Colored Stems, yes or no?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domer

Reaction score
There were quite a few in the current P&T magazine, especially the Askwiths.

I kinda like the look.
I think.

Domer":p2ata0k2 said:
There were quite a few in the current P&T magazine, especially the Askwiths.

I kinda like the look.
I think.
Not much for those with striped stems, looks like a guy that couldn't afford the rest of the pinstriped suit and just bought the pants.

My preference is on the more traditional side, black wit a nice Cumberland as fits the shape. Maybe an Amber looking bent with a silver band on bents as that can look like early briars. :twisted: And colored stems are almost a requirement on Meers :twisted:

I love em! I like my pipes with a bit of decoration. I do have a few with black stems but, im drawn to tasteful shape, stem, color combinations (hence my favorite pipes are my Boswells and Ardors)

No!
I am definitely a traditionalists. At most maybe, a Cumberland on the right pipe I can stand. I sold off a Boswell pipe because I could not stand the color of the stem. I did not even smoke it. It looked OK in the photo on the web site but it was too much for me in person. :affraid:

The "amber" colored stems are A-OK with me as are the "orangish" ones on many Meers. Horn stems are just fine along with white (I own none!) and clear Perspex. After those, it's just plain black!!! FTRPLT

When I was new to pipe collecting I didn't like anything but black and cumberland but now I collect and love Castello pipes with colored stems. I will pay a premium for them and will dig deep for a color or shade of color I don't already have. :shock:

Used to just be black for me. But then got into Cumberland stems which I have on several pipes now.

Then was beguiled by the yellow/amber stems on several Pete's (Kapp Royal 80S and 999 Rosslare), plus a Brebbia Sun Meer-lined Author. And also have a Pete XL 26 Silver Spigot special order in the works which will have an amber stem.

And several of my BSP pipes have colored stems - a large rusticated poker with a way cool dark red stem, and another smooth poker with a multi-colored dark amber stem.

And then there's the estate Sav 316 Oscar Lucite, which has a kind of white/swirled stem.

And finally, I love my estate GBD with the Perspex stem.

All to say - yes I do enjoy a colored stem, provided it makes a positive contribution to the style!

:geek:

Cheers,

RR

It depends on the pipe. It depends on the shape, finish, stain and just how it makes the overall look. Some pipe scream classic black while others look great in a deep red or other color.

desertpiper":gam9lcym said:
It depends on the pipe. It depends on the shape, finish, stain and just how it makes the overall look. Some pipe scream classic black while others look great in a deep red or other color.
This is my take as well.

Love the Askwith stems. I don't mind crazy stems but they have to be good stems. The ones that come on grabows in the metallic flake orange for example are just ghastly to me. Since I don't like cheap colorful stems most of mine are black lol.

These are very well done and colorful:

Askwith:
282750_458295987515791_896227445_n.jpg

Or an Ashton like this:

002-006-1461_2.jpg

I tend to agree with Ian. I'm all for them as long as they complement the pipe itself. Love the one on the Ashton above btw.

I really like the cumberland stems... The type where you have took twice or else you would have thought it was black.

The hand-poured stems of Cooke are very cool. I also like the colors you see on Larry Roush pipes. They work well with the aesthetic of some (read: very few) makers. I grew up on the Italian side of things. I can't really say otherwise.

I think they can be an amazing addition to a pipe but they gotta be a real contribution to the look. Some are just ghastly and look like an afterthought. Others make a real statement and are beautiful.

I am rather partial to Cumberland stems although I don't actually own one any longer, I also rather like some of the coloured Acrylic stems, the Brown Amber is a favourite and the Horn or Marble can be quite fetching but I prefer black stems. I really do not like those striped coloured stems that look like candy canes, just personal preference but I find they make a pipe look a bit childish and toy-like but I know many people love them so different strokes for different folks.

huffelpuff":qf7r33uj said:
I think they can be an amazing addition to a pipe but they gotta be a real contribution to the look. Some are just ghastly and look like an afterthought. Others make a real statement and are beautiful.
This is where I'm at. Occasionally I'll see the right Ardor and it will appeal to me, same for a white stem on a the right Castello. But, I haven't yet hit the "buy" button yet.

Comme ci comme ça. A lot of the time they come off as just too precious for my tastes, especially in some of the modern pipes. And I've never taken much of a shine to those GBDs with the transparent acrylic stems either. On the other hand, I don't mind the oxidation on some of my vulcanite either, so there ya go...