C&D Big and Burley #103

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomas Tkach":fvmxk0kt said:
I have a feeling I'm not going to like OJK. I can hardly imagine Burleys less light and sweet than B&B. It makes me scared to crack that can now.

The lat is definitely a condiment here, and really blends in to the earthiness of the burley. There's a lot more of it in Epiphany, for instance.
fresh blends of both can be rather 'alarming'--but still good --order enough of both to glass a half pound in cache--i'm smoking now out of some of each that is over six years old--both are smoother, milder and actually sweeter--
i believe BnB is still the stronger flavor, while OJK retains the nic to a higher degree--but it's a close call--i swear my aged OJK is really sweet--no blender here, but i guess it must be the perique working--

your point on OJK and the nic hit is well observed--even though i have smoked it for years, depending upon my physical and mental condition, sometimes it can really work me over--and i've been smoking a pipe for over 60 years--guess there is always one blend that can do you in no matter how long you have been at it<<smile>>

>>>>>father tom wrote>>>I think you got the wrong thing packaged in the baggie.>>>>>>>>>>
that's gotta be it--

Lonecoyote":lcy3xa2f said:
My last order a month ago from Smokingpipes I received the 1lb. bulk of Big N Burley that I always order to age as my stock gets depleted. The blend has changed ever so slightly over the past 5 years but I will say the blend is made up of fairly dark tobacco's and no ribbon cut, it's still a rough cut with a minimal amount of Latakia, Perique and Turkish. I use Big N Burley for some of my own blends so I go through allot. It's still a decent smoke by itself ( it's NOT Storm Front ) and gets much better with a minimum of 6 months of aging. Fresh, you might get a tongue bite and it smokes a bit harsh.
I think what Fr. Tom stated is most likely correct.
I'll try to take a picture of my bag. I just received the replacement, and it looks like the same as the original shipment. P&C just restocked it, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that they would mislabel two stock barrels (I keep being told by the call center that they fill orders out of big barrels). I'm confused. Either after all these years I'm still ignorant to the difference between ribbon and rough, or something else is at play. If I am indeed receiving the correct tobacco, it isn't so much for me.

Zeno Marx":hljlhq0n said:
...Either after all these years I'm still ignorant to the difference between ribbon and rough, or something else is at play.  If I am indeed receiving the correct tobacco, it isn't so much for me.
Curiosity made me look at mine. I'd call it a rough ribbon cut. Hope that clarifies things. ;)