Churchwardens? Pros? Cons? Preferences?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This post prompted me to joing the ranks of the churchwarden owners! I received a bonus at work and I got the okay from the wife to order the Macqueen Wizard. We will see how it goes, but I am pretty excited.

I had a nice Boswell Plateaux briar churchwarden. I liked it real well. My wife always said she thought it looked cool when I smoked that one. I don't know if it was just this particular pipe or if it was due to my smoking technique, but it tended to get a little gurgley on me before I would finish the bowl. Running a long pipe cleaner down the stem would take care of it... but this is not an issue I have with shorter pipes so who knows??? :scratch:

The Stanwell HCA series is about the only churchwarden pipe that ever really struck my fancy. So, picked up a blasted HCA II, but find myself using the regular stem far more often. Do love its calabashed bowl. 1 of the handy things about the HCA is storage: by always storing it with the regular stem on, can readily stick it my pipe rack. earl

pasq0321":2wh77g20 said:
This post prompted me to joing the ranks of the churchwarden owners! I received a bonus at work and I got the okay from the wife to order the Macqueen Wizard. We will see how it goes, but I am pretty excited.
I bought one of these very early on when I first started and I can't really say that they are good pipes. You'd be better off with a Stanwell HCA or a Nording churchwarden if it's not too late.

I've always liked churchwardens. I think they are a bit geeky to smoke out in public and they scream, "look at me" but in the comfort of ones own home or out in nature they make for a truly awesome smoking experience. As many have already mentioned, they do tend to smoke cooler. They are also perfectly suited for the lounging position.

I have 3 churchwardens:

1 Stanwell HCA VI
1 Savinelli 404
1 Armellini

The Stanwell has a deep, narrow chamber which works great for fold-n-stuff flakes. I use the 2 others for aromatics burning a bit hot.

I have a Savinelli CW that I received with a slightly twisted stem and I was told that this was common, given the length of the rod, anyone else have this problem?

B

Prof":zo1be68y said:
I have a Savinelli CW that I received with a slightly twisted stem and I was told that this was common, given the length of the rod, anyone else have this problem?

B
Yes, I've had the same experience, but with my Stanwell CW. I've actually got three of the same stems (I ordered a couple of extras being sure that I would break one, but haven't yet) and they all have some degree, though slight, or twist to them, Minor, but with every pipe, when I push the stem in, I always check to see that it lines up and is "parallel" to the bowl top, and with my Stanwells the tip of the stem is slightly canted off center.

But, as I'm slightly tilted off center, it seems to work fine.

Natch

I love my Brigham 08' churchwarden, great for sitting and smoking and thats about it. Unless you are reading with the assistance of page clips on your book or with(Gasp!) an e-book. I do enjoy the smoke better but as for out in public or on-the-go the shorter stem variety is more practicable.

Matt:

I have many long-stemmed pipes (more than 20), although I'm not sure they would all qualify as "churchwardens". Some of them are quite large—like the Pipa Croci Calumets. Three of them are meerschaums; the rest are briars.

The main thing to know about churchwardens or any long-stemmed pipes is a question only you can answer—namely, "How do you want to smoke it—hands-free, or holding it in your hand?" Others who've posted here have correctly noted that if you're sitting down and you have at least one hand available to hold the pipe, then you can smoke straight-stemmed churchwardens.

However, if you like to smoke hands-free (for example, while you're working at the computer), then you'll want a bent churchwarden. The vast majority of mine are bent. I can easily hold them in my teeth and smoke to my heart's content while working.

I'll add my approval to the chorus of those who like Stanwell HCAs. The bent Calabash shape is nice. The Cutty shape's stem is too straight to smoke hands-free, but it's a great smoker. Savinelli churchwardens are also nice. I have one dedicated to Coniston Cut Plug, another one dedicated to VaPers, and one for various Lakeland flakeweeds.

Bjarne made some very nice bent churchwardens. Some of them are humongous, but he also made some smaller ones. You can occasionally find them as estate pipes. Dunhill's churchwardens are nice, but very pricey, and they tend to be quite small (usually Group 3); consequently, you have to be careful not to let them get too hot. James Upshall churchwardens are relatively rare, but they're terrific smokers.

