cutting v. rubbing out

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbaldhead

Reaction score
Just wondering...I've always rubbed out my VA flakes, but I know there are a lot of guys who cut it. Is there a particular benefit that you see from cutting it over rubbing it out?

-bbh

Just goof around with different ways. Cubed, folded over, rubbed out, etc. There´s no better way but each will be different. I prefer folding and scrunching it a little. It also depends on what flake it is too. Some are thicker or wetter than others so you might need to rub them out or dry a little. McClelland 2015 (broken flake) is pretty thick stuff and quite moist for example. I like to let it dry a little and then lightly break it up before packing. Escudo is pretty thin and does well just folding and stuffing. Part of the fun is figuring out what to do with each one! :lol: :lol:

Gonna try the cutting into little cubes, but so far I have tried the fold over and stuff and the rub out. Personally I like the rub out a lot better for several reasons which one to me is flavor. Don't mind a bit of drying on some Like FVF in a tin, but I don't want it very dry at all. I have a pound of FVF in tins and a pound of bulk and I had to help the bulk some with a little hydration. Thankfully it was not so dry it was bone dry.

The 2015 he mentioned is not near as moist as the FVF tins and I smoke it rubbed out and no wait for me. I have about 2 1/2 pounds of it. I also just bought a bunch of Bob's Chocolate Fake and I like it just like it comes in bulk and hope with crossed fingers this time is not any dryer. I like it as is with no age to speak of. Have not tried it aged, but will at some point after a bit of time passes since I have 2 1/2 pounds of it too.

I seem to like mine less dry than some guys though!

Skip

bigbaldhead":mbeyy5ro said:
Just wondering...I've always rubbed out my VA flakes, but I know there are a lot of guys who cut it. Is there a particular benefit that you see from cutting it over rubbing it out?

-bbh
The advantage for me is when I am out and about the cubes load a little easier and require only a tap of the bowl to settle leaving no mess. I also feel that though the taste is different from the rubbed or folded, it tends to be a bit in the middle and I enjoy it. The cubes seem to burn a bit more evenly and I seldom have any dottle at the bottom of the bowl.

The cubed is a godsend while driving. I don't even have to pull over to load a pipe.

Cutting flakes with scissors is quick and easy but I seem to get more flavor with finely rubbing my flakes. Actual approach depends on the arthritis activity in my hands at the time.

grumpy1":bq6jjtkk said:
Cutting flakes with scissors is quick and easy but I seem to get more flavor with finely rubbing my flakes. Actual approach depends on the arthritis activity in my hands at the time.
I find that the flakes give the most intense flavor, with cubeed coming in a close second, while rubbed being the least intense. I enjoy all 3 forms occasionally and this is one of the things I like about flakes. It's like having 3 different tobaccos for 1 price.

I'll add one method: fine ground in a coffee blender. We've had an extra coffee bean blender/processor for years and few months ago I put it into service on my flakes. I'll often cube them or rub them out, but every now and then I go for fine ground.

For years I rubbed out my flakes fully and let dry until quite dry before filling. For a while now I have been folding but sharply creasing so I get a jagged broken edge, then rolling the stacked folds into a cylinder and gently inserting into the pipe. This does not give as intense flavor as rubbing out but I think I can detect the subtleties of the virginias more and with a Vaper the perique is very smooth not so in your face spicey.

I take the, "It depends", route. If it's moist enough I'll break the flake into pieces just a little smaller than the width of my palm, fold them with the grain then roll them between my palms lightly, usually get a good ribbon that way. If it's pretty dry I just break it into pieces small enough to get into my pipe because if i attempted to rub it i'd just end up with dust. Pipe smoking is already a pretty incomplete burn, i don't need entire pieces of tobacco in my mouth.

well, I used to rub it almost completely. then some years ago i found a site of danish manufacturer MacBarens and watched the video om how you SHOULD smoke flake, and that is rolled in a cylinder and smoked unrubbed.
I tried that and HEUREKA : it is better, cooler, testes more and LASTS longer ... there is of course and issue of lighting it up ...
so, i made my own arrangemet: i roll a large chunk en atop i put some rubbed >>> so it lights easy and then you smoke it slooooowly

brabants draak":2exi5lkr said:
well, I used to rub it almost completely. then some years ago i found a site of danish manufacturer MacBarens and watched the video om how you SHOULD smoke flake, and that is rolled in a cylinder and smoked unrubbed.
I tried that and HEUREKA : it is better, cooler, testes more and LASTS longer ... there is of course and issue of lighting it up ...
so, i made my own arrangemet: i roll a large chunk en atop i put some rubbed >>> so it lights easy and then you smoke it slooooowly
I agree!! :cheers:

ShellBriar":rai9vem8 said:
I'll add one method: fine ground in a coffee blender. We've had an extra coffee bean blender/processor for years and few months ago I put it into service on my flakes. I'll often cube them or rub them out, but every now and then I go for fine ground.
The Cuisinart food processor comes with a dough "blade", and I've been tempted to throw in a little McClelland 2015 with a dash of McClelland 2035 and let it break it up. I don't think it will cut it up. It's a plastic blade with a relatively blunt edge. Might be a good way to break up a mass of flake at once (not that I can think of any reason to do that other than for experiment...or a trip if it turns out working better than expected).

brabants draak":qr2l8alr said:
This seems to work well for me...roll it up and build a small campfire on top.