Dad Passed Away

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, I am really sorry to hear of your dad's passing. I think using his Mont Blanc every time you ship a pipe, gives tribute to the fine job he did raising you. No doubt, there is a little bit of your dad, in every one of those gorgeous pipes you carve.

Sorry for you loss, Brian. I lost my Mother a few months ago, as many of you remember.

It takes time, that's for sure. At least you've had time to prepare (your earlier post)...

My sincerest condolences on your loss Brian. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May your dad rest in peace.

Awesome memories Brian... My dad passed away just little over a year ago and my son and I got a majority of his knife collection...some going back fifty years...three of them sit in my pipe cabinet... Nothing beats good memories and all the little things in life that parents actually leave you with, like morals, manners, and an appreciation for Gods love... Someday well enjoy a bowl together.. I'm sure pipes are allowed in heaven.

James

My sincerest condolences to you. I lost my Dad in 1997. Miss him always.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Brian. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything we can do for you let us know.

So sorry for your loss. The pen and other inanimate objects that a loved one owned has just a wee bit of their soul in it. Cherish that object and you will feel the soul come to you.
Peace to you, brother,

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your sentiments. It's odd, I had to grieve the loss of my father for probably the last 15 years. Oh, he was alive and well most of those years, but he wasn't the father most kids wished they had. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of worse specimens of fathers out there, but I try not to compare. I think it's important just to look at what you have and live with it without comparison, because what you have is what you have.

Dad was always around, but wasn't really "there" for most of my life. Emotionally he was distant, as if his only job in life was to provide financially. Where my brother and sister remember him working on cars and bikes with us with love and care, I remember him swearing at us and throwing fits because of some mistake we'd make, some tool we'd misplaced or something we'd spill in the process. His temper was as high as his selfishness. In my childhood, I don't think I wished for more. I just grew up thinking the way it was was the way it was supposed to be. Some time after graduating from college and getting married, I started to realize there was a Dad-sized hole in my heart. I've had to grieve that for many many years.

Seeing that I'm in Alabama, and he was in Michigan, added to the fact that there wasn't much of a relationship there anymore, I only saw him when I had to go back for funerals. So, my grieving has pretty much run it's course.

I learned a lot from him, but most of what I learned wasn't lessons he knew he was teaching me. I constantly ask myself if I'm emotionally available for my kids, if I'm meeting them on a deeper level, if I'm loving my wife, or if I'm thinking only of myself.

Relationships aren't perfect here on Earth. We take what we get and do our best to make them as good as they can be.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts, prayers and concerns. What a great group of people you all are.

Brian.

Sometimes those painful lessons we learn from our parents, serve as a model to avoid with our own children. Perhaps in some way it was a blessing that you suffered so that you are a better parent to your child today.

What us old folks went through was a different world than that of today, different pressures and unfortunately a different culture.

The fact that you recognize it means you have a leg up on the problem of relationships with your child.

You sound like you'll be a swell parent.

Many decent people here on this forum...many more than you would expect to meet in everyday interactions. I say God bless you all for it....and thank you from the bottom of my heart. I was loosing hope.

Fr_Tom":xsuypnnp said:
It is different for everyone, but it is never easy. There is always unfinished business with fathers. You are on my heart and in my prayers.
this

there for you buddy

rev

Brian: Condolences to you and your family.
I still have my Dad. I don't know what I'll do when he's gone.
Hopefully, your Dad was peaceful when the time came.......

Godspeed,
Sean aka "DoverPipes"

It's never easy to lose a parent. Blessings to you and your family.

Paul

I'm sorry for your loss.
From the evidence that I have seen, I would have to say that your Dad did an outstanding job.

My Condolences Brian to you and your family. I lost my dad 18 years ago, it's never easy, hang in there.

My condolences, Brian. I can only imagine. You are lucky to have those pens, though. May they always bring a pleasant thought to mind.

Sorry I'm late to post, but I offer you my sincere condolences. I'm also glad to hear that you do have a fine writing instrument as a momento that you can use for many years. Writing with a fountain pen is a classy custom. A wonderful personal touch that so few do today.
It's not hard to tell that you are a classy guy as well from your responses.

Sorry to hear about losing your dad.  My dad left in Dec. 1984 and about everyday I still remember to his wisdom, help, and sayings that I didn't think at first.

Jim