Bruyere Guarante

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a pipe that looked exactly like that shape; it was a natural finish with darker tones in the carving. It was Italian and as I recall an OK smoker.
I have no idea how to go about refinishing the rusticated outside. Any idea how to go about it (aside from dropping the whole thing in a cup of varnish stripper for a week, lol)?

I hate stingers and the first thing I used to do with a pipe that had one is pull it out or cut if off it was part of a threaded tenon. I get the idea of them but all they ever did for me was gurgle. I wouldn't use anything caustic on something I'm gonna smoke (you probably know that) - how about just sanding off the high parts like you did the rim and leaving the dark in the carvings? You might even be able to get some of that out with a tool or sandpaper on a mandrel or a tool on your Dremel etc.? Then a bit of stain, some good wax,,,who knows?

I took it for its first test flight about an hour ago.
I bought a pound of Autumn Evening a year ago before I knew about online tobacco, and before I knew who Cornell and Diehl were! I still have a few ounces left, it served its purpose, i.e. never buy tobacco at a retail store if you can help it, and especially if you can identify the company who made it! Hope you enjoy your suped up estate pipe, it looks great.

I did get in another smoke last night, with a glass of my Wood Hat Bourbon. I removed the stinger/tenon/thingy in case the metal was imparting an unwanted flavor. This second smoke was an order of magnitude more enjoyable.

I might take that dremel suggestion for redoing the exterior. I'd like to do a nice light stain on it.

Also, the stem is not real great quality; you can feel the lines from the edges of the mold that made it with your tongue. Anyone know where/how to locate replacement stems for random pipes? 🙃

Use one of those dark green scotch-brite dish pads instead. It'll take a little more elbow grease, but it's harder to screw up the bowl. You'll still get down to bare wood too. If you don't want to use running water and soap with the scrub pad, you can just get the pad wet and squeeze it out really well. They're cool too because you can squash them down in the bowl and spin them around from the top with your fingertips, like tightening down a wingnut. That way you safely get the very bottom, rounded parts without damage.

I have a couple of these; came in 3's and I only needed one. Can't attest to the quality, and the tenon is large (which is what I needed) but thin so it might not work for you. If you can use it PM me an address and I'll send you one.

xSErEj9m.jpg
s5tMshfm.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple of these; came in 3's and I only needed one. Can't attest to the quality, and the tenon is large (which is what I needed) but thin so it might not work for you. If you can use it PM me an address and I'll send you one.

xSErEj9m.jpg
s5tMshfm.jpg
That's just too kind of you! I will measure the end of my stem tonight to see if it will work. I'll post results here.

Can you also please tell me how many mm wide and long that tenon is?

Approx 17/32" (13.49mm) wide and 5/8" (15.875mm) long. I'm afraid it's probably too wide, and the bore is large so the tenon wall is pretty thin; you wouldn't be able to turn it down.

You can probably smooth out that seam so you can't feel it. I got these on ebay; might be something there that will work for you if this one doesn't.

Approx 17/32" (13.49mm) wide and 5/8" (15.875mm) long. I'm afraid it's probably too wide, and the bore is large so the tenon wall is pretty thin; you wouldn't be able to turn it down.

You can probably smooth out that seam so you can't feel it. I got these on ebay; might be something there that will work for you if this one doesn't.
Thanks for trying! Mine is like this...

Attachments

• 20230710_204026.jpg
    20230710_204026.jpg
    920.8 KB · Views: 0
Oops; 13/32" not 17/32". Equals about 10mm but probably still too wide. Sorry.
Thanks for offering! I'm sure I'll come up with something eventually.

In the meantime, I will try sanding those ridges a bit to make the lip more comfortable. Just wish there was something I could do about the bore of the stem. Can't get a pipe leaner all the way through. I don't know why the people that make these things sometimes don't take that into consideration; it's not my only pipe with that problem.