I should mention Peterson churchwardens; I've never owned one, but I own many other Peterson pipes, and they're great smokers. If I "needed" another churchwarden, I'd get a Peterson.

Those are all briars. Meerschaum churchwardens have some advantages over briar. They're much lighter, and it's probably impossible to burn them out. However, you shouldn't handle the bowl directly, especially when the pipe is warm; the oils on your hands can leave marks on the surface. But there's plenty of stem to hold onto. And, as you probably know, meers are fragile; you don't want to drop them. Fortunately, most meerschaum pipes come with a fitted case, which protects the pipe. Altinok makes some nice meer-wardens.

:joker:

Ah yes, the churchwarden. Perfect tool for when the contemplative smoke is the order of the moment.

I have seen many references to the HCA line.
In that they come with the 2 stems and are generally deemed well engineered briar, I have coveted one for myself for quite some time.

Probably well worth the asking price but well out of my reach for a pipe.

I do have a Brebbia Lectura, billiard and a StyleBilt with rusticated prince, both purchased off the 'Bay for a song.
The Brebbia is a gurgler no matter what I've tried as far as tobacco.
The StyleBilt though, that's a good smoke that one is.

One or the other generally sees fire once a week or so. When the time is right for total immersion in the smoke and the Now, the churchwarden does lend itself admirably.

I have two of them and I remember the first time that I felt that cool smoke gliding into my mouth. It was quite strange and actually unexpected, but I find that I like it.

Before I even made the decision to smoke a pipe I knew that the Churchwarden was for me. Now that I have a couple of pipes though, I find that there is a time and place for each. I like the long stem while sitting to be sure, but it lends itself well to book reading, watching a movie, or best of all silent contemplation.

I must say that the old lady is even more receptive to the pipe in general when I smoke the churchwardens.

I haven't had occasion to smoke it in public as of yet since the weather has only just started getting up to a balmy 20 degrees this week (compared to 4), but I still haven't been hanging about around town anyway :)

065.jpg

This is the only Churchwarden pipe I've ever owned or smoked; it goes back nearly forty years. I actually used to smoke it some when I was into my clays; now not so much. Since it's a clay it wouldn't be a fair comparison to a brair; great pipe to smoke around Christmastime, though!

I love churchwardens. I used to say I collected them, but the result of that endeavor was that I ended up with several no-name, not-all-that-attractive pieces. I do enjoy my Savenellis and N0rding though. I have one Dunhill but seldom smoke it because it's straight. I'm not a big fan of straight pipes to begin with, and straight churchwardens have serious weight issues.

That said, I've never found churchwardens to be cooler than other pipes, as people often assume them to be. (And why would they be? a couple extra inches wouldn't make any difference, and it's not as it there's an inlet for outside air to get in and cool it down.)

KevinP":z15j8aem said:
I've never found churchwardens to be cooler than other pipes, as people often assume them to be. (And why would they be? a couple extra inches wouldn't make any difference, and it's not as it there's an inlet for outside air to get in and cool it down.)

I do. But I take very long slow deep draws.

KevinP":7u2dq18p said:
I love churchwardens. I used to say I collected them, but the result of that endeavor was that I ended up with several no-name, not-all-that-attractive pieces. I do enjoy my Savenellis and N0rding though. I have one Dunhill but seldom smoke it because it's straight. I'm not a big fan of straight pipes to begin with, and straight churchwardens have serious weight issues.

That said, I've never found churchwardens to be cooler than other pipes, as people often assume them to be. (And why would they be? a couple extra inches wouldn't make any difference, and it's not as it there's an inlet for outside air to get in and cool it down.)
I've been thinking of drilling a small hole in a stem to see/taste if it will make the smoke cooler.

Any of the brothers tried it yet?

SpeedyPete":txyz4nj3 said:
I've been thinking of drilling a small hole in a stem to see/taste if it will make the smoke cooler.

Any of the brothers tried it yet?
You'd be mixing regular air into the smoke track. I'd expect it to have a diluting effect, making the taste weaker.

I love my churchwardens. Love, love, love 'em! They're not practical at all, but they kind of force you to relax -- no clenching the pipe, no holding your hand in an odd position. You just sit back and relax.

Also, they're great for poking anyone who is annoying you!