, big fella. Ask that kind of pushy question 3 days from then...AND NICELY. I don't get these sellers of anything that don't realize my money is a privilege if I choose to spend it with you. As if they're doing us a favor by existing.

I can remember my first Dr.Grabows feeling like plastic. When I later got into nicer pipes and didn't smoke them anymore, I even stomped on one of them with my heel to break it open to see, because to be honest, I was never 100% convinced it was wood. It was. Sorry I showed those pipes so much disrespect. I don't think I'd be smoking them now, but destroying one of them for curiosity's sake was a little over the top.

I've run across many older briars with this, or closely similar, stamping. Just means "Real Briar" as opposed to some other wood. The "guarante" or sometimes "guarantee" is frequently seen on older Meers signifying the amber stem is real amber! FWIW, FTRPLT

Did you post a logo pic? If so I can't see it. A quick google of "Byuyere Guarante (Garantie?)" will give you some info; it could be a pipe by a French maker, or another brand just using the term. I always snap a quick cell phone pic or two of something I might want to research further. Never had a dealer refuse me doing that; if they ever do I'll say "let me take the pics and I may or may not be back later, but if you don't I for sure won't be." Already sounds like you have some misgivings though.

Did you post a logo pic? If so I can't see it. A quick google of "Byuyere Guarante (Garantie?)" will give you some info; it could be a pipe by a French maker, or another brand just using the term. I always snap a quick cell phone pic or two of something I might want to research further. Never had a dealer refuse me doing that; if they ever do I'll say "let me take the pics and I may or may not be back later, but if you don't I for sure won't be." Already sounds like you have some misgivings though.
I didn't think fast enough.

Okay, I went back today. (you know what's coming...)

Grumpy Owner was somewhat less grumpy today, which is a good thing, because I couldn't find the case after wandering around for 10 or 15 minutes, and I had to ask him where it was (I remembered the number, at least.) Turned out the vendor moved it to a different part of the room, in a corner. Someone had busted the lock on the case, he said, which is a good thing, because he didn't have the case keys with him, and he'd have had to go back to the front desk, and then I would have Been In Trouble.

I just decided to buy the thing and figure out what it is later. Here are some pics for your enjoyment, and hopefully I'll get educated.

I've no idea what the screwy insert is for. Never seen that.

Attachments

• 20230708_112559.jpg
    20230708_112559.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_112606.jpg
    20230708_112606.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_112626.jpg
    20230708_112626.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_112716.jpg
    20230708_112716.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_112727.jpg
    20230708_112727.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_112744.jpg
    20230708_112744.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230708_112757.jpg
    20230708_112757.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Okay, I went back today. (you know what's coming...)

Grumpy Owner was somewhat less grumpy today, which is a good thing, because I couldn't find the case after wandering around for 10 or 15 minutes, and I had to ask him where it was (I remembered the number, at least.) Turned out the vendor moved it to a different part of the room, in a corner. Someone had busted the lock on the case, he said, which is a good thing, because he didn't have the case keys with him, and he'd have had to go back to the front desk, and then I would have Been In Trouble.

I just decided to buy the thing and figure out what it is later. Here are some pics for your enjoyment, and hopefully I'll get educated.

I've no idea what the screwy insert is for. Never seen that. The pipe did look better to me this time; I guess I was in a mood before.
How do you delete a post? This one was an error.

I did a test smoke after giving the pipe a quick cleaning - it didn't seem like it had been smoked much. Unfortunately, the heat activated the smell of Grandma's Basement. I will have to do a salt and alcohol bath to it. I'll let it rest overnight and do that tomorrow.

I ended up setting it in alcohol and salt last night, and the concoction was a nice sludgy brown this morning. Dried it out and set it in front of the dehumidifier to dessicate. I'll probably take the dremel sander to the inside after church.

Here's the result!

Dremeled the inside of the bowl, hand-sanded the rim with 220grit, and cleaned the stem with some 'special fluid'; seems the oxy clean bath wasn't good enough.

I know I've exposed some areas now that need to be filled, but I don't think I care.

Now to smoke this sucker. I'll start with Autumn Evening.

Attachments

• 20230709_150627.jpg
    20230709_150627.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230709_150641.jpg
    20230709_150641.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230709_152409.jpg
    20230709_152409.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I took it for its first test flight about an hour ago. It smoked MUCH better than the first time; I have hope for this thing. I cleaned it just now, removed the spiral metal jim-jam for the second go just in case it was making things worse, and I'm going to try it here in a bit, when the mood strikes. My mood is not being helped by the sensation that I have a sore throat coming on (DAGNABBIT!